NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2003, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Default Why are they bidding so high?

Posted By: Lee Behrens

The seller is "littlefield sharon". Here are a couple links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=2720124802&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=2720123399&rd=1

My guess is they are bidding these up because the colors are not normal. My guess is the color is off because the cards had been glued in a book and possibly exposed to sunlight.

The seller has more cards like this and there is not one consistant color problem, different colors show fading.

Do you feel my assumption is correct? I can't see paying 5 to 10 times more just because of color changes not due to the printing process (not that I would pay big $$$ for those, my personal preferance).

I think the sellers card are interesting in the fact that each card seems to have a written fact about the player, the Joss card even had "dead" written on it.

I look forward to all and any thoughts.

Lee

Old 04-09-2003, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

I believe there was a lot in one of last years Mastro auctions that had cards that were in a scrapbook and had similiar color variations due to a reaction with the glue used. Eventually a bunch of these ended up on ebay. This recent batch looks similiar. Chalk up the higher prices to the recently out of control fad of collecting T206 variations, no matter how insignificant. I guess in some cases missing a layer of color is a big whoop-dee-do for some. In this case it is not even a variation, but just a damaged card that some wishful/unknowledgeable bidders are hoping will score them some big money down the road. Of course, with several bidders out there willing to bid this much, chances are they can get their money back or make some if they were to relist it. Having said all this, I do think what the glue did to the colors on the cards is pretty cool--I would have paid $10.00 for one of them.

Brian

Old 04-09-2003, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

It's tough to tell without seeing them "in person", but the Konetchy appears to be missing the green and dark blue ink - all else seems fine. Fading and spotting due to glue, sunlight, whatever - gives much more inconsistent results. If you check a normal Konetchy, you will see that everything but the background looks fine on this card, and that there is a dark blue line near the base that is missing on this card. Everyone has their own collecting interests I know, but I would gladly have paid $50 for this one if I had seen it.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Art M.

All of the cards sold by this seller are indeed from the Mastro lot last year. These were in an album and all suffered from water damage that diluted the colors. While they appear as color variations, they are only water stained and water damaged T206 cards.
Buyer beware.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig

Art and Brian nailed it. These are damaged cards and came from the Mastro auction. They are interesting to look at, but certainly not variations of any kind. I actually communicated with the seller when the last lots were offered a few weeks ago. She seemed quite honest and upfront as well as willing to provide refunds to any unsatisfied winners. To be honest, I also sent off an email or two to the winners of a few of the lots since I recognized their names. Apparently my message to them didn't matter, as they are the same bidders this time around.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:54 AM
Administrator

very odd - I guess some of the ink colors used in the t206s were impervious to water while others dissolved upon "prolonged" contact. Seems a bit strange, but apparently that's the case. Thanks Art!

Old 04-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Administrator

How can it be from Mastro's auction when she says they are from Grandpa's Scrapbook.

Old 04-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Did Grandpa sell them to Mastro and she bought them back?

Old 04-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: deadballera

I admit, I have bought a couple of her cards. If they are not True color variations...that is fine. I just thought they were interesting...and that is the enjoyment of collecting.

Old 04-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Grandpa Mastro?

Old 04-09-2003, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Just thought I would relay a message sent to me by a reader of this board. He was the purchaser of the Mastro lot and assures me that these are not the same cards. This person is a reputable dealer that I have had many good dealings with. The cards he has shows the same signs of color change as these up for auction right.

So these cards may actually be from grandpa.

Old 04-10-2003, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The inks on these cards are not gonna be a mix and match of water-soluble and waterproof inks. It would make cleaning up after printing a nightmare and it might also affect printing quality.

Old 04-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Administrator

I still think that anyone who's really interested in what's going on here take a look at a normal Konetchy and compare colors - it should be enlightening. But I certainly respect the opinions of the experts.

Old 04-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Administrator

I purchased a card from the Mastro lot pruchaser, A T206 Matty. The glue stain is right in the middle of the backthe only colors affected are the background colors and none of the colors in the face or body, it seems odd but that's a fact