NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2014, 07:05 PM

Default This should stop smoking......

Can you imagine a three pack a day habit at these prices:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLAR-BEAR-T...item54129515b8
Old 10-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default one just sold on the Bay

for three hundred and change. Multiple lot with 2 polar, couple Jack Frost I think and maybe 2 Brownies all unopened hammered around 600.00 in a recent aution. They're out there - not hundreds but quite a few. I've sold 4 or 5. The real key like any unopened pack is to find one with the right attributes. I guess I've seen 15-20 overall and almost every one where the cancel can be discerned - there rests a late 1920's (couple) or later stamping (majority 195?). Sometimes a seller or AH will suffice their description with "1910" stamp and ignore what might be a salient date to the purchaser who thinks there's possibly a card inside. Sometimes ignorance, sometimes deception. At times there is no cancellation or it has faded. Strange how often I've been able to read the factory info but - wait for it - haven't been able to decifer the date. Sometimes the last couple of numbers seem to have fallen into an abyss.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Why would someone shrinkwrap this pouch? If it was leaking tobacco, maybe.
But it's not. Someone could open it carefully and pull the card out. Then put it back together and shrinkwrap it to make it look like it's unopened. Sounds fishy to me.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
Why would someone shrinkwrap this pouch? If it was leaking tobacco, maybe.
But it's not. Someone could open it carefully and pull the card out. Then put it back together and shrinkwrap it to make it look like it's unopened. Sounds fishy to me.
I want an MRI done! Ok, at the very least a CAT Scan or an X-Ray.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Mark

but didnt tax stamps get used for multiple years? meaning, the pack it was placed on was regulated, taxed, followed, coincided with, etc. the tax stamp of that particular year? so a pack from 1912 or 13 could very well have a 1910 stamp on it
Old 10-23-2014, 07:32 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by lug-nut View Post
but didnt tax stamps get used for multiple years? meaning, the pack it was placed on was regulated, taxed, followed, coincided with, etc. the tax stamp of that particular year? so a pack from 1912 or 13 could very well have a 1910 stamp on it
Yes, sometimes for a really long time. The key would be the cancel, which should show the company, factory and at least the month and year. The one in the link doesn't seem to have a legible date. I can make out A.T. and maybe part of Co. , but none of the date. And of course of all the pics included that's the one with bad focus and glare off the shrinkwrap. I'm betting the date if it's legible isn't in 1910. Or even 1911-12.

Steve B
Old 10-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

This is a picture of a Honest Long Cut tobacco pouch that I own. It appears to be unopened. But it's not. Shrinkwrapping it makes it look like it's unopened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honest.jpg (16.8 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by rdwyer; 10-23-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Jon Canfield

That packs dates to the 1930s. There is red overprinting on the tax stamp, which has conveniently been erased on this pack (you can still see the areas where the red overprinting was). I'm not trying to imply it is the current seller who did this, but the red overprinting on Polar Bear packs is very prominant, so someone clearly wanted to remove that date.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Mark

the pack itself doesn't look like its from the teens, i was thinking the late 20's or 30's as well...someone may be trying to pull the wool over an unsuspecting buyer.