NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2010, 11:06 PM

Default Do Ebay stores make money selling overpriced cards?

A complimentary thread to the demise of Ebay and something I don't we have talked about before here.

You see so many people on here complaining about eBay store prices and I whole heartedly agree.

I saw one T206 (Cicotte) in the B/S/T for $110 a while back and there were four examples on eBay in the same grade offered for between $200-250.

Do these stores...make money? They must, or they wouldn't exist, right?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 PM

I think the majority of these "stores" don't NEED to sell anything....they are willing to let their inventory sit there until some ignoramus makes a purchase at an insane price, or they hope that someone who needs a card to complete a set will buy out of frustration. I know that there is a PSA 5 T-206 Bender portrait that I've seen in an eBay store AT LEAST for a year, and it represents about a 50% premium to the highest the card has ever sold. But if or when it does sell, it will more than cover any store expenses the seller incurred. The rest of these stores are just people showing off.....
Old 04-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Tony Quinn

I have had great luck making offers on ebay store inventory. At one time I offered $100 for a card listed at $250 and the seller accepted it. I have no problem contacting a seller with a card for sale and making an offer I am comfortable with even if he does not offer the "make an offer" option. I have also had success in offering cards for trade to sellers. My experience is they would love to get the asking price but in many instances can be very receptive to reasonable offers.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

I think that most of these "buy it now" listings are collectors that really don't want to sell their cards, but would be convinced to sell at a really high price only.

Back in the days of card shops, dealers actually had to move inventory to pay expenses like rent, utilities, salaries, etc. Nowadays it costs virtually nothing to list a card for sale on eBay, which causes a huge amount of clutter.

The best way collectors can deal with this is clicking on the "auctions only" tab. Save your searches with this tab clicked and you won't have to click it every time.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:51 AM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
I have had great luck making offers on ebay store inventory. At one time I offered $100 for a card listed at $250 and the seller accepted it. I have no problem contacting a seller with a card for sale and making an offer I am comfortable with even if he does not offer the "make an offer" option. I have also had success in offering cards for trade to sellers. My experience is they would love to get the asking price but in many instances can be very receptive to reasonable offers.
Except be careful with seller "yepbg" he doesn't like when you do this and will ban you from bidding as well as berate and ridicule you. I mean when a card has averaged $430 over its last ten sales, his $1200 asking price is perfectly reasonable right?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Tony Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
Except be careful with seller "yepbg" he doesn't like when you do this and will ban you from bidding as well as berate and ridicule you. I mean when a card has averaged $430 over its last ten sales, his $1200 asking price is perfectly reasonable right?
I've seen his stuff and never even stopped. The asking price can't be THAT ridiculous when asking about a deal. He's one of the ones I don't even bother with.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
Is that a real seller? I thought it was a beta test seeking deranged compulsive buyers.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Yeah, he's actually the worst, his prices make Levi blush. Smart guy. He should give the underwear gnomes in South Park some business advice.

Phase 1: Collect Underpants
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit

Last edited by calvindog; 04-16-2010 at 08:40 AM.