NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default Jeter and Today's baseball

Posted By: PC

Ozzie Smith got to a lot of balls others had no chance at, but he was such a revered fielder in his playing days, that I suspect he did not get charged with errors that lesser fielders would have been charged with.

I can hear the official scorers now: "If Ozzie couldn't hold on to it, it must be a hit."

Old 10-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

"it had everthing to with Leon asking for no OT posts for awhile and this threat got started the next day. I know I start OT threads, but I also respect requests that Leon makes. I'm a supposed trouble maker, so if I can honor simple requests from Leon, I don't see why other supposed good citizens can't do likewise."

Never saw the request for no OT posts. Had I seen such a post, I wouldn't have posted.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

All this talk about fags - in the UK a fag is a cigarette... I guess that kind makes it on topic with T-cards...

Old 10-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

On the 1st, I believe, I asked for a moratorium on OT posts for 2 days. The recent threads were done after that but not much. My request was to keep it in one thread then I locked the other...thereby pissing Tbob off with my reaction to his statement. My current state of mind makes me think we are better off talking cards...

Old 10-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron Cowan

I will gladly say that I despise Jeter and the Yankees. Its a shame that a better fielding SS has to play third to make room for the pretty boy. However, come playoffs he is pretty ridiculous. As far as taking him over Pujols, Manny, Ortiz, or Bonds, I don't think so. Jeter is respected but I can think of many situations that those other players would get an intentional pass whereas Jeter would be pitched too (and probably get a frickin' double or something).

Postseason experience is overrated. Who's to say someone won't shine in their first postseason. What about the Marlins a few years ago when the beat Jeter and the Yanks. As far as experience went the Yanks had them whipped but the Marlins came out on top.

With that said, if its just about the postseason Jeter is fantastic. But from the beginning to end of a season, give me Pujols, Manny, or Ortiz anyday.

Aaron Cowan
acowan19@gmail.com

Old 10-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I have been developing an opinion, Leon, regarding Forum behavior. It may be premature right now, but it seems like the group needs to blow off some steam periodically. It does not matter what the subject is, it seems. We have observed the Sudanese thread, the Hijacked Delete thread, and several other more recent similar diversions.

Sticking only to cards might not be the solution. I do not think that a discussion about a star baseball player is inherently risky. However, the horse racing threads have performed well.

I don't know.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

With all the "Dan's" posting here I'm glad we all use our last names in our posts.

I grew up a Red Sox fan and can not stand the Yankees, but I reserve my hatred for Steinbrenner....I've always found it hard to hate a guy like Derek Jeter. How can anyone hate a guy like that? He's not an a-hole to the fans or the press. He's a great player, maybe not the greatest, but anyone denying his greatness is being irrational.

And if the Yankees and their fans want to see A-Rod gone I'm sure the Sox would love to have him.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Hey, why not compare Jeter to HOF shortstops of the past? Heck, just compare him to former YANKEE HOF ss's....Phil Rizzuto...sigh. Now there's a jockstrap Derek could hold up.

(Edited to avoid being anonymous)

Old 10-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

All this talk about Yankees and Red Sox reminds me of how my Reds kicked butt in '75 and '76.I saw my first ML game in '75 at the old Riverfront Stadium against the Cardinals.I was glued to the TV in the subsequint WS games.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Administrator

well....

...i guess both Mr. Jeter and the red sox certainly have shown us what they are made of this year

Old 10-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

Jeter has the "bring it" going on.I'm actually ruting for the Yanks !!

Old 10-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Prewarsports

Amen Joe Brennen! I could not have said it better. In the 8 years I have been a part of this forum since before it was even N54 and was on the FullCount board, I have never seen anything so ridiculous. It reminds me of when the Wentz brothers used to get into it daily with us for no reason.

This is a Baseball Card forum that is supposed to be fun and people are being rude and insulting over whether Derek Jeter is overrated or not? I can see getting into it over someone ripping you off or something, but Jeter? What is the point?

I used to not understand why Off Topic threads were discouraged but now I know EXACTLY where Leon is coming from. Why not just start one thread a month like the "recent Pickup" threads and title it

"OFF TOPIC"

That way people who dont want to deal with the name calling and insults can just never click in there and live in ignorant bliss. People who are confrontation and need to blow off some steam or want to be insulting can go in there all day long and the people who only care about cards will never have to see it.

Rhys

Old 10-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

My apolgies to the Mod, and those board members I had offended with my "shoot from the hip" post, directed to another member. I will think before I 'speak' in all future posts. Thankyou, Steve F

Old 10-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Administrator

I think Mr. Sloate pretty well summed up this thread.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I make a motion that discussion of Derek Jeter be banned from this board. He is trouble with a capital "T."

Old 10-06-2006, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Agreed. Too many man-crushes going on, Rhys. We need to dial the testosterone down a bit.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

"We're not gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that." --Jerry

Old 10-06-2006, 07:34 AM
Administrator

There is nothing wrong with it, but using the word "fag" on a baseball card chat board, even in a supposedly humorous context, is inappropriate. You have to have enough sense to know in advance that not everyone will find it funny.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I'm a long-time Yankee fan (I grew up 2 blocks away from Phil Rizzuto in Hillside, NJ).
But, like you, (conversely) I have never hated the Red Sox. I was an avid Ted Williams
fan as a kid. I saw him hit HR's into the upper RF stands at the Stadium and I was happy
for him. I was fortunate to see him, Joe DiMaggio, Stan Musial and Jackie Robinson play.

Obviously, I am now an avid Derek Jeter fan. But, I'm also an avid Nomar Garciaparra fan.
Both these guys play the game like the players I remember from my youth. I followed
Nomar's career from when he played AA for the Trenton team.

Your Red Sox made a big mistake when they did not hold on to Nomar. This season I am
rooting for the Dodgers to win in the NL....so Nomar finally gets to play in the World Series.

T-Rex TED

Old 10-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

appropriate times is when sense is used. I will not state any
opinion of you or your comment. Common sense is not needed on a Jeter board, it just doesnt matter.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I was really disappointed when the Sox traded Nomar....and during the 2004 Series it just seemed "wrong" that they were playing without him. I would love to see the Dodgers get him a ring this year.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Rhys,

It seems like you have the ability to cling to a belief in spite of evidence that it is false, so I'm sure you'll find a way to disagree with me, but...

Derek Jeter has 147 hits in 467 postseason at bats. According to my screwy calculator math, that means a .315 batting average. According to your dead accurate anti-Jeter math, he's hitting .306.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Why let the numbers get in the way of your belief in a particular statistic, right?

Also, Jeter has 2,150 hits in 6,790 career at-bats. Again, I'm not smart enough to use your complex anti-Jeter math formula, so all I can do is divide the number of hits by the number of at-bats. This is why I am left with my obviously inaccurate belief that Jeter has a .317 career batting average.

I would think there are many Red Sox fans that would give you the Nobel Prize for Mathematics if you could figure out a way to apply your new formula to winning percentages thus allowing the Red Sox to make the playoffs in spite of having fewer wins and more losses than the Yankees.

Care to enlighten us with the magic formula?

-Ryan

Old 10-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Dan- Common sense and courtesy is always called for. Hundreds of people read this board and it's fair to say some of them may be gay, and they certainly could have been offended by it.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Hrechka

I was under the impression that a faggot was a bundle of sticks tied together.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

thanks Jerry for setting the meaning straight !

CHris- Jeter will a have a plaque at Yankee stadium, and a
Hollywood Star next to Rock Hudson's.

Barry- do you have a 200inch big screen, how can you see his eyes?...body language ,yes a winner....a winner of 180 million
dollars.

DADADADA, Dat's all folks !

Old 10-07-2006, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Dan- I'm done too. How about we call a truce?

Old 10-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Stratton

A-Rod sure is struggling. No RBI's in his last 10 games or something. He just doesn't look right.

How about Zumaya? That guy was throwing some serious smoke. 103 on the radar gun! I was pretty nervous when Leyland brought in Jones to close it out against 3 lefties though.

Unfortunately we have "The Gambler" going for us in games 3 tonight. He has been great in the second half but that puss he throws is going to look pretty inviting to the Yanks. Hopefully it's cold and the Unit gets stiff and looks old.

Old 10-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

if the yanks lose to the tigers i have to believe that arod is gone. he should then be traded to the cubs. even if he stinks,he will have 40,000 "fans" cheering.(hey it's wrigley and summer). there is no chance for him to choke in the playoffs. he could really have gaudy stats because none of the games would be played under any pressure.