NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default Boston Braves pin question

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I recently acquired the Boston Braves pin scanned below and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with the following questions:
1. Who made it?
2. How old is it?
3. Is it part of a set where there is one per team? I got this from a flea market dealer who said he had about 50 more (7 or 8 different teams) in a can at home.
4. Value? That is, besides the 5.00 in nonsports cards in trade I gave to get this pin.
5. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 11-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jims

The pin in question is a circa 1950 american nut and chocolate pin. There are 16 different pins in the set. There are also 16 small pennants. I believe that each box of candy had one pin, one pennant and several pieces of candy. It is a very popular set and quite easy to complete.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Thank you Jims! I had no idea it was from a catlogued set, I just figured it was something obscure. I checked on Old Cardboard and it showed a year of 1935, but if these were issued at the same time as the player pennants from the same company, they would be 1950. If the year on Old Cardboard is incorrect, I am guessing the price is also incorrect (25.00 each), but I have no idea. If they sell for more than 5.00 each I might try to get the whole lot of them, depending on condition and bulk price.
Thanks again,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 11-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Alan, if you can assemble a complete set at $5/pin you will be doing very well. Consider that each of these pins sells on ebay in the $10-$20 range...sometimes a bit more for the Brooklyn pin. I'd definitely go for it if I were you.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Dan-
Thank you very much! I am not sure if I will call him (and appear to eager) or wait until I see him at the flea market next weekend (supposedly he is bringing them in for me, but every one knows how that can turn out). Either way I am quite pleased with how I did at the flea market as I also bought a Mecca and a Hassan cigarette packs possible 1910 era (has the stamp, very similar to ones on Leon's website) very cheaply, as well as some nice valuable Boy Scout patches. I will post the cigarette packs after I do some more research to ensure they are period.
Sorry for the rambling and thanks again for the help.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Alan,
Dan is right its a fun little set to work on. They do come up on ebay often and if you can try and buy a nice lot of them 8-10 at a fair price. And set a limit of lets say 15-18 dollars each. You will prob. get them a bit cheaper. Being tin litho try to check for sctatches as that will make them alot cheaper. Good luck!

Old 11-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred Y

For those not completely familiar w/ this issue is it is generally recognized as 1950 American Nut & Chocolate, altho some use 1949 as a date also, and some have even listed it wrongly as a 1930's issue!

My set was put together back in the day as I ate the candy and I would definitely class it as 1950-51-ish!

Notice the Washington pin is Nationals & the pennant is Senators--That's the way they were produced.

The last pic on the pin page is a cutout from the front of a box--The pennants are 4" long & the pins are 1 1/8" around.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Great stuff...thanks for sharing Fred. I've always loved that Athletics Pin....it would fit nicely in my Lincoln Athletics collection simply because it doesn't say "Philadelphia" on it.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jim sexton

Here is the box the pennants and pinsPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket came in.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Hi Dan--

Wish I had a dupe of that A's pin for 'ya, but they DO show up on the 'Bay every so often.

Jim--

Is there an exact Company name & location on that box?? I hate to think how many I cut up to get the little pin picture circles !!!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jim sexton

Hi Fred, On the end flap of the box it says "American nut & choc Co., Boston, Mass."

Old 11-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Thanks Jim!

I had a chance to buy a box a couple of times, but it was too much $$!

I'm just as happy w/ the pins & pennants complete anyhow.

I saw a complete set at the recent Boston show--Dealer was asking $400 for it and it was only EX at best---Mine is much nicer! LOL!!

Old 11-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

I saw a box on ebay with the contents sale for less than $100 just in the last year.

edited because my reading comprehension sometimes sucks.