NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Default Donahue K-Bats

Posted By: Jay

I have heard claims that the Donahue Kalamazoo Bats card recently purchased from a Connecticut antique dealer is the discovery copy for this card. It should be pointed out that this card has been listed in the SCD catalog for several years and was known as far back as the publishing of Alan Hager's baseball card book. I'm not sure exactly when it was first discovered but hopefully Keith Olbermann's Kalamazoo Bats article in the next SCD may shed some light on that as well as when other cards in the set were first found.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Default Donahue K-Bats

Posted By: leon

Many cards listed have never been seen. Maybe Keith will shed some light. If not then I wouldn't count on one listed as one known....I have no idea about this Donahue in particular I am only making a general statement...

Old 10-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Default Donahue K-Bats

Leon--When some of the Mets have been listed while others have not my sense is that if they were listed they were seen. If you know otherwise for K-Bats I would appreciate knowing your facts.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Default Donahue K-Bats

Posted By: martindl

I read the SCD article a couple of days ago and just now read read it for any Donahue reference and there isn't one, save for the checklist. The checklist is at 68 players and the notation at side of Donahue is "Possibly Unique".

Keith does give some history around when cards were found - "as late as 1956, only 39 KB's were known". It does not say who the 39 were, but then lists the players found to increase the checklist to 50. The 1987 find of 41 cards is referenced with a nod to the previously unknown cards of Keefe, Ewing, Ward, Deasley and Poorman.

The article notes the six most recently discovered cards as being McGarr (mislabelled as McGan and a note that a second one was on Ebay in 2005), Seward, Weyhing, McLaughlin (1999), Lyons on ebay in 2005 and "earlier this year, Bill Holbert of the Mets". No comment re Donahue.

I checked the SCD site to see if theres a link to the article, but the links are from the September 8th issue. I guess they're behind.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Default Donahue K-Bats

Like I said, Donahue has been known for as long as I have been collecting K-Bats. My guess is that Keith did not know about this copy when he wrote the article. Not to demean the card; this would be the second copy known. That ain't bad.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Default Donahue K-Bats

Posted By: barrysloate

Would you assume that all 16 players known in the N172 spotted tie series would ostensibly have been issued as a Kalamazoo Bats?

Old 10-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Default Donahue K-Bats

Not to be antogonistic but why would there be 2 now. Keith said, in the article I haven't read, that none were known. None plus 1 equals 1 to me. My math ain't too good though. BTW, have you seen the other? If not then there is 1 known.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Default Donahue K-Bats

Your math is good but your reading is poor. It has been listed in the catalog since at least the early 1990s. Since this copy has only recently surfaced I would say that makes two.

Barry--I don't think all of the spotted ties have K-Bats. My belief is that the Mets K-Bats were issued after the spotted ties. By the time they were issued some of the Mets pictured on the spotted ties had already departed the team. These would include Behel, Brady, Crotty and F. W. Foster. I have not seen Keith's article yet but I would be interested if any of the information I shared with him is included.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Default Donahue K-Bats

Posted By: martindl

Leon, Keith didn't say that none were known, there just isn't a specific reference to it in the text. There isn't reference to the majority of the players cards but they still exist.

The checklist notes 'possibly unique', so with the card Jay references, that would be two. A quick scan of the checklist shows 14 cards as 'possibly unique' or 'thought to be unique'. Here's the checklist thats with the article.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Default Donahue K-Bats

At least we are talking vintage baseball cards. I think even if I am wrong it's a good thing . Like you said Jay, even if there are two, that isn't so bad..........

Old 10-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Default Donahue K-Bats

Jay- I'm sure you are right, but I was thinking about the possibility of an N690 Stephen Behel. Now that would be a card to crow about.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Default Donahue K-Bats

Posted By: Chris Bland

Wasnt it determined that Behel wasnt Jewish after all?

Still would be a great card though!

Old 10-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Default Donahue K-Bats

Somebody did determine he wasn't Jewish, but I'm not certain that we know that for sure. Even if he isn't, he has developed a certain mystique above and beyond all the other spotted ties players.