NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2003, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Default 1899 Boston Beaneater Cabinets

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Greetings all,
Saw these cabinets on Lipset's site for the April auction. I also read the article on them in Beckett Vintage. Exactly how rare are these? I have a few baseball cabinets and have seen quite a few others, however, I've never seen any like these. The only Chickering baseball cabinet I've seen thus far that even comes close was a Dickey Pearce cabinet (Which I would have loved to have.) from on of Hunt's previous auctions. Any thoughts from anyone on these? Any thoughts from anyone as to whether or not a Willis or Stahl cabinet will turn up?

Old 04-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

The Lipset Chickering photos aren't cabinets (wrong size), and they aren't trading cards (I know some registry member somewhere is saying, "Does that count as So-and-So's Rookie Card? And, if so, will it fit in a PSA holder? And, if so, will that ding to the corner give it a 5 or a 6?"). They are very rare to unique. Chickering was and is a well known photgrapher of the day, including in non-sport areas-- though his photographs, in general, are not as rare as Carl Horner's and Joseph Hall's. In my opinion, a number of these Chickering photos in the Lipset auction are Grade A, and the potential bidder will wait a long time to find a better example of a photo of the player in 1899.

Old 04-01-2003, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback on the 1899 beaneaters, Hankron. Always appreciated! One more quick question: What is the best reference available on 19th century baseball photos, particularly non-commercial photos? Is there one?

Old 04-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Administrator

You pitched me a softball, Adam. Check out the below link.

http://www.cycleback.com/earlybaseball/

Old 04-02-2003, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

If I had any money left after being hit with all of the above, I'd be all over the HOFers in this auction. The studio does great work (i've been trying for some of their boxing cabinets, unsuccessfully, for a while) and these are imperials.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Chickering was in Boston, and most to all of his sujects (sport and non-sport) that I've seen are of Boston subjects. This would mean you might find a Chickering King Kelly or Hoss Radbourne, but would be less likely to find a Chickering Cap Anson or Christy Matheweson. The Beaneaters are a natural fit.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Administrator

One thing I'd like to point out about 19th century cabinet-style photographs, is that, while only one quality, the size of the photograph does relate to the photograph's value. All other qualities even (subject, condition, age, etc), the larger the photograph the more valuable. This is due to the scarcity, display valuable and because, originally, large photos were more difficult and expensive to make and reserved for special occasions.

So, when you look at 1880s-1910s photographs, start with the base size of 4-1/2" x 6-1/2". This is cabinet card and was the standard (average) size of a mounted photo during these days-- and also was the standard size of Chickerings photos. If you look at the Beaneaters photos, each measures, without me refering to the site to refresh my memory, about 8x10." While this isn't humongous, it is substantially larger than a cabinet card and should be considered special value-wise in that way.

If you ever come across a very large and finished 19th century player or team photo, say 13" x 14" or bigger, you can assume that the photograph was made for someone official, whether it be the player, team or, say, to display in the school or clubhouse. Any very large 19th century baseball photo, even if of unknown players, is automatically desirable and pricey as examples 13" x 14" or larger rare. For albumen print photos (type of photo used until the ending of the 19th century), the largest I've ever seen were a bit over 20" x 20".

Old 04-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Administrator

I don't know if your already one of the bidders on this. But there's a Chickering Ike Weir Cabinet on eBay right now. Pretty nice looking too. The link is below in case your interested. Good Luck!

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13705&item=3216709862&rd=1

Old 04-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

The Chickering portraits were used for the late 1890's Sporting News Supplements, and you can also find pretty clear images of them in lot #2325 of the Halper catalog: 17 players plus the manager - even more than the team portrait which only had 15 players!