NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-04-2013, 10:05 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Default T206 Wagner partial back. Really Huggins & Scott?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

As a bit of a T206 nut and guy who tends to stray down the path of the crazy T206 errors and back hype. Heck I even tried to buy the "Blue" Old Mill so I'm one to talk.

I just find this more than a bit silly….and a real stretch. If not Huggins making the leap what consignor spun this hope and dream story? Makes you wonder.

With no real true sheet this is nothing more than a purchase of faith IMO. Sometimes we deserve to be made fun of as T206 guys.

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=63340

Cheers,

John

P.S. I guess this Bowerman was next to all the other machine or non-handcut cut Piedmont Wagner’s we have floating around.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 11-04-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 AM

Ridiculous!
JimB
Old 11-04-2013, 10:14 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

It was discussed but the thread had a very cryptic title so it would have been easily overlooked:

"Strech"
Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 AM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93 View Post
ridiculous!
Jimb
Old 11-04-2013, 10:21 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
It was discussed but the thread had a very cryptic title so it would have been easily overlooked:

"Strech"
There you go, thanks Andy.So I did double dip dang it! I will raise this question of folks since I started a non-needed thread.

At some point shouldn’t an auction house make some effort to limit stuff like this? I expect this stuff on eBay from some guy who has a few cards trying to make the most out of nothing. I don’t however expect to see this from a reputable auction house. Maybe that’s just me.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 11-04-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:23 AM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
There you go, thanks Andy.So I did double dip dang it! I will raise this question of folks since I started a non-needed thread.

At some point shouldn’t an auction house make some effort to limit stuff like this? I expect this stuff on eBay from some guy who has a few cards trying to make the most out of nothing. I don’t however expect to see this from a reputable auction house. Maybe that’s just me.
not just you john.

Make the most out of nothing... it think like you.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

The market will decide.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I believe that the card should be listed as the card not what it could possibly be. If the cosignor requests the extra info be added it should be added within the description and clearly stated that it is added at the request of the cosignor that way the auction house isn't the one who looks like they are pulling one over on the collecting community. It is the title of the Auction that bothers me more than giving the extra bit of info. (Of course the price is a bit crazy to)
Old 11-04-2013, 10:27 AM
pete ullman

Personally...I think things like this reflect poorly on the auction site...and if I owned one...I would never partake in such nonsense.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:35 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The market will decide.
Leon, I disagree with you on this one, well half disagree.

While I agree the market will decide to a point. I think some accountability should be with the purveyors of the merchandise also. With a hobby that has newcomers who may not be aware of the nuances of certain issues and why something like the above isn’t a stretch but an almost total leap of blind faith for a myriad of reasons.

I think the first line of defense should be auctions houses looking to protect the hobby they benefit from. Not just playing a blind role and letting some sucker swallow a pill with the “hey we did our part or it’s not for us to decide” attitude. Bottom line if this was a guy on eBay or the BST we would be laughing and poking fun. For me there’s enough hobby knowledge around that most of us would never make such a claim about this card.

In the end for me personally I see these types of things as price tag in someone’s integrity and I see that H&S price starts at 5k opening bid. That’s just my view and respect others who may disagree with me.

Cheers,

John
Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Barry Sloate

Worth a fifty cent premium.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:05 AM
MikeHealer

Nothing more than two snake oil salesmen(AH and consignor) trying to lure someone into buying their venom.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Derek Granger

Default It's possible

How embarrassing!!

I love this line...try to make sense of this nonsense: "But it cannot be reasonably said that this is not possibly a partial Honus Wagner."

Yeah, we'll anything's possible, possibly!!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 11-04-2013, 11:12 AM

Default A sound, reasonable suggestion

The back is off-center, so ideally this should reflect negatively upon its ending price when compared to a similiar, well-centered back example. Perhaps the auctioneer should emphasize this defect more in their lot description so as to minimize the consigner's and auction house's take on this card.

Brian
Old 11-04-2013, 11:13 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
How embarrassing!!

I love this line...try to make sense of this nonsense: "But it cannot be reasonably said that this is not possibly a partial Honus Wagner."

Yeah, we'll anything's possible, possibly!!
Derek, agree funny stuff.

If anyone would like to buy this card for 5k it may be possible it was next to Wagner and it may be possible that it has a partial Wagner back. My integrity is also for sale today and my integrity includes free shipping PayPal is ok.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
My integrity is also for sale today and my integrity includes free shipping PayPal is ok.
PM sent, will you accept PayPal gift/friends?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
PM sent, will you accept PayPal gift/friends?
Look at you guys, still trying to save a buck on the sale of Wonka's integrity. Tsk, tsk. You realize that leaves you no buyer protection right Chris?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:15 PM
H Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
personally...i think things like this reflect poorly on the auction site...and if i owned one...i would never partake in such nonsense.
b i n g o !!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Robert Williams

A $30-$50 card with a $5,000 opening bid!! Unbeleivable!! Something tells me the cosignor might have some affiliation with the auction house!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon, I disagree with you on this one, well half disagree.

While I agree the market will decide to a point. I think some accountability should be with the purveyors of the merchandise also. With a hobby that has newcomers who may not be aware of the nuances of certain issues and why something like the above isn’t a stretch but an almost total leap of blind faith for a myriad of reasons.

I think the first line of defense should be auctions houses looking to protect the hobby they benefit from. Not just playing a blind role and letting some sucker swallow a pill with the “hey we did our part or it’s not for us to decide” attitude. Bottom line if this was a guy on eBay or the BST we would be laughing and poking fun. For me there’s enough hobby knowledge around that most of us would never make such a claim about this card.

In the end for me personally I see these types of things as price tag in someone’s integrity and I see that H&S price starts at 5k opening bid. That’s just my view and respect others who may disagree with me.

Cheers,

John
If a newcomer spends 5k on this type of card then they should be able to handle whatever comes their way. If a used car salesman says the car was only driven by a little ole lady on Sundays...then the engine falls out going out of the used car parking lot, whose fault is that? It's called puffery and is part of sales. Caveat Emptor. And just because it's not on our BST is it really getting a free pass?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM
pete ullman

That's BS!!! Is the world of BB card auctions becoming the wild wild west...it always has to be caveat emptor. Puffery is utilized in sales to sell things that can't stand alone...just like in this situation!

I should rephrase...Goodwins ridiculous writeups are puffery...neverending spewage not related to the item for sale...but this example is desception...and is not the same as puffery!

Last edited by ullmandds; 11-04-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
And just because it's not on our BST is it really getting a free pass?
True Leon. We are ripping that auction to shreds. However, some PT Barnum subject will surely bid on it. We are talking about the same pool of people that bid on a 1952 Toops Mantle #311 rookie card (SGC 9)!!!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:58 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Sorry Chris moved to our Fall Auction.

Also for you fans of T206 will be a rare “Blank Piedmont miscut Wagner partial back” this rare card was just recently discovered. Having missed its printing of it’s soon to be miscut Piedmont back which naturally would have been Wagner. It may very well be the only blank miscut partial Wagner back card in the hobby. Stay tuned.

Catalogs and reminder emails go out next week.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 11-05-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:12 PM
nels0n aud.et

Lolol

funny Wonka

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 11-04-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:21 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

After carefully checking my duplicate Old Judges I would like to announce to the world that I have what might be, not one, but several cards with partial Anson in Uniform backs. This is difficult to confirm, since all Old Judge backs are blank, but I just have a good feeling on these. My local palm reader felt a spirit confirmation from Cap that these cards may be his. Please send all bids quickly--they will not last long! LOL what a joke!

Last edited by oldjudge; 11-04-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If a newcomer spends 5k on this type of card then they should be able to handle whatever comes their way. If a used car salesman says the car was only driven by a little ole lady on Sundays...then the engine falls out going out of the used car parking lot, whose fault is that? It's called puffery and is part of sales. Caveat Emptor. And just because it's not on our BST is it really getting a free pass?
No Leon saying the wine has hints of oak and caramel with subtle traces and after tones of tobacco is puffery. Claiming the bottle of wine may have been served at the last supper and may have been used to fill Jesus’s glass is called misleading fabrication storytelling and not sales.

While I agree there has to be some responsibility with the buyer. The purveyor has a responsibility in this transaction as well. As an owner of an auction house and collector I would hope you would agree appears not.

The above car analogy also outlines more of a fraud than puffery. If a car dealer is telling folks the car is gem as the engine falls out when you drive away he or she was hiding something from the seller. Telling you the chicks dig the 89 Buick Regal is a puffery although mine never got me laid can I sue?

It’s clear you and I have different views on what is considered salesmanship and misleading information to take advantage of someone. You know many of us gave Goldin some serious crap myself included for his Shop At Home days how is this Huggins lot any different I wonder?

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 11-04-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
After carefully checking my duplicate Old Judges I would like to announce to the world that I have what might be, not one, but several cards with partial Anson in Uniform backs. This is difficult to confirm, since all Old Judge backs are blank, but I just have a good feeling on these. My local palm reader confirms a spirit confirmation from Cap that these cards may be his. Please send all bids quickly--they will not last long! LOL what a joke!
Jay can I get one?
Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Sorry, the first tranche has already moved. Woops, you are in luck, I just found another.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:27 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
On another baseball related board I belong to, such a thread (or post) is known as a "Molina".

A "Molina" is any post that is made or thread that is started that turns out to have been made "too slow" because a prior thread or post says the same exact thing. "Molina", of course, in honor of the group of brothers, some of whom are the slowest men in baseball.

Perhaps on this board we could call it something else. A Lombardi perhaps...although that could get confused with a certain Packer head coach. A "Schnozz" maybe?

Tom C
Old 11-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Sorry Chris moved to our Fall Auction.

Also for you fans of T206 will be a rare “Blank Piedmont miscut Wagner partial back” this rare card was just recently discovered. Having missed its printing of it’s soon to be miscut Piedmont back which naturally would have been Wagner. It may very well be the only blank miscut partial Wagner back card in the hobby. Stay tuned.

Catalogs and reminder emails go out next week.

That has to be the post of the year!!! Thanks for brighting up what was a dreary Monday, John
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Brock

It does not sound to me like any one disagrees with the research - or the possibility of this being a partial Wagner back.

It sounds to me like some people are upset at the price that the card may bring. Collectors tend to get upset when prices go up, and they do not have the item in question. Are you telling me, that if you owned this card, you would simply sell it for whatever amount a T-206 common sells for? I find this hard to believe. I think you would attach some premium – and it is really the ‘premium’, the amount additional this card should be worth (because of the possibility), that is in question.

I agree with Leon. The market will decide.

Last edited by yanks12025; 11-04-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I think you would attach some premium – and it is really the ‘premium’, the amount additional this card should be worth (because of the possibility), that is in question.
Complete BS. It is a fabricated premium. You might as well say ALL T206's are worth $5,000 minimum because they came from the same set as the Honus Wagner.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 PM
pete ullman

brock...are you looking at the same card here?
Old 11-04-2013, 01:43 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Brock you nailed it, just sour grapes plain and simple. Good catch.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Tony Davis

Default Sweet

My collection just took a huge upswing in price. I also have a pied 150 Brown, and if you look closely, his eyes are actually looking towards Honus (Three finger knew what was up!) so I'd be willing to let this one go for $2750....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (35.2 KB, 433 views)
Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

LOL, Tony.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Dave

Honestly,this just seems like the evolution of T206 collecting to me. What with premiums for scraps, ghosts, missing colors, added colors, stray dots, missing dots, overprints, underprints, brown backs, brownish/blackish backs.

Always looking for the next big what if, or variation. Seems as if it was only a matter of time before somebody came up with something like this.

Any other set it would just be a miscut or off-center curiousity. Looks like you T206 guys just got what you were asking for.

.........and I'd wager whoever this "consignor" is, is most likely one of these advanced "collectors" you all know and love.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Tony Davis

Default Damnation

Damn, Wonka -

I just took him out of my safe to polish him up for my big pay day and he's changed a little - I'll still let him go for $2750, any takers? He was still next to Honus...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (35.3 KB, 419 views)
Old 11-04-2013, 02:56 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Dave,

I wouldn’t make this just a T206 thing as it’s a hobby thing with one of ones and highest graded ever ever ever etc. But agree 100% some of us T206 folks are guilty of this stuff and have added fuel to the fire.

Really though most serious collectors of T206 wouldn’t make this leap…this is not a stretch it’s comical. In fact comical enough for another reputable auction house to pass on this card and story when offered.

I think much of this hype is what it is hype.....

My point is there should be some accountability with the sellers also. We as collectors should expect that from the folks who ask for our money. Auction houses need to make sure if one is going to sell off of these wild claims there should be some form of due diligence performed beyond…well I can’t disprove it….so let it ride not my problem. That’s a really dangerous slope that needs to be corrected IMO for the good of the hobby.

Cheers,

John
Old 11-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Scott

Default HoC

is huggins and scott still associated with House of Cards in Maryland for tax benefits?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Robert Williams

In my opinion, this is just as bad as those black gentlemen trying to pass of that fake Wagner rookie card as real. OK - we get it, this card is situated beside the Wagner on the sheet. And I can see a case if it was the front of the card, and you saw proof that the Wagner card was there (ie - half of Honus's face). But there is nothing here. Someone is trying to turn a $30 card into a $5,000 card, plain and simple. Next thing you know, Bob Cerv's rookie cards will be worth $50,000 because he was Mantle's roomate.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Dave

Quote:
Dave,

I wouldn’t make this just a T206 thing as it’s a hobby thing with one of ones and highest graded ever ever ever etc. But agree 100% some of us T206 folks are guilty of this stuff and have added fuel to the fire.

Really though most serious collectors of T206 wouldn’t make this leap…this is not a stretch it’s comical. In fact comical enough for another reputable auction house to pass on this card and story when offered.

I think much of this hype is what it is hype.....

My point is there should be some accountability with the sellers also. We as collectors should expect that from the folks who ask for our money. Auction houses need to make sure if one is going to sell off of these wild claims there should be some form of due diligence performed beyond…well I can’t disprove it….so let it ride not my problem. That’s a really dangerous slope that needs to be corrected IMO for the good of the hobby.

Cheers,

John

I don't know John. I think henceforth the T-206 set should not be considered "complete" without the famed Bowerman "Honus Wagner back".

Yes, it's ridiculous, but I'm not exactly surprised an auction house ran with it to test the waters with the oddball T-206 crowd.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Yes, it's ridiculous, but I'm not exactly surprised an auction house ran with it to test the waters with the oddball T-206 crowd.
If that card gets a bid and sells, I will be SHOCKED!!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default "black gentlemen"

As I asked the last time someone else used similar terminology to describe Edwards and Cobb, if they were white, would you have called them "white gentlemen"? Presumably not. So why identify them as such? No accusations here, I am genuinely interested in why their race is relevant.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have to ask:

Did John Voight own it?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 PM
D@ve R1cks

I already decided to never bid with these guys again, after the debacle where they came on here justifying their shill bidding, then backing down and claiming they wouldn't do it anymore.

This kind of nonsense just proves my decision right.

I hope they realize that by doing this sort of stuff, they lose the respect of a lot of potential bidders.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Robert Williams

I apologize. I did not know their names. If women had owned it, I would say, those two women. I guess I should just say those TWO PEOPLE to be politically correct.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would think two guys is PC enough.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Robert Williams

There used to be a time when people embraced their heritage. Would Jim Thorpe be ashamed if I called him an American Indian? This world has gotten too PC. I blame Jesse and Al for most of this....
Old 11-04-2013, 03:40 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

What if (instead of the back) this card was O/C on the front? What if there was a hint of Wags on the front?