NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: Rob

t207 lowdermilk. why is it so expensive?

he looks like "Dwight" from the sitcom "The office"

Rob

Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

'cause there are fewer of that card out there than there are most of the other brown border cards.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: Anonymous

Oh my god, he does look just like Dwight from the Office.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: Dave S

Jefferson Burdick originally (in the '30's?) valued Lowdermilk as the 2nd (to t206 wagner) rarest, most valuable card in the hobby. Considered with Lewis and Ward Miller to be the "Big 3" of the set. Think the last few years have seen quite a few hit the market and the mystique of it's scarcity has dwindled a bit. Still a darn tough card, moreso with the red Cycle or Anonymous back than the Broadleaf. But think alot of guys that collect the set may tell you that it's not quite as tough as once thought. Expensive but out there. Lewis, Miller still among the toughest but think maybe a decent Ragan, Donlin, Saier, or Works may now be almost as tough to find as a Lowdermilk...

Old 05-27-2007, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: barrysloate

Most or all of the T207's that are scarce are that way because they were only issued with the tougher backs, such as Cycle and Broadleaf. I don't believe that Lowdermilk, as well as most of the other rarities in the set, are even known with the common Recruit back.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: Rob

He pitched from 1911-12 for a total of 80 IP (according to baseball-reference.com).

With more than a dozen HOFers and black sox players in the set, just strange that the three most expensive cards are common players.

Rob

Old 05-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: Dave S

I'm not sure, someone will know...possibly the only significant set Lou appeared in??

Old 05-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Here'a another, although I do not own it:

A 48 Bowman Bruce Edwards and Larry Linville from M*A*S*H*

Old 05-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: Max Weder

The resemblance to Dwight is striking

Old 05-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: barrysloate

He was also a recurring character in "Six Feet Under." He played an apprentice mortician.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: S Gross

As a newly found T207 collector, I agree with all said before. He is one of the "non-Recruit" rarities, and he has had the Burdick mystique tagged to him. He might have lost some of this image over time, and cards such as the ones mentioned above can be argued as as rare or rarer. But I think his "known" rarity may add the the perception that he is not the rarest. It's like the Magie T206 error card: If it's so rare, then why do I see one or two every time I open an auction catalog ?(rhetoric)?

But, my personal theory is that ol' Louis is the Poster Boy of the T207 set: A complete no-one, with a great name, who has an even extra pale and ghostly aura, and the "are you really gonna' put me on a baseball card" look.

You can't beat a Lowdermilk ...........

Old 05-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: John

I would agree that Loudermilk is a bit like the Magie in many ways. However I would say that like the Magie many of the cards you see for sale so often are in fact the same cards. I have been watching them both for many years. There's about 7-9 Magie's that make the rounds every so many years and about 5-7 Lowdermilk's. In fact the Magie on ebay right now is a previous Magie offered in a lot of baseball cards with back damage from about 2 yrs ago I believe from Heritage or Verkman.

As for Lowdermilk I still think its one of the toughest T207's and one of the harder cards in our hobby to obtain. I would even go as far to say as a T206 set collector its a bit harder than the Magie. Also like Magie, Lowdermilk is generally found in G-VG in my experience like most T207's. I also agree that the Anonymous and Cycle backed Lowdermilk's add an extra degree of toughness compared to the Broadleaf versions of the card for what that's worth....

I still remember thumbing through my first Beckett #3 price guide and hitting page 93 highlighting "Valuable Cards from the Halper Collection" and how the Lowdermilk along with the "T206 Big 3" really stood out on that page to me as a young collector. I was really happy to add one this year to my collection.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: MVSNYC

wonka- how are you? i left you a message awhile back, when are you in NYC again?

Old 05-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: John

I got your message about AC, I was in Asia. I'll call you over the weekend...we all need to get together again. Way too much fun last time.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: Bob

Turkey Mike Donlin gets my vote for toughest card in the T207 set, not counting the impossible to find Lewis with no emblem on sleeve. Strangely no one has mentioned the Pelty card which is almost impossible to find, perhaps because he was, or was believed to have been, Jewish, and the collectors of Jewish players make finding the card next to impossible. Lewis, Weaver and Lowdermilk are pricey but can be found much more easily than Donlin and Pelty.
I always thought it was a myth that Jewish ballplayers from the pre-war era are much tougher that they should be, but the P-2 Pelty was the last pin I found in that set and Levey in the Tattoo Orbit set is extremely scarce...

Old 05-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: DMcD

I heard that Joe Wood was Jewish.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I agree with tbob that Donlin is one super tough card, although Downey and Donnelly are perhaps equally tough. Lowdermilk is IMO the easiest of the older BIG 3. For me Ward Miller was the toughest, tougher than Lewis, but there are probably at least a dozen T207s that are all tougher than Lowdermilk, Lewis and Miller.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: MIKE MUCCI

I have 1000's of photos of "Lurky" Lowdermilk, but have never found a T207 card I could afford to buy. Postcards, team pics, pitching pics, other players candid pics, as well as some of his brother Grover, who played for several teams including the1919 Black Sox - pitched the first game and gave up 9 runs (wonder how??)but I've been trying for decades to get my hands on a card. Yes he was my grandfather and I saw him a lot in later years.Help me!!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: J Levine

This card is terribly tough. I have been looking for an off-condition one (read as affordable) for a long time now. At the last National, I saw two near complete sets of T207s including Miller and Lowdermilk but no Downeys. Very jealous right now of Mr. Gross on the new pickup thread. That is one tough card...

Joshua

Old 06-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: Jason L

as you wrote, "but there are probably at least a dozen T207s that are all tougher than Lowdermilk, Lewis and Miller"...-(and I'm sure others would as well) -How you might list, say, the top 15-20 toughest T207s from your experience in collecting the set?

Personally, I have just found this set to be appealing, and with my goal of the 10 Cubs cards, I am a little discouraged to find that I have 2 of the toughest cards in the set ahead of me in my little quest! (Saier and Miller)

Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: Bob

Josh- I agree, Downey is a very tough card in the T207 set. I believe the scan on the pick-up thread is a card which used to be my card for several years until I finally lucked out and was able to upgrade a few years ago.
tbob

Old 06-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Default lowdermilk

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Jason, my experience was that after those already mentioned, others among my top 20 toughest were McCarthy, Pelty, Mogridge, Ragan, Sweeney, Woodburn, Hartley, Rath & Works.

I don't think Saier is that tough. Tim Newcomb's survey (VCBC #38 June 2004) lists more than 50 of the 200 cards as tougher than Saier, if that's any consolation.

The six toughest, according to Tim's survey, were Donlin, Donnelly, Downey, McCarthy, Pelty & Peters at 12 examples each. Having said that, I've seen two Peters on ebay in the past month.

The four easiest, according to the survey, were all HOFers - Johnson (89), McGraw (81), Bresnahan (80) & Marquard (75).