NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM
J@mes In.gram

Default 1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese

This has been discussed before, but I found this photo and feel the need to post. Cannot find the old thread just now. This is the photo that became the card. Vero Beach "Dodgertown" is the location. The man on the ground is George "Shotgun" Shuba, number 8.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953 Reese Photo.jpg (38.5 KB, 130 views)

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Emlily Ell.is

I was wanting to ask this question, so I'm glad you posted this.

Why is this card so expensive? This card in a SGC/PSA 1 is like $300. Why is it so popular? It's not a RC, it's not his final card. It's just another card with a cool action shot. Is that way? Just a cool action shot? I'm new to the vintage, and I'd like to get this card at some point as I want to collect as many Brooklyn Dodgers cards as I can. So I'm really curious.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM
D@le Irv*n

As Greg (G1911) mentioned in the other thread. It is a staged photo for those that don't know?
1951 Brooklyn Dodgers Spring Training
Pee Wee Reese (1918 - 1999), Shortstop for the Brooklyn Dodgers jumps in the air to complete a double play on #8 George Shuba (1924 - 2014) at second base as Jackie Robinson (1919 - 1972) looks on during Major League Baseball Spring Training on 1st March 1951 at Dodgertown in Vero Beach, Florida, United States. (Photo by Curt Gunther/Keystone View Company/Archive Photos/Getty Images)

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...oto/1635765833

Last edited by irv; Yesterday at 11:22 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
I was wanting to ask this question, so I'm glad you posted this.

Why is this card so expensive? This card in a SGC/PSA 1 is like $300. Why is it so popular? It's not a RC, it's not his final card. It's just another card with a cool action shot. Is that way? Just a cool action shot? I'm new to the vintage, and I'd like to get this card at some point as I want to collect as many Brooklyn Dodgers cards as I can. So I'm really curious.
Maybe wrong, but I think because if not the first, one of the first action shots on a card, even if it was staged. When I put my 53 Bowman set together, I got the big cards out of the way at first. This was one of those big cards, as in big price. And even with high price, try finding one with clear image. Almost all are very out of focus, so much so the photo looks like a painting.

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I wonder how long poor Shubes had to be a good sport, just laying there prone on the ground as they kept snapping away pictures in hopes of eventually getting the 'right' one...

1953bowmanreesepics.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old Today, 01:08 AM
Steve

Smile Beauty in the eye of the beholder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
This has been discussed before, but I found this photo and feel the need to post. Cannot find the old thread just now. This is the photo that became the card. Vero Beach "Dodgertown" is the location. The man on the ground is George "Shotgun" Shuba, number 8.
Ok, but we are actually discussing three different photos here. The first is the OP's wire-photo, which is not the same shot as was used on the card, as can be seen by looking closely at the positions of two players. Arms and legs are obviously in slightly different positions on the two photos. The third photo that Irv references by his link is another wire-photo from Dodger spring training, but is quite apparently not the same as either of the first two pics. This third pic was not even shot in the same ballyard, I think. The outfield fence here looks to be a ramshackle, part wire and part wooden slat job, with no ads appearing. Thus, the caption identifying the time, place and players has no real bearing on the first two photos. Since photo numbers one and two do not reveal the sliding player's uniform number, it is still not certain that he is in fact George Shuba - probably, but not for sure.
Old Today, 01:43 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

NM

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; Today at 03:38 AM.
Old Today, 11:50 AM

It's expensive because it has a great image.

Similar to the 1952 Topps Zernial that sells for slightly more than the average common.

Last edited by packs; Today at 11:51 AM.
Old Today, 03:14 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
It's expensive because it has a great image.

Similar to the 1952 Topps Zernial that sells for slightly more than the average common.
You got it and it's a simple answer.

Also, both those cards were the first I bought from either set as a collector. Just great cards to show anyone who knows nothing about the hobby.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old Today, 03:52 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Lots working in its favor. Even before his HOF election Pee Wee was a beloved player. Plus you add in the Brooklyn Dodgers, the possibility of the sliding player being Scooter, the fantastic image and its essentially being the first ever action card in a major set, let alone one of the most popular vintage sets there is and it all adds up to quite a premium.
Old Today, 04:21 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Ok, but we are actually discussing three different photos here. The first is the OP's wire-photo, which is not the same shot as was used on the card, as can be seen by looking closely at the positions of two players. Arms and legs are obviously in slightly different positions on the two photos. The third photo that Irv references by his link is another wire-photo from Dodger spring training, but is quite apparently not the same as either of the first two pics. This third pic was not even shot in the same ballyard, I think. The outfield fence here looks to be a ramshackle, part wire and part wooden slat job, with no ads appearing. Thus, the caption identifying the time, place and players has no real bearing on the first two photos. Since photo numbers one and two do not reveal the sliding player's uniform number, it is still not certain that he is in fact George Shuba - probably, but not for sure.
Definitely subtle differences between photos #1 and #2. Did hi-speed photography exist when the photos were made? If so, then the two photos could have come from the same exact shot, same leap, split-seconds apart. I don't know. Photo #3 looks nothing like #1 and #2. As you say, the fence is totally wrong. Could be the angle, if you look at second base, but I just don't think so. I admit, I looked at #3 to assume the man on the ground is Shuba, assuming all 3 came from the same shoot.

Completed 1962 Topps