NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay Seller to be aware of

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I justed wanted to pass on this wonderful transaction that I am having with ebay seller "sweetcaporalone". Last night I purchased 6 T206s using the Buy Now option for $9.99 each, P/H is $2.99.

I was informed by the seller that I would have to pay the full P/H for each card, gee that is only $18 for a $60 purchase pretty good deal. I asked him if he was serious and told him it was common that shipping is reduced for multiple lots, this is my initial email to him in response to being notified of the "extra" cost:

Iam interested in buying more of your cards, but if you are not giving a break for postage, I am not interested in bidding on your items. I am offering to save you money by not having to list them on ebay. You do have other lots that I am interested in but not if I have to pay $3 postage for each item. It is common practice to cut the postage costs for winning multiple lots. I am not looking for a hand out just a reasonable postage rate.

Please reply soon, Iam interested in more of your lots but will not bid more until I hear a reply.

Thanks

Lee

And his Reply:

let me think about this-i see what the cards are selling for-i figure if i ask 9..9 9 plus an extra $ 3 for each card i sell the card for $ 12.99 each-i think that is a fair price for each card-greg

I have since checked his ebay auctions that he has listed one of the cards I won 3 times, one sold for Buy Now of $15 and one he left up until I notified him and he ended the auction.

At this point I am deciding whether to pay or not, it may be negative #2. I certainly will not bid on anymore of his auctions.

--WARNING to James V. if you are out there, you have multiple bids in with the guy

I feel violated

Old 03-22-2003, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

Thanks for the heads up Lee. He has a few cards i need but im going to boycott his auctions,and i passed the message along to my friend who just started collecting T206's.

Old 03-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mrc32

I have delt with this seller before. I sent him a nice email after I saw all his T-206s for sale, asking him if he had any T-205s. He said yes and he was in need of money so he would be selling them. I then asked him if he would send me a scan of the ones he had. He did rather quickly so I thought he was interested in making a deal. The T-205s were the type that look like they have been run over by a bus. When I asked to see close up scans of 3 that looked OK. he said fine and sent them to me. When I asked to see scans of the back (Since miscuts, OC and back damage are so common), he started getting frustrated. He threw up his hands and said that I was taking to much of his time and that he was just going to put them on ebay. I said fine.

What got me is that he is like so many sellers on ebay who are just plain uncooperative. I mean it was like I was asking him to swim the English channel or something. If I am going to lay down my money on something, I want to SEE what I am getting. Is that unfair?

Anyway- I won't be bidding on his lots ever. Just chalk him up as a bad egg...

Old 03-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

This happened to me once also. I purchased a card at a very attractive BIN and asked the seller if I could send him an SASE for the card rather than pay his $3 charge. His response made it clear that he was looking at the shipping as an extra profit center. I got into a hissing match, reneged, and took the hit.

This seller is pulling the same crap. He didn't want to pay the extra listing fees for posting the cards over $9.99 so he figured he'd make it up on the shipping. I'll bet that for $2.99 what you get is a top loader in an envelope with a $0.37 stamp.

Totally rank seller to try and extract 30% for shipping on these cards. That said, I always assume I will have to pay full vig on each card, just to avoid these situations. I'd weigh the issue carefully before reneging. If the cards were well priced even with the shipping, pay the vig and leave five negatives for the jerk after he leaves you a pile of positives.

Old 03-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

who sold me, a few years ago, 3 VG graded T206 cards on ebay and I was charged $19.99 each. When I confirmed the purchase, he told me the shipping was not a total of $6.00, but $6.00 per card for a total of $18.00. I got the same weak explanation you did and ended up preserving my feedback record by paying it. $18 postage (this didn't include insurance) for 3 frigging cards. They were sent in a plain manilla envelope.
I won't post the name, we both know who you are.

Old 03-23-2003, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Actually, I think I know who you mean; can you email me with the name?

Old 03-23-2003, 12:21 PM
Administrator

After a few more exchanges of emails (he called me greedy, oh how it hurts) I have decided not to pay him. Still debating on the negative though.

Old 03-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Actually, doesn't eBay have some kind of rule against using excess postage to avoid fees, or some such thing? I am sure eBay would love to see his emails and how he is selling stuff at $9.99 and then using postage fees to get the price he really wants. eBay doesn't yake kindly to people trying to get around paying their fees.

Jay

Old 03-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Administrator

The dirty deed is done, now waiting to see if negative #2 hits my feedback.

Scott your a bad influence, I was was such a nice fellow before I got to know you. You should start a Society against Ebay criminals & greed, or something like that. I will sign up, these people get annoying.

Old 03-24-2003, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B C D

I sell gold and silver on E-bay not crap $10 T-cards.

I love you man! it's good to be in a good mood on Sunday! Go KENTUCKY!!!! Bob*

Old 03-24-2003, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Until you get burned, you are apathetic. Not true across the board, but typical. I was burned once, and that was plenty.

The crooks still think that their behavior will be tolerated - ebay has done little to alter their thoughts. If we let them know it won't be accepted, and make it painful for them to keep it up, then they will eventually stop. Pressure on ebay also helps, though slowly, and they eventually apply token rules that dissuade a few of the thieves. Ebay also responds to the bad media coverage, but also very slowly.

Old 03-28-2003, 12:15 PM
Administrator

I got my second negative today because I was "suiting the S/H to MY needs" I guess I was the greedy one, how could I be so wrong. I think I am going to go repent now, I have learned my lesson.

Old 03-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john(z28jd)

I think he suffered too Lee because he had some decent cards/prices that werent selling,and he had at least 10 cards i need and wouldve bid on,but he blew it.... sorry you had to get the negatives but you helped others out,hopefully no one from here is bidding on his cards because he doesnt deserve it for his shady practices

Old 03-28-2003, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Geez, just looked at this guy's auctions. "Check the scan for details"? Good lord, you can barely see the card.

Jay

Old 04-09-2003, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Here is another reason to avoid this seller:

Same card finishing within the same 24 hrs.:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=2720312406

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=2721434858

It is getting to the point I may send a notice to ebay.

Old 04-09-2003, 01:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Lee,

I would definitely contact eBay and inform them of this seller's actions. Who knows...maybe you can even get the negative feedback removed?

Link -- feedback removal

Also, for what it's worth, I once ran into a seller who tried to change an unusual amount for shipping after the auction had ended. When I emailed him and asked him if he thought $8 was a bit high for shipping a low-ticket item, his response was as follows:

Hello Michael,
It's actually shipping & eBay's fees (Insertion Fee & Final Value Fee). I hope this helps, and I look forward to your payment.
Thanks

How absolutely brilliant, I thought! Sellers should NEVER have to actually pay eBay listing or final value fees -- those should be passed on to the customer as part of the cost of shipping. :P

Old 04-14-2003, 12:21 AM
Administrator

I just had another wonderful transaction. This time I thought I had did everything right to protect myself from a bad transaction. I emailed the seller and asked him this:

Hi, Does the Jordan have any creases. What is the back, any damage? Is it possible to get a scan of the back. thanks Lee

This was the response with a scan:

Here are better pictures of the front and back of this card.there are no creases or wrinkles at all. Other than the not sharp corners there is just the flaw in the lower right hand corner. Thank you for your interest

I won the auction and received the card only to find that the card has two holes in the card ( I think one is the flaw he mentioned). I emailed the seller that I was unhappy with this and asked for either a $9 refund or a full refund for returning the card. this was the response:

I clearly mentioned the flaws and the pictures were very clear showing the flaw.
please return card and i will refund your money.

The good news is that he is refunding my money, the bad news is his explaination makes no sense, from the scan there is no way to tell the flaw was a hole let alone the fact that the second hole was not even mentioned. He leaves NO description in his auctions and if you are interested in who the seller is email me and I will let you know.

A little side note about my beloved seller "sweetcaporalone" his has hit another of our board member. High postage and negative feedback.

This has really been a sucky month on ebay, where is the sanity.

Hopefully this is the last time in a while.

Old 04-15-2003, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James/jverri01

Well, Lee tried to warn me - and I only wish I had seen his email before the auctions had closed.

I won three cards from sweetcaporalone. I received 3 separate e-invoices, all with their own individual requests for postage.

I requested, and was granted, consolidated shipping.

I paid by PayPal, the day the auctions closed.

I received the cards in a timely manner.

Unfortunately, none of the cards were even close in condition to what had been stated in the descriptions.

I complained.

In fact, I requested a refund for "at least" one of the cards - a T206 Beck American Beauty that was described as having a "tiny" wrinkle. Upon receipt, the tiny wrinkle had somehow transformed in to a hard crease that completely separated the card down the middle.

I also noted that, while I suspected one of the other 2 cards to be trimmed, I would just keep them, if he would refund the nearly $50 I had paid for the AB card. (The suspiciously short card was a Carolina Brights card, that, while suspicious, only cost me $75. I justified the N1 likelihood by the back difficulty and price paid).

He emailed me and said he'd refund my money, if I sent the card back, and "never emailed him again".

I was only too delighted to oblige.

He did quickly refund my money for the card.

And that same day he also left negative feedback about me.

But, here is the kicker - not on just the 1 card I complained about. He left negative feedback on ALL 3 cards. Can you ##@@^^%! believe that? What a JERK! What justification does he have for doing so? I mean, leave negative feedback because I PAID QUICKLY? Give me a break. Ebay should have a way to AVOID that kind of thing. Perhaps 1 transaction went sour (in his mind), but the other 2 were perfectly legitimate transactions. The bottom line is, he was paid - very quickly. WHY leave negative feedback?

So, naturally, I sent him an email. I asked why he had done such a childish thing, and I was curious to know what he thought he had gained from such an act.

He of course flew off the handle, and threatened me not to ever email him again.

Of course, I ran right out and put duct tape all around my windows and doors, in the event he truly sought retribution for the fact I had actually had THE NERVE to email him.

What a J-E-R-K!

I have met SO MANY good people through Ebay transactions. People that have come to be close friends.

And then, there are vermin like this guy...

Anyway - Lee, thanks buddy for always looking out for me. It's good to have people like you on my side. I only wish I had caught your email earlier.

I am DEFINITLEY gonna be pursuing this through Ebay - not that it will do much good. But, I guess it will give me SOME sense of closure.

Regards,

James Verrill

Old 04-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Administrator

I was about to BIN one of his lots until I saw the seller name. Sent him an email telling him that his reptation proceeded him and that he lost out on a BIN because of it and explained that his bad rep was costing him money. I got back an email that said "F*ck off loser" LOL.

Jay

Old 04-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I must have been more diplomatic than you (believe it or not ), because he just told me not to bid if I wasn't interested.

Old 04-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Scott diplomatic? That's rich.

Old 04-16-2003, 03:44 PM
Administrator

I sent him another email mentioning how mature his response was to me. He sent email back threatening to send his law firm after me if I told anyone anything bad about him or if I kept harassing him, LMFAO!!! Of course, I had to send another email to him welcoming any and all lawsuits

Jay

Old 04-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry

Whenever I bid on anything in any auction, I always check to see what the shipping is and add it into my net price. This is basically the same way that I look at buyer's premiums also.

While it may not be right for people to charge $6 for shipping and then only spend $1 to send the card to you, I do not think you have much recourse if they posted the shipping fees in their bidding instructions.

Several times I have had sellers tell me that the charge is for shipping and HANDLING- envelope, gas that it takes to drive to the post office, wear and tear on the car, their time, plus who knows what else. Absolutely crazy.

The bottom line is that if I am not comfortable paying the asking shipping (AND handling) price, no matter how much, then I do not bid.

In the end, it is their auction and I guess we have to play by their rules as long as they are legal and not against eBay's policies.