NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Default What ever happned with DGS' Old Judge/Tobacco Card Scrapbook?

Posted By: Anonymous

Back in June a guy with the handle DGS, posted a thread about a scrapbook he purchased for 50.00!!!.
The scarapbook contained approximately 75 N172 Old Judge's and 25 other 19th century cards including some Yum Yum's as I recall. I know that Jay Miller made him an offer for the scrapbook and that Bob Lemke had wanted to put something in SCD about it. Did SCD ever run a story on it? Did DGS sell it? If so did the book stay intact? I think it's one of the most beautiful sights I've seen as an Old Judge collector and I hope it stayed in one piece. Just wondered if anyone on the board had an update.

Old 09-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mr. B

Sorry about starting this thread anonymuosly, I forgot to type my name in.

Old 09-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Shamless bump, I'm also curious what happened here.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DGS

I just checked the board and was surprised to see this thread. I didn't know anyone wanted updates.

I still have the book. I did send photocopies to Bob Lemke. A writer from SCD was supposed to get in contact with me, but I haven't heard anything for a couple weeks now.

The book is intact, except for one card. I did cut out the OJ Old Hoss Radbourn the was on the last page by itself. It is still glued to the scrapbook paper though. I may have made a mistake by not keeping the whole book intact, but that card was not skinned and in considerably better condition than the rest of the cards in the book. I thought it would be safer protected and not rubbing on a back cover.

I am hoping to sell the book sometime this fall or winter if possible.
Derek

Old 09-09-2003, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

I sure hope SCD gets back to you and does the article. I'm glad to here that the book is still intact. As more and more of these are being found(and there aren't many, to say the least)they are being systematically broken down and the cards removed and sold off. Seeing one intact really gives you a sense of the era that these were made in and it just looks great. I hope when you sell it that you get as much as you can. It is a great find and hopefully it will go to a good home. Also,I don't blame you for wanting to take out the Radbourn to keep it safe. You should hold on to that and then put a scan of it up on the forum here every month or so just for a laugh. It would be like waving a fish in front of a bunch of drooling vultures. Good luck with your book.

Regards,
Adam

Old 09-09-2003, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

this one would have graded much higher:

[img][/img]

Is this the same pose as the one from your scrapbook?

Old 09-09-2003, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DGS

No, the Old Hoss I have is a portrait of him. If someone wants to post it I can email the scan.

Old 09-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lyman Hardeman

If you want to send the scan to me, I'll be glad to post it. Thanks. --Lyman