NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Patrick N.

Default Buying A Sizable Collection

I am driving out to take a look at a pretty valuable collection tomorrow from a stranger and was wondering from the more experienced members on the board how to handle the issue of "So, what is your reason for buying these cards?" if it comes up. (I will be making this purchase for resale purposes). Just be straightforward?: "I am a seller on eBay..." Somehow I think that might turn off the opposing party compared to the notion that I am filling voids in my personal collection, etc. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:28 PM
qualitycards

As long as the seller is happy w/ the price
He shouldn't care if you keep it or sell it.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
As long as the seller is happy w/ the price
He shouldn't care if you keep it or sell it.
Ditto what Jay said!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Frank Wakefield

If you're wanting to "handle" the situation, figure out what's going on in the guy's head. If he has collected stuff over a lifetime, is a student of the game, then you need to be a respectful student of the game yourself... how fortunate you are that he's blazed a trail for you, what a great opportunity for you to march forward from where he has reached... maybe selling a few of his things, and a few of yours, where there is overlap, so you can get even more. I don't care for the idea of him being "handled", but I was just answering your question.

If the seller focuses on things in a more monetary way, then grasp upon that...

And I agree, a 'right price' will sooth things.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 10-05-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Patrick N.

Default OK

He says he is in no hurry to sell but if the price is right I think he will. I am already slightly concerned that his understanding of how book prices work may be skewed. He also stated that the newer of the old stuff was near-mint, which I find hard to believe. But back to my point, I find it hard to believe that human nature isn't to recoil/jack the price up if you realize the buyer will be reselling your collectibles for a profit.

Last edited by mintacular; 10-05-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Jason

Default If he asks " Why do you want to buy these cards?"

It is probably safe to assume that he cares what happens to them, and that question alone should be your cue that a sentimental or thoughtful answer might be appropriate.

Or you could always come back with some simple ones, like:
"I want them."
or
"I like baseball cards"
or my personal favorite:
"I have nothing better to do with my money"

Good luck with the deal !
Old 10-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Bob.T*th

Default Create a diversion

Take his mind off of the cards. Upon exchanging pleasant greetings, immediately stuff him in the trunk of your car and drive around for 3 or 4 hours. He'll be glad to see you and his cards leave without asking you any questions.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

If the guy told you he had cards that are "Near-Mint" I think you are in for a tough road. As you stated, "You were worried about book price". If he knows about "near Mint" there is a very good chance he knows of book value and those people tend think they are the "Bible"

Good Luck,

Lee

P. S. To some people the new old stuff is 80's cards, they are 20+ years old.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Patrick N.

Default 50s 60s

We'll see, guess I might have to educate him on book $ in a non-patronizing way, if need be. "New old stuff" was my descriptor (late 50s, early 60s)

Last edited by mintacular; 10-06-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Pup6913

Do what I do and be honest about your intentions. If I buy a large collection I always tell the seller about my plans. I always go through the collection and take out the better cards for upgrades or ones I like or don't have. From there I slowly sell off the rest to be able to afford building the rest of my collection. The closer is ask them if there is any cards that they would want to see in 10 yrs. I have about 20-30 cards I have kept with me because the seller has personal ties and did not want them to be pawned off for money. This is what sold the deal for me. About 3 yrs ago I bought some in Deleware and the guy contacted me back in June to get pics to show his Step-son what he had collected as a kid. Still had the 5 cards. He was estactic that I kept my word.

The book pricing deal is fairly easy to overcome. You have to make money the same way he does and cards "Are only worth what people are willing to pay for them." Maybe a laptop and some VCP will cure the "book value is what I want bug." You would be supprised at what I have bought using a laptop and VCP as a guide.

I do hope this helps you in some way. Best of luck and post those pics when you get the deal closed.

Last edited by Pup6913; 10-06-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 AM
John €ffenheim

I assume you're buying the collection raw. Perhaps you could bring along some graded card examples to help as basis for comparison.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Rick P

Totally agree with full disclosure. One of the best finds I ever made came as a result of one of these situations. A person like you've described recommended me to their friends after I had been square with them, and that turned out to where the real goodies were.

What goes around comes around. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Mike

If you think he may overestimate the condition of his cards I always put in my briefcase some graded cards from 1-10. If you have some, take them out to compare to the ones he has overestimated. Just a stain or so on the back brings them down to 1-2 grade range. Everyone thinks there cards are mint-near mint until I show them a graded 8+, then they realize they have a 3-5 range card.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Patrick N.

Default Thanks

...for the advice. I was thinking this morning that in reality a decent chunk of the cards may end in my personal collection as an upgrade or new addition. And some of them will be traded for inventory that I desire more. In short, I will not be "flipping" these per se.

As per the graded card example, I will keep that in consideration; a good thought there.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 AM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

Mintacular,
If you walk in the house and the beckett price guide is on the table, your chances of closing the deal are slim to none. Make him a fair offer, and if he has already received other offers, you may be able to close the deal. If you are the first person who has made an offer, regardless if the offer is fair or not, chances are he is going to be disappointed and want to shop it around. Just my experience.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Patrick N.

Default BBCEmp

I can't control what he thinks is "fair"--just need to organize my ducks in a row, make a reasonable offer w/a defense of that $ figure, and explain how Beckett prices "work" if need be. Chances are my offer won't be too much lower than any other (informed) buyer, so if he rejects it now, I could very well get a call at a later date after he receives other "low" offers.

Last edited by mintacular; 10-06-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:37 AM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

Sounds like you have the right idea. good luck
Old 10-06-2009, 12:43 PM

If asked, say you're a "collector/dealer." You can add that you've collected and been interested in cards for years (if it's true). Most collectors do some selling and trading, so there's nothing un-kosher in selling.

If you don't agree on the entire collection, maybe you can buy some individual pieces.

Last edited by drc; 10-06-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Peter Wilk

The Truth Will Set You Free!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Joe P.

Default Ah yes, the trials and tribulations of a flipper ..... :)

It's come to this .....

Brain pick the best way procure a score ...

Hey man, at least you're being straight forward.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Patrick N.

Default Dangling cards around

Well I met the gentlemen, very nice guy. But the Beckett was all marked up and the asking price was WAY too high. I might make an offer on part of the collection but he seems content to dangle the cards around for a few weeks until he gets a huge offer (which probably won't come).

I guess that's his choice but my $/interest will be elsewhere by then. Oh well, ultimately they're his cards and he can do what he wants with them I guess.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Rawn Hill

Well what was the vintage of the collection?

Rawn
Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Patrick N.

Default There wasn't any...

Sorry I throw that word "vintage" around to herky-jerky; vintage to me is anything 50s 60s. He had no pre-war stuff, you know?

Last edited by mintacular; 10-06-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Rawn Hill

Kool thanks.

Rawn