NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Default Off Topic... need help with computer !

Posted By: Brett

This is off topic, but I'm getting this weird error after I turn my computer and I get to the desktop. I get this pop up saying "Generic Host System 32 Error" and I don't know what it means. I'm not much of a computer person, so I have no clue what to do. I'm using Windows XP Home Edition. The bottom of my screen where it says "START" that bar is blue, but after i click the "X" where the error pops up, the bottom blue bar went white. I could connect to the Internet, but it doesn't say that i'm connected. When I close the Internet Explorer Window, I can't open it again.

Any help would be appreciated !!

Thanks !!

Brett

Old 02-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny

Hey Brett,
This is what I would try First...
Click on your "START" Button, then "HELP AND SUPPORT", Then Under "Pick a TasK", Click on "Undo Changes with System Restore". All you have to do is pick a date when your computor was operating properly and it'll take it from there! Just don't go back to far in time! Let me know how it turns out....?

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

Old 02-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

The best thing you can do is throw that PC in the trash and buy a MAC.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Hey Denny,

I was thinking about that too, because I remember doing a System Restore over a year ago when I had alot of computer problems... then i forgot how to do it lol. I can now re open Internet Explorer, its just not showing me at the bottom of the blue bar that i'm connected to the Internet. I also can't play any music on kazaa. I think i've had this error before a couple of years ago too.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

buy a mac.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

unplug it, count to 100, plug it back in.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Brett -

Make sure you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 + all of the updates & patches under Windows updates - critical updates. Also, install Windows Defender & let it scan & do its updates.

Alan

Old 02-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RA

This may help

Old 02-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Kazaa isn't ever good. Install tons of crap in the background.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Brett,

That's an odd message, I haven't seen that one before. I have had Kazaa on my PCs in the past and I know for a fact that it has wrecked havoc on my machine each time. When I have that installed, all kinds of things fail to work properly. It's also possible you downloaded some sort of a virus if you've been using that to download music. I'd run a virus scan on your machine for sure if you haven't already.

If you have one of those "spybot" or "Adaware" type programs, maybe now's the time to run it? Hopefully whatever is wrong with your machine can be quarantined and eliminated that way.

Edited to say....Kazaa also installs several "freeware" programs on your machine in order to run. It may be possible that you deleted one of these programs which is now causing things to run funny. If nothing else works, you might try uninstalling Kazaa altogether....

Hope this helps,
Brian

Old 02-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

RA,

I went to that website, but I don't know what to download there. Also, if I downloaded something from that website, and its the wrong one, would it mess up my computer ?? I'm terrible with computers, so I don't really have a clue

I don't think this helps, but Under Control Panel and properties, it says :

AMD Athlon(tm) XP
1.05 GHz 384 MB of RAM

I remember a friend doing a System Restore a few years on my computer, but if it doesn't fully do a system restore, can it screw up my computer more ?

Old 02-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Administrator

That's Microsoft's web site, it's safe to download. Try the download listed as: Windows XP, 32-bit versions
Download the WindowsXP-KB894391-x86-ENU.exe package now

Old 02-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

Brett,

Your machine is pretty dated: 1 GHz AMD processor and 384 MB RAM. Slow and small. But it should work better than it is.

Another way to put it into a state where you can delete stuff is to boot in safe mode.

To do this, start with the machine fully off. Turn on, and hit the F8 button a few times as the machine first starts. You should get a text screen asking what you want. Select Safe mode and boot. You will not have any network capabilities, but none of the autoboot programs (like virus or worm) will start. If you have anti-virus software, run it while in safe mode. You may want to delete some programs, like Kazza while safe.

This may get rid of the errant programs.

I'd suggest Ad-aware and spybog search and destroy as programs that can check for and remove some bad programs but not viruses. These still may help.

Good luck.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Administrator

RA,

I installed that file form the link you gave me, and then i went to start and clicked resart. When I came back to the desktop, the "Generic Host System 32" error came up again.

Dave,

Ad-Aware found 25 objects, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I just got updates for the AVG free anti virus, and I never got a pop up saying it found a virus recently... so I don't really know what to do.

If I try this System Restore, I guess the Internet and any other program has to be turned off. Is there anything else that I would have to do before I try a System Restore ?

Old 02-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Brett -

This issue could be conflict between some software and the operating system. Disabling Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) in Windows XP MIGHT resolve the issue.

Try this:

1. From the Window Desktop, click Start, and then click ControlPanel. The Control Panel will open.

2. Double-click the Administrative Tools icon. The Administrative Tools window will open.

3. Double-click the Services icon. The Services window will open.

4. Double-click the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) icon. The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Properties (Local Machine) windows will open.

5. On the General tab, click the drop-down arrow in the Start-up Type box and select Disabled.

6. Click Stop. A window will open with a message stating the service is being found. When the message closes, verify the ServiceStatus displays Stopped. Repeat this step if necessary.

7. Click Apply, and then click OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9L7JLjFc7k

Alan

Old 02-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Sorry, I originally said that it was a "System 32 Error".

The pop up actually says "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services"

I turned on my computer today, and the same error came up. I also could not connect to the Internet, so i reset the computer.... same thing happened, so i reset again... same thing happened.... so i reset again, and here I am on the Internet.

Alan, I haven't tried the steps you gave me yet, because of the mix up in the name of the Error.

So I orginally said "System 32 Error" but it actually says "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services"

Does that change things ??

Old 02-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Brett -

The short version is:
Go to Administrative Tools->Services and try to see some services that might be running, you will see that its just an svchost.exe is running with different parameters. You might want to disable them (like the Remote Procedure Call or others you don't need) in order to reduce number of svchost.exe processes running.

Alan

Old 02-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Hey Alan, I just went into the The Administrative Tools. I went to the Windows Image Acquisition thing, and double clicked it. I went to the arrow and I hit the disable, but I didn't have to hit stop because it already said he status was "stopped"

How do I take a screenshot of whats on my desktop so I can copy and paste it to Microsoft Paint. Then I can show you what it says on my screen and maybe that will help

I forgot to mention that when I reset the computer earlier today for the third time or so, and the Internet decided to work finally, I finally had sound when I get to the desktop. but when I try to play music on Kazaa Lite ++ I don't get any sound. I also tried going on the youtube website and I still had no sound...

Old 02-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gene Palmer

Brett to do a screen shot hit the PrtScn SysRq key then go to Paint and paste the pic in there.

Here's a website you can try that will diagnose your computer as well...

http://pcpitstop.com/default.asp

Old 02-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the help. Heres what "The Administrative Tools" after I disabled the thing in "Windows Image Acquisition"

So is this what it should look like after I selected disable ?

Old 02-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

I just reset the computer, and the "Generic Host Process for Win32" came up again. I also got this pop up for "Flash Player" but I doubt that makes any difference.

My Internet Explorer page looks different from before. I still don't get any sound from KazaaLite+++. Only sound I had was just getting to the Desktop.

I included this screenshot because when you look at the bottom blue tool bar thing where the question mark is it has that white silvery colour that shouldn't be there. It sometimes makes the whole bar go that colour, then a few seconds later it goes back to the blue colour.

I don't know if this helps.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Do have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: HistoryofBaseballFan

Yep I have Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Administrator

How about all of the latest Microsoft updates? Also, did you install any programs or hardware before you started getting the error message?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Administrator

I just got the Generic Host Process for Win32 Error a couple of days ago. I didn't install anything recently. I went to the Windows Update page and it said that I didn't need any updates, so I really don't know what the cause of this is...

Old 02-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

Do you have an older HP printer or scanner? I don't know how old "older" is, but Microsoft has a specific solution if you do and are running XP with SP2.

It is discussed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821690

Old 02-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Nope. I don't have any printer or scanner hooked up right now. Just an old printer thats not hooked up to anything.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Well, AVG Free Anti Virus didn't find any viruses and Ad-Aware didn't find anything...

Does anyone else have any more suggestions ??

Old 02-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mark

I am sure you have tried to go back and do system restore so i won't suggest that. Also the free anti-virus in my opinion is worthless. I subscribed to Hauri, here is a link. I love this company. goodluck

http://www.hauri.net/

Old 02-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

Boy I'm glad I have a Mac ...

Old 02-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gene Palmer

From the Microsoft website...

Download updates for Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Error

The error "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Error" occurs after you start or restart your computer. The error appears in computers with Windows XP Service Pack 2 and security update 873333 (MS05-012) installed.

To check your version of Windows, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type winver.
3. Click OK. A dialog box displays your version of Windows.

We do not expect this experience to harm your data or the performance of your computer.

Solution

Microsoft has released an update that fixes the problem you reported.

Note: After you install this update, the solution will not take effect until after you have restarted your computer. Because of this, you might see one last "Generic Host Process" error message after your computer restarts. You can ignore this final error message.

To access the update, follow these steps:

1. Go to the Update for Windows XP website.
2. Under Validation Recommended, click Continue and follow the directions. Note: Validating your software is not a requirement for downloading this solution. Read more about genuine Microsoft software.
3. After you have installed the update, restart your computer.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

I just used Spybot and it found 48 objects. After spybot fixed the problems, I reset my computer and I still have the same problems.... no sound on kazaa when I try to play music or watch a video on it. I just get sound when after I get to the desktop.

So what else can I do other than a System Restore ??

What if I do a System Restore and I get the same problems ? Would I have to reformat ?

I already tried dowloading some file on a Windows website that is suppose to correct this problem and it didn't fix it.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

I would go back to a day you know it was working ok and try that. You may have unknowingly downloaded something that is causing the problem.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Administrator

I feel kind of dumb, but when I went to the Windows Updates page earlier, it said that I didn't need any updates. After I read that I would just close the window. I just happened to click something that had 12 in brackets, and something with 3 in brackets. It turned out that those were some Updates that I guess i needed.

When I connect to the Internet, I now have the little picture of the computer at the bottom of the screen, but I still don't have any sound when I try to watch something, or play music. I have tried :

Windows Media Player
KazaaLite
Youtube.com

I don't get any sound on any of those 3. Someone suggested that I might need new "drivers" for my sound or sound card thing, but I don't really know what I need, or where to get them. Can anyone point me in the right direction ??

Thanks again

Old 02-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Administrator

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=966

Old 02-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

Try going to your Control Panel and looking for Sounds and Audio Devices. (Or whatever it is labeled on your computer...) Look for Speaker Volume and make sure the speakers are not muted. Also look under Sound Scheme under one of the tabs and make sure that Windows Default is selected.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator

I went to the Control Panel under "Sounds and Audio Devices" and under "volume" it said "no audio device" (its in the screenshot below)

I also went under "sound" and I was going to change to "Windows Default", but it said that whatever the sound scheme was before, it would be lost if I changed it, and it wanted me to name it or something.

Is this the reason why i'm not getting any sound ? Nothing was selected under "sound scheme"

And heres the other one :

Old 02-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Brett, you have received a lot of help with this problem from the board, but because this has been going on for 1 week I suggest you take it to a computer store and have them check it out. Best Buy, Radio Shack, or pick any other that you have in your area. It is very difficult to correct this type of problem with emails. If you have a Dell computer call their hotline or call the hotline for the type of computer that you are using. Not trying to be harsh, but that would be the way I would do it.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 02-08-2007, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

First of all, check all of the connections to your speakers to make sure they are firm and secure. After that, change the Sound Scheme to Windows Default. If it makes you feel better, you can save the existing sound scheme and name it 020707 (today's date). My computer is set to Windows Default. I have downloaded software in the past (weather software) that changes the Sound Scheme. So, it's possible that your Sound Scheme was once Windows Default, but was changed because of a software download.

If this doesn't work and you don't want to unplug your computer and take it to Best Buy, you might consider calling Geek Squad or Geeks on Call. They will come to your house and fix it for you. They will even run back out to Best Buy to buy anything that you might need to fix your problem.

Beyond this advice, I cannot help you. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Administrator

I think they charge $65 a visit and with the problem you have they can fix it within 15-20 minutes. I heard they are pretty good.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick

really ...buy a new one.

Its an old model anyways ...soon a lot f things are just going to start acting up anyways.

life its too short