NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-14-2002, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Default Please look at this"PRO" auction, provide comments...

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

I know I'm taking a chance posting here, so I'll wait for all the sordid comments to come out and then I'll do my best to ignore the juvenile nature of them and the poster...

But, I'd like the Board's opinions on this auction. I'm not familiar with the seller, "roastedcat". He has good feedback, but we all know people who have taken good feedback "out for a spin" to rip people off on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1858879977

It bears the obvious, age-old question: If these cards are even worth a dime, then why are they in PRO-holders? Thanks. -dan

Old 09-14-2002, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I guess PSA would grade since I have seen postage stamps in PSA looking holders but I don't know if the holder said "PSA" or some company affiliated with PSA.

They aren't cards, will SGC grade these?

Old 09-14-2002, 11:38 AM
Administrator

...will grade Helmar T332 Stamps, they also grade the 1950 R423's which are tiny, stamp-like little strip thingys (strip cards? not sure...they have the perforated/jagged stamp-like edges...so, I'll call them thingys). Anyway, I have both of those in holders right now, orange and purple backs, so I know they grade 'em.

-dan

Old 09-14-2002, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

The seller is a good guy so~
"Bid with confidence" and yes,both SGC/PSA will grade these as PC implied. They look nice and don't worry,I do not collect any matty stuff over 1926* So I'm not going to snag you out of these and my birthday is not for a while so RK won't snipe you either!

Old 09-14-2002, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

Dan:

Late last-year, Mastro had a lot of 17 PSA graded stamps (lot 762). 3 1915 Postaco stamps (Cobb 6, Mack 7 and Alexander 4) and the rest were 1939 Centennial B.B. stamps. In that lot there was a Cobb 8, Wagner 8, Collins 8, Keeler 8, Lajoie 8, Matty 5, etc.

Several months ago, Teletrade had several Centennial's graded by PSA. I have not seen any of those slabbed by SGC.

As you said:

<< If these cards are even worth a dime, then why are they in PRO-holders? >>

Have you asked the seller that question?

Old 09-15-2002, 09:17 AM
Administrator

...I did ask the seller about "...why in PRO Holders, since they have such a HUGE rep for slabbing altered cards, etc." No answer. It seems that when you ask sellers point-blank about why they have cards in PRO Holders rather than a reputable one that will get their card more money, they either refuse to respond, or start talking about things like the moon, the stock market, or the new carpet they put in their living room.

Here's another auction to look out for...another (unfortunately) fake Matty signature auction. Look at all the bidders. Almost all the bidding is being done by two eBay buyers. One with (0) Feedback, one with (1) Feedback. Smells like a shill to drive up the price... Of course, eBay will do nothing about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1857620420

Regards all...

-dan

Old 09-15-2002, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

...that sends up a red flare? In my estimation, the signature looks legit! The ONLY detrimental factor I don't like is the semi-circular arc of the autograph, which I haven't seen before on any Matty official document signature (but then again, official documents usually provide a straight line for a signature). Besides that, the letter formation, flow, characterization, connections, ink, and crossed "t's" look very convincing. When you say 'fake' in reference to this auction, are you referring to the possible shilling aspect of it, or the piece itself? Thank you, D.