NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Default My T206 Plank theory....and, what's your guess ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I am surprised, too....that I left Collins out of the initial analysis.

Better late than never, however.

TED Z

Old 01-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

I have never seen the Eddie Collins "proof" card. Do you have it, or a picture of it ?

And, perhaps T206 was going to include this card in the 150 Series, but American Caramel
stopped them.....just as my theory suggests what happened to the Eddie Plank card.

Look forward to your response,
TED Z

Old 01-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Ted- the Collins is pictured in Heitman's "The Monster" on page five, between two photos of Farrah Fawcett. I always wondered what that was all about.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

My understanding regarding the Farah pix is that Dennis Eckes was the one, who
inserted them in "The Monster".....I guess he was quite fascinated with her.
But then, who wasn't back in the late '70s after her calender pictures ?

It was Dennis, who did the publishing of "The Monster" for Bill.

TED Z

Old 01-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Being fascinated by her is one thing, but putting her picture all over a monograph on T206's is completely out of place...it's as bad as talking about Seinfeld on a vintage baseball card chatboard

Old 01-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Picture of the Collins from Leland's 2000 auction catalog. Didn't Mastro sell a group of Minor League proofs as well?

Old 01-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Yes- Mastro sold eight proofs of previously unknown players. A few had their names written on them, others may be unidentified forever. I think that was one of the most fascinating T206 discoveries of them all.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Clint,
The Collins card sold in the April 2000 Leland's auction for I think 25,000, but I'm not sure. It was part of the Charlie Sheen collection I think...

Barry,
I think Keith bought the other group of unknowns from Mastro and identified them in an article for VCBC called "Eight Men in". To my knowledge they were all Southern Leaguers. I'll have to drag out the Magazine.

Be well Brian

Old 01-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Yes, the VCBC issue is #23 with Joe Doyle on the cover. Th cards were not part of the 1973 proof find, but part of a large dealer lot consigned to Mastro. The cards don't have captions, but a few had hand written names on them, which were for the most part wrong.

Here is a list of the cards Keith added:

1. James "champ" Osteen Montgomery
2. John "lazy jack" Lee Jacksonville
3. Joe Pepe Montgomery
4. Fleet Mayberry Danville
5. Andy Roth Jacksonville
6. John Forbes Alcock Chattanooga
7. Harre Meek Chattanooga
8. Tim Dywer

Great article, must read.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator

CLINT

Thanks much for displaying the Eddie Collins T206 proof card.

It's too bad they didn't issue it....every HOFer deserves a Portrait, and either a Batting, or Fielding,
or Pitching pose of him in this set.

Tris Speaker and "Big Ed" Walsh are other HOFers depicted as a Major Leaguers, who had only one
card issued of them.

TED Z

Old 01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Well I attempted to work on some of the A's, seeing who was in which sets...

Baker, Barry, Bender, E Collins, H Davis, Sunny Jim Dygert ('cause I liked him and he was the 3rd T206 I ever got), Krause, Lord (he was team captain and a famous player of the day), Mack, Oldring, and Plank.

It is about like the E vs T analysis I did before. Bender, the Indian, is in everything. I just figure he signed or agreed to anything if it involved him getting money. Only these guys are series 150 T206: Bender, H Davis, Oldring and Plank.

E90-1 has most of these guys, same for E95/6. E106 from 1915 has most of the ones still playing. E107 from 1903/4 was before some of these guys were in the majors, it has Bender, H Davis, and Plank. (Gotta love E107 predating E106 by about 11 years.)

All of those guys are in T206 except for Mack. Realistically most of the "managers" in T206 are really in there because of the players they were, not for managing. Mack is in E95/6 as a true manager. I was tickled when I got that card...

All of the guys who were playing were in T208, a non Tobacco Trust issue. And Bender, Collins, H Davis, Lord and Plank are in T204, another non Trust issue.

So that exercise didn't yield much of anything new, but does reaffirm in my mind that Ted really has something... Plank signed with BW (the predecessor to American Caramel), before ATT had T206s out. T206 must have presumed they'd get Plank to sign. The college guy either honored his American Caramel deal, or asked for piles of money that ATT didn't want to pay, so ATT pulled his card.

Otherwise, it was one odd mysterious break in a printing plate to lose just that one card of Plank, and what amazing quality control to keep all of the cracked Planks out of circulation.... nope, can't believe it.

Frank.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:23 AM
Administrator

FRANK W

At this point, it's apparent that only you and I remain interested in this subject. And,
I don't think we can further this theory much more, until we get some documented
proof.
You have done a lot of "digging" into, in order to provide further insight in support of
this theory, and I really appreciate your time and effort....we've had a great "run".
But, I was hoping that we could get more of a variety of ideas on this mystery......
other than the usual "broken plate" myth. Anyhow, when substantive Threads on this
Forum run this long, members just start to tune out.

In a subsequent post, I will summarize all our thoughts and findings.

TED Z

Old 02-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

I got a chance to do some research at the Philadelphia Library on this topic. So, check
out my new "follow-up" Thread on this Plank theory, as it provides some very insightful
circumstances that may eventually prove to be supportive of this theory.

TED Z