NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Default We are an extended family on Net54 VBCF

Posted By: leon

In this holiday season I feel it is appropriate to make a post concerning the fact that, it is my opinion, we are pretty much an extended family on Net54 VBCF. Some folks come, and go, but the core group of about 300 of us are caring of each other. I remember when I found out my wife's uncle (who was like her dad) passed away, and I was at the National, a few of my friends showed real care and concern. We also know Dan Koteles is having some trying times right now and our thoughts and prayers are with him and his wife. It is very heartwarming to see when we come together, at least in moral support, for a common cause and to help each other. Thanks to all on the board for making this a great place with a lot of really thoughtful folks. We might have a few spats, and so forth, but at the end of the day most of us do care about each other; and that is what is important...........warmest regards and happy holidays to all...

edited for a little gramma'

Old 12-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Absolutely we are a community of friends, and that is really what makes the board work. When someone starts a post about nearly any subject, I'm always impressed with the volume of responses. Regular board members like to share with one another, and I doubt there are too many other chatboards with this kind of unity.

Hope it stays this way for a long time to come.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Hello Leon,
I would also like to take the time and extend a great Happy Holidays to you and yours and to the other members of the board. I completely understand just what you are saying , having lost my father just before Christmas and as you also know going thru major medical issues with my wife the arguements seem rather petty and foolish. People should really take a step back and look at the REAL world around you. Dan my heart goes out to you hang in there it does get better. Happy Holidays to all and may the new year bring a renewed feeling of change and peace to all.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

Leon.... Thanks...I have been collecting on and off for the past 30 yrs or so. This Board has helped me in so many decisions on what to add. .... to the collection......... Thank you all. My Wife left a feeeeeeew Honey drops...my Mouse gets stuck.........

Old 12-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Christmas, Hanukkah, Festivus...whatever floats your boat. I've met some really great friends here and find the socializing to be such fun that I'd attend the National just for the hanging out even if I couldn't afford to buy cards. Who'da thunk it when we handed out the ID stickers and had that first dinner in Cleveland...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 12-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Vincent

. . . and like many families, there are those moments of teasing and generally good-natured jabs, and those other times where tempers flare, and tears are shed. But it's all of these factors, plus the overwelmingly willingness of the Net54 membership to help and share that keeps me here. I may not contribute frequently, but I read each and every thread, and have benefitted greatly. My thanks to all of you. Happy Holidays, and may 2009 bring all our families good health and joy.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

One big happy dysfunctional loving family! Throughout the year:

We debate
We opine
We slug it out
We sometimes whine

But in the end after alls said and done, we still put up with each other.... why? Now that's a damn good question to which there must be a good answer... oh yeah, I guess it's because we all have something in common that most sane and reasonable people wouldn't understand...

We all love pictures of dead guys on cardboard... try telling that to someone that doesn't like baseball or baseball cards... they just wouldn't understand... but all of us do.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lance

Leon,
Well put. Dan is a great guy and I hope we can all come together to help out as much as possible. Our prayer will be with him and his wife.

Lance

Old 12-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

Yes and thanks to all for the warmth and prayers that you all have given us so far, the privates (Greg and Bruce)BST, my phone pals and this post.This is comforting, really. My wife is the backbone to my life and without her isnt imaginable. I know that we all go through tough times in many ways , but when are love ones are down it puts everything else aside.

AL -I didnt know that you lost your father right before Christmas and iam very sorry, my heart goes out to you at this time. Both my parents are gone and to get through it, at times I pretend that they are on a nice vacation and they will be back in a couple of weeks ,it helps me a little. The board family here is tremendous and is a nice shoulder to lean on.

We lost her mom a couple of years ago and then the 2 dogs we had in consecutive months and not having kids those dogs were family too. The board sent a ton of love in those times. The prayers for my wife again I appreciate, this is very important.Lance you have been swell in comfort too, thank you. The one picture I wanted all to see is the the love inside the house that gives us comfort in these times. Meet "Sammy the bull" and "the Crumpster".

[linked image]
These 2 have never-ending love. They take the place of the 2 that I lost. I didnt forget the dog pics that the board put up when I posted about having to put one down. These creatures mean the world to us, dont they.

Thanks again
xoxo
Dan Koteles

Old 12-28-2008, 03:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I hvae formed a number of friendships here over the past five years. As others have stated when a board member has had/is having difficulties others have been/are very supportive.

Al and Dan my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Cline - RC

This site takes more of my time than I would probably like to admit, but yes, we are
a family, with all the warts, etc....

I have learned so much about vintage cards here and the BST is a great source for cards with almost total trust in the sellers and buyers.

Happy New Year and best wishes to everyone.

RC

Old 12-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I hope to meet more of you in the future. Best wishes to all, & happy collecting. Dan, I hope everything works out fine for your family. Sincerely, Paul

Old 12-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Leon,

54 has been a great ride... I had a blast in Chicago and really enjoyed meeting all of the people that I deal with on a regular basis. I also appreciate being allowed to camp out with you Scott and Richard at "the table".... Be well Brian

Old 12-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hugs to all... and wishes for a safe New Year.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I've not had the opportunity to meet any other board members in person, but the individuals I've conversed with via email and the Net54 chat room have all been entirely pleasant. This really is a great group of collectors on here!

Old 12-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

I echo the above sentiments and hope to see all in Cleveland, especially those members who've not attended recent Nationals. Mark

Old 12-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

Dan,

I know what you mean about our beasts being family. My wife and I have 5 dogs (English Mastiff, 2 boxers, a boston terrier, and a chihuahua), a cat, and 2 birds and no children. I call it my catholic pet family. They went with us to St. Louis and back to Arizona a our constant companions. I also make pets part of my life by fixing them. I am a veterinarian practicing for 23 1/2 years. Peoples pets in reality have put a roof over my head and fed my family. The human/ pet bond is amazing. I hope all goes well with your wife and her medical journey. Don't know where you are going and why, but god bless you. When we went to Barnes, it was an amazing place full of wonderful caring people. I would classify it as one of the best medical centers in America for just about any medical issue.

Best,

Kmac

Old 12-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

this is,indeed, a great place to be and Dan K. has been one of the very best
since my coming on board aeons ago. Blessings to you and your wife,Dan.

happy new year, friends

best,

barry

Old 12-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ralph

Happy Holidays to all, Leon ,thanks for making this whole thing happen for us cardboard collecting junkies

Old 12-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

you know as fellows we have to be sorta softies to still be pursuing our childhood passions and while there are just few "grinches".....it is humbling for the soft words of comfort that some have and physcologically there might be a slight connection.

Baseball cards & tenderness is good for the heart ,Barry .A and Ken you gimme the "gumps" !

Ken -It is funny that I have 5 animals, (2 wild)have Catholic pets like you do. The love that they mutually expect from us is incredible. I spend nearly 2 hrs a day bleach cleaning up from my 2 free flyers "Bubba and Iggy"... my in house Blue JAys direct from my backyard.

Ken Iam very glad you wife is great,mine did not know anything about what I was doing , but I just have shown here the posts here and the BST replies, i was careful and read them all to her. She doesnt even know of the phone calls that I have made in regards of health care. Our information package and video came Saturday so I will leave it with her to gather Monday while Iam at work. Some-time in JAnuary I will be taking charge to hurry this along for a speedier recovery and with the boards sincere prayers and her continued faith ,I will believe the outcome will be what we want. In return ,I know and have read of other members having health issues with their loved ones ,I will get my prayers out to you all tonite as well.

Thanks again
Dan

Old 12-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Dan - your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

family and friends are the most important things on this earth, so I understand what Leon is saying. My family had a pretty tough year as well as many of you have, so having a little faith and preying sometimes always helps

god bless you all and your families

Jimmy

Old 12-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Tough year here too, but hopefully '09 will be much better. I hope to get out a bit more in '09 and meet some of you folks. This site has helped immensely in taking my mind off those real life problems we all face.

Dan-good luck to you, the missus and the beasts, I truly all ends well.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I was saddened to hear about Dan and Al's plights and wish them the very best. Both have been extremely nice and cordial to me and though I have never met either in person, I consider them friends.
This Board has been truly wonderful for me as not only has it proven an invaluable source of information about the hobby but I have so many "on-line" friends and have been lucky enough to meet many of you gals and guys at Nationals. I have yet to meet one single person at a National that wasn't someone I considered to be a really nice person. It is always great to meet someone for the first time who you have exchanged thoughts with on-line or made deals with. I only wish that I had a chance to get know everyone a lot better, but maybe in the years ahead that will happen.
Happy holidays from the Ozarks,
tbob

Old 12-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Bob,
Thankyou thats a very nice statement to make . I to also feel I have made many NEW friends on the board and always take the time to read as many of the posts as possible. I dont get the chance to post as much as I did before but as we know some things in life take a back seat to the realities that are before you.
Dan,
My prayers are there for you and your wife . Having been down this road one thing I can offer up to you is my EMAIL ""light" is always on dont be afraid to use it ! I truly mean that! You learn many things when you confront this demon but one thing you learn very quickly is there is always something new being tried and ALWAYS keep a smile on your face and a positive attitude if you can do that then there is NOTHING to fear!!!

Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Anderson

And here I thought I was going to be the crazy pet person in the group! Although I only have one cat (albeit quite big and could count as 2), I became engaged last week and my fiance will be bringing 2 dogs and 4 more cats into the family! All 7 of our pets were rescues. I'm already trying to think of how to start protecting my collectibles an our animals from each other!

Best wishes to all on the board - those currently in times of trial as well as those in times of blessings.

Mark Anderson

Old 12-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

[linked image]