NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Fake Babe Ruth Headin' Home card

I have reported this one to ebay, several months ago, and also emailed the seller about it. The seller doesn't believe me but this card is one of the worst fakes I have seen. Just a heads up so no one gets burned. It is way too grainy and the photo is of very poor quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Babe-Ruth-1920-H...mZ290415767506

and here is one of mine that is in poor shape but should be able to show the difference

Last edited by Leon; 03-20-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Clayton

Thanks for outing this Leon.What is CCG?Never heard of that.He knows it's not real,because if he really thought it were real,he would send it to a legit grading company,like SGC-and probably pull in more $$ than he is asking for now.
Also,there is the possibility that someone burned him with that card,and he/she refuses to believe it.But even in that case,with any reasonable doubt,you are wrong to sell it as an original,until you know for sure.

Regards,Clayton
Old 03-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Scott

Those two aren't even close. Hopefully nobody bids on that piece of crap.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:49 PM

Clayton,

If you look at this sellers Feed Back and see some of the items he has recently sold, you will see a number of "questionable" cards, some of which have been graded by CCG.

This guy KNOWS he is selling fakes and doesn't care.

Didn't Leon previously say he tried to talk to this guy about his card being fake and yet he continued that auction and has now relisted the card?

My opinion on these scam artists is this; if they know about getting cards graded yet STILL try and sell cards "graded" by unknown or little known grading companies (instead of the big three or four) then they are absolutely positive their cards are fake and are purposefully ripping people off.

If the guy says book value on this Ruth card in this condition is $900 dollars yet is asking only $585 and says his card is graded by CCG then he must KNOW that if the card were in a PSA or SGC holder that it would more likely attain a selling price close to, if not above, the $900 dollar mark. Thus making the extra cost involved in getting his card graded by PSA or SGC worth the time and money involved.

David
Old 03-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Clayton

I agree with you 100% David.
Of course he knows it's fake.I didn't look at his ebay buys,just looked at the auction link,and read the sellers description.
Thought it was very odd that it looks like it is in a screw down holder,but seller claimed graded by some place I've never heard of.
At any rate,I don't understand why ebay won't hire someone with a vast knowledge of cards (from this board would be a great place for them to find such a person),and have it be "policed".Weed out the scam artists,the fake cards,and throw all of the reprint modern crap into it's own little section.
If you just put T206 baseball cards into ebays search bar,it is loaded with Topps 206 cards and the like.I know there is a way to exclude this stuff,but it shouldn't have to be done by us-should be done by them.

Sincerely,Clayton
Old 03-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default ebay sort of does

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
I agree with you 100% David.
Of course he knows it's fake.I didn't look at his ebay buys,just looked at the auction link,and read the sellers description.
Thought it was very odd that it looks like it is in a screw down holder,but seller claimed graded by some place I've never heard of.
At any rate,I don't understand why ebay won't hire someone with a vast knowledge of cards (from this board would be a great place for them to find such a person),and have it be "policed".Weed out the scam artists,the fake cards,and throw all of the reprint modern crap into it's own little section.
If you just put T206 baseball cards into ebays search bar,it is loaded with Topps 206 cards and the like.I know there is a way to exclude this stuff,but it shouldn't have to be done by us-should be done by them.

Sincerely,Clayton
There is some kind or program they have, for industy folks, to report things and have them generally be looked at favorably. I am on their sports card list, I believe. After they did nothing about this one I pretty much wrote that program off. This card has been on ebay for several months and relisted many times, each time with a lower price. I should also clarify that I am only 99% sure it's fake, not 100%....1 in a 100 times the scan is way, way different than what the card really looks like. I think it's safe to assume this card on ebay isn't real though. If it was real it would have been bought several times over.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:25 PM

Clayton,

It is things like this that make me hope that some day the corporate officers of eBay are sued for allowing fraud to be committed.

They have a company policy in place saying they are against fraud, they have a program in place to report fraud and they have people that they consider reliable sources that they can turn to yet they continue to allow this card to be listed as an original even after it has been reported many times.

David
Old 03-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Jim D

CCG is probably the guys initials...... Maybe Chris Morales could try that next!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!