NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Default Quick Poll.....is this Ex?

Posted By: Mike Williams 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1857182568

Great card, but is the corner wear enough to knock it down to Vg/Ex?

Old 09-11-2002, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have a '14 Knabe #1 card in similar condition....they really kill for the staining as they lump the 14's with the 15's even though we know the 14's almost always came in boxes of caramel and cracker jacks and a lot of the 15's were sent in for and did not come in boxes......the staining did it in.....regards (I think they should take the 14's staining into account....just my opinion though)

Old 09-11-2002, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

This is my one peeve about grading. If that card with those corners, plus staining, gets a 60 then I need to have a couple dozen of my cards re-evaluated.

Old 09-11-2002, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

.....I think the grade is a little generous.

Old 09-11-2002, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

I don't think the card is bad at all. There is some wear on the corners but not VgEx wear. But if a card is merely the corners, why even bother looking at anything else. Here are four other SGC 60 cards right now up for auction (Click on the link.). Take a look at the clarity, the brightness and the picture of the Lajoie (forget the player, let's keep it fair). If you gave me first pick of these five cards and it is the same player on each, I am jumping at the Lajoie. It is simply a nicer, more attractive card. I think the Ex rating is justified.

http://www.cyscards.com/cjacks/cjacks.html

Cy
Old 09-11-2002, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff s

instructive page, that...

the Lajoie's my pick, too.

Old 09-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

should bring the grade down. Right in the white border, too! I have 5 '14s, and only one is stained--it's not impossible (though Lord knows how they DIDN'T get stained, in with all that gooey carmelcorn!).

Old 09-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Williams

that is not creased or way off center/out of register, the corners are the criteria it's graded on. The upper left corner of the Lajoie shows more wear than any of the other examples Cy provided (thanks for the other images by the way!). If it were not for this corner, I'd agree with the Ex. If I was selling the card ungraded, I'd sell it as strong Vg/Ex. Just one mans opinion

Old 09-11-2002, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B Hodes

I think the EX is fair here.
One 1914 Cracker Jack collector I know actually finds the PSA grades (ie the qualifiers) preferable when it comes to this set. Generally, I side with SGC but these cards do pose quite a dilemma. I think the problem I have with qualifiers for staining on 1914 CJs is that you have to determine at what point the qualifier "kicks in" and whether carmel on the front is less tolerable than caramel on the back.

Old 09-11-2002, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I agree with both Cy and Julie. The Lajoie is much nicer than the other Ex cards Cy posted. The corners are not bad at all, and I don't think they should bring the card down below Ex. But the stains are a problem. If this was a 53 Bowman with those stains, it would probably rate VG.

Old 09-11-2002, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ty_cobb

Corners are a definitive grading criteria.
I'd say at least one corner must be there
to grade EX. Your example almost promotes
re-slabbing!

Old 09-13-2002, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

This card is EX to me but I agree with Pete. If I would have submitted this card, it would come back in a 40 holder.

Old 09-13-2002, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Nice card though . . .