NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-21-2015, 02:24 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default Why do so many Net54 member's cards

seem to be SGC when on B/S/T...seriously you would think SGC market share as TPG is 90% or so if going by the listings on NET54.......
Old 10-21-2015, 06:30 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I represent no one other than myself, but I simply like the way SGC holders make cards look. I am not a big TPG guy, as I am not a high-powered collector who buys major, high-grade cards. I do not care about registries. When I do purchase graded cards or send cards in for grading, I am usually only doing so for protection purposes and, as I said, I like the way SGC holders look. I see it as spending $6 or so for a decent holder. That is not to say I won't buy PSA or BVG. Maybe others also like the aesthetic qualities of SGC's holders as well? This is out of my territory, but I would also venture a guess that perhaps other collectors who are not hardcore into graded cards would rather deal with SGC since there is no membership and customer service is usually pretty good and their monthly specials can be pretty good deals. Admittedly, it has been a very long time since I had cards graded by SGC, PSA, or anyone else. SGC seemed to me to be less complex for someone who is on the fence about card grading and doesn't want to get in too deep. Just my two cents. I do not have a dog in the hunt. If I get a good deal on a PSA or BVG graded card, and the card has the qualities I want, I would purchase it regardless of what brand of plastic it resides in.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 10-21-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

They are both good companies but many vintage collectors feel SGC knows vintage, especially pre-wwII, better than PSA. And since this is predominantly a vintage/pre-war forum that is why you see the cards in the BST that you do.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:32 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
They are both good companies but many vintage collectors feel SGC knows vintage, especially pre-wwII, better than PSA. And since this is predominantly a vintage/pre-war forum that is why you see the cards in the BST that you do.
still what is the market share of PSA v SGC prewar? On net54 you would think there are way more cards graded with SGC but I thought PSA has the majority stake in vintage/pre-war
Old 10-22-2015, 06:32 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
still what is the market share of PSA v SGC prewar? On net54 you would think there are way more cards graded with SGC but I thought PSA has the majority stake in vintage/pre-war
This has been addressed several times Jake the search function is your friend.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:34 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Why did you assume that PSA had the majority stake in vintage?

SGC POP reports are not user friendly, but if you look at a major set like e90-1 SGC has graded 5221 and PSA has only graded 3865.

There are some cards that I only find in the SGC POP report. The only set that PSA cares about in the pre-war category is t206. This is evident in the fact that they break out the backs in T206s all the way down to the factory numbers, yet still don't list the t205 or t207 backs.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 10-22-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:48 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Why did you assume that PSA had the majority stake in vintage?

SGC POP reports are not user friendly, but if you look at a major set like e90-1 SGC has graded 5221 and PSA has only graded 3865.

There are some cards that I only find in the SGC POP report. The only set that PSA cares about in the pre-war category is t206. This is evident in the fact that they break out the backs in T206s all the way down to the factory numbers, yet still don't list the t205 or t207 backs.
right but most cards listed on Net54 on the whole are T206s........I have seen people list 50-100 cards at at time on b/s/t but not e90-1s...

so there are 5221 to 3865 in favor of SGC in e90-1..what about the total population of all prewar SGC versus PSA....it seems on NET54 that at leave more of the graded cards are b/s/t are SGC or at least not even close to the real ratio .....but again my understanding is that PSA has the majority of the graded prewar cards out there.

I just observing that there appears to be a big disparity...if I am wrong that there are more SGC cards prewar cards out there then PSA then im glad to see that info, I could be wrong..

It does appear Postwar everyone agrees there are many many mandy more PSA graded cards out there versus SGC, but on net54 you would not know that judging by the listings.....just an observation

Bnorth - Is there a thread out there that says there are more SGC graded prewar cards than PSA? if so please provide the link I cant find it..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-22-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:25 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
right but most cards listed on Net54 on the whole are T206s........I have seen people list 50-100 cards at at time on b/s/t but not e90-1s...

so there are 5221 to 3865 in favor of SGC in e90-1..what about the total population of all prewar SGC versus PSA....it seems on NET54 that at leave more of the graded cards are b/s/t are SGC or at least not even close to the real ratio .....but again my understanding is that PSA has the majority of the graded prewar cards out there.

I just observing that there appears to be a big disparity...if I am wrong that there are more SGC cards prewar cards out there then PSA then im glad to see that info, I could be wrong..

It does appear Postwar everyone agrees there are many many mandy more PSA graded cards out there versus SGC, but on net54 you would not know that judging by the listings.....just an observation

Bnorth - Is there a thread out there that says there are more SGC graded prewar cards than PSA? if so please provide the link I cant find it..
Again I don't know why you are making the assumption that PSA has the larger stake in prewar. I am not going to take the time to go through every prewar card to compare the numbers (again SGC POP reports would not make this a simple task). I shouldn't have to though, you are the one that started the thread based off assumptions, then when that was questioned you asked for proof to the contrary. I would ask for proof from you that PSA is the majority grader of pre-war (not just t206 as your original post didn't specify).

I am not a person that cares about the grading within my collection. I have noticed that when I purchase a card for my collection I didn't even pay attention to the grading or the grade itself so I can't say for sure who has the majority, but again based off one large set that is easily looked at on both POP reports it shows that SGC is the leader.

Side Note: SGC's pop report needs a lot of work. Maybe that is why they are good with vintage, even their system is antiquated
Old 10-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

PSA has had a number of issues in the past with vintage cards: not identifying them correctly, failing to note variations, grading fakes, mislabeling cards, etc. Its holders on non-standard vintage cards resulted in 'rattlers' and cards that would end up diagonal in the holders. SGC was very good about noting variations and ID'ing the cards and its custom cut gaskets eliminated the spectacle of a card turned 45-degrees diagonally across the 'secure' holder.

PSA has upped its game on some issues, especially with the improved holder and flip, and has been more responsive to concerns about labeling [though they still make stupid labeling errors, especially on foreign cards], and SGC has had some of its own 'rattler' issues, especially with its large holders. However, there is a large portion of the vintage collecting base that has used SGC for years as primary slabber and that isn't about to switch up to PSA and have a mixed looking collection.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-22-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Don Hontz

I like Sgc for pre war cards. They look better and I feel sgc knows the market better than PSA. I gave sgc 70 n300 mayo cut plugs a few years ago. Their holders show up the mayo's much better than PSA.