NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Default 1st February pickup thread

Posted By: Dave F

Just got it today. Roy Mack (Connie's son) who eventually was one of the team owners..at this point I think was just team secretary though.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Picked up a lot of four different rppcs. Here's a couple of them.

Clint

Old 02-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

I just bought this off ebay not even 2 hours ago, but im really happy about it. To me i think it's pretty rare. What do you guys think. A wire photo of Joe DiMaggio playing first base in 1950. Now joe only played one game at first in his career. Look at the camera guy in the back ground, that is cool.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Fantastic photo Brock. I don't believe I've ever seen an image of Joltin' Joe at first.

Congrats!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Dan
Best thing about is i only payed $26 which i think is a steal.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Congrats, Brock... that is indeed a steal. I can't believe photographers were allowed that close to the players as late as the 40s/50s.

Do you know who the baserunner is? Looks like #45 for either the White Sox or Senators? He sure is a tall looking fellow!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:22 AM
Administrator

The player is Eddie Joost of the Senators.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

Just got this G-C Cubs razor bank.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Nice Piece, Brock...

Did you get that one via Ebay or Inside the Park Collectibles? Or perhaps by other means? I am curious, as I bought a bunch of these pieces from the original heir to the Gibbs Conner estate about 3 years ago.

Since then, a moderate amount have popped up under different venues (Ebay, Mastro, ITPC). I think Inside the Park got at least 75% of the hoard, but I may be wrong. They have been auctioning these off, little-by-little.

I am not sure exactly how many of these prototypes were actually made/survived, or how much inventory ITPC is still sitting on. I think some are lots rarer than others, but I guess only time will tell.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

I got this bank from Inside the Park Collectibles.
I have also wondered just how many of these prototype statues are out there. Do you have any idea of just how many pieces there were in the G-C estate find that all these pieces came from? And how did you come about acquiring pieces from the estate?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I purchased quite a lot... probably over 65 pieces total. I was able to reach the G-C Heir early in his liquidation process, and developed a close relationship with him. He asked only that I not re-sell these pieces on ebay (as he did not want to dilute the market). I believe he also struck a deal with ITPC, and did not want them to be competing with ebay sellers and the like. This was never a problem, as I intended only to collect these, and was not interested in selling.

Some of the pieces that I acquired, I have never seen surface again, and others I have seen multiple times. A few of the pieces were said to have been "one of three" existing examples. Others were said to be the "last example without any chips, cracks or flaws". I only bought pieces in Mint Condition (which most were, due to never having been circulated to the general public).

The main condition problem they were having was that the wrapping paper was sticking to the ceramic. After 50+ years of sitting in storage, perhaps the humidity caused the tissue paper to stick. When they attempted to pull the paper off, they pulled the paint and glaze off along with it. They then started using a product called "Goof Off", and it apparently helped them to resolve the problem. The Heir said that they cleaned up perfectly.

As far as the number of these prototypes in existence, I think only a few people know the real answer, and they probably don't want this information to go public. When I was inquiring about a White Sox Bank, I was told that there were originally 10. Regarding a few other pieces, I was told there were less than 5. That's all I know... so I am very curious as to how many are truly in existence.

I suppose what really matters is that these were previously unknown, and are very displayable pieces that have added greatly to the figural baseball realm. ITPC seems to keep coming up with new variations, so who knows where it actually ends? I would have thought these might be realizing more money, but I guess only a small handful of people really know the answer to how scarce these pieces are.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jantz

I picked this up yesterday at a toy show. Its an interesting read & the last 25 pages of the book are about the All-American Girls Baseball League. Along with a few photos scattered throughout the book.

Jantz

Old 02-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Administrator

I used to own the same book, but on mine Ted Williams had signed the front. Very nice book.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I have been buying way too much lately (If that is possible). But I did get this pin as a throw in when I bought this ballplayers entire paper-estate. He was a member of the Texas Tech Bowl winning Football team of the late 1930's, and set the record of the West Texas/NM League with 23 wins in 1939. In 1940 he went to Moline of the 3I league and I was able to get some photos/programs/his contract, and this pin. His name was Jodie Marek and I thought I would see if any of the pinback guys on here had ever seen this one before?

Rhys

Old 02-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

I've heard of the Moline Plow Boys, but have never seen that pin. Can't wait to see some of the WTNM stuff. I've got a bunch of 1939 snapshots from that league. Had to be tough to be a pitcher in the WTNM....barely a strand of grass anywhere to slow down the ball.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Picked up a nice group of 1950 Giants and Braves snapshots. Anyone recognize any of the players?

edited to add Mystery solved thanks to a lurker. The photos show Bob Hall, Sal Maglie and Larry Jensen sneaking a smoke.

This one is rather interesting in that it was halfway colorized.
?

?

This one I can tell is Tommy Holmes
Tommy Holmes

?

sneaking a smoke in the tunnel
Photobucket

Old 02-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pat Nester

Just obtained today in a private transaction this 1919 White Sox Pass that previously belonged to former Chicago judge and mayor William Dever. Purchased from an antique dealer who acquired some items out of his estate. Noted as Honorable WM Dever on pass. Made of celluloid.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Nicely done Pat.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;
It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock
The meat it feeds on; that cuckold lives in bliss
Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger;
But, O, what damned minutes tells he o'er
Who dotes, yet doubts, suspects, yet strongly loves!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Vincent

Nothing earth shaking, but this was my first pick up for both 2008, and the month of February.

Three album page-sized line sheets, signed by 18 members of the 1942 Detroit Tigers team. Del Baker signed a second time on the back of one of the three sheets.

What is very cool about this purchase is that I already have two cream-colored album pages of similar size, signed by several other members of the 1942 Detroit team. Together, the three lined sheets and two album pages contain nearly the whole 1942 Detroit Tigers roster. They should display nicely when framed with a 1942 team photo and/or scorecard.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

I picked up the "big Bill" Devery pinback at the Yee auction:

$300--don't know whether that's a good price or not, but this is the first such pinback I've seen. Probably from his New York City Mayoral run.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Randall Adams

</p>

Old 02-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Picked up this nice 1927 Senators team wire photo. Includes Sam Rice,Tris Speaker,Bucky Harris and also Goose Goslin and Stanley Coveleski. Does anyone know why Walter Johnson aint in the photo. This photo of taken right after spring training.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Just got this in the mail today - THANKS MARK!!!!

Dick Stuart's bracelet
Dick Stuart's Bracelet

Old 02-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Also picked up a nice little lot of mid 1950s Detroit snaps

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 02-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Hey Guys,

I recently picked up this item, and I am thrilled with it. It is a 1935 Philadelphia Eagles Panoramic photo. It measures about 8 by 27 inches, and does have some cracking. I purchased the photo from the son of a 1930's Eagles player. I am going to have the photo professionally framed.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Great pickup Keith. Panoramas are my favorite type of photos.