NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 11-15-2018, 04:07 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Why Do We Watch Our Team

Regardless of your favorite sport, I would venture to say that most of us have at least one favorite team. Whether it’s a home town team or one with a favorite player, it’s the team you follow and watch when you can. It could even be a childhood favorite.

Championships are rarely won by our favorite teams and some of favorite teams have horrible records, but they all have a loyal, faithful following.

Certainly the Cleveland Browns in recent years have been less than inspiring on the field. Why watch them? This year has been a bit more encouraging, but they are hardly a contender.

On the other side of the spectrum, I have a friend whose team is Alabama football. Why watch them? Averaging 60 points in a game, that is rarely competitive, seems similar to me as watching the Cleveland Browns.

What about a good game. The Giants and the 49ers, both going nowhere, on Monday night played a competitive and interesting game, particularly in the second half, but it is unlikely that if you watched it that you would admit it.

This weekend the Chiefs and the Rams appear to be a premiere matchup. Even if they are not your favorites, interest and viewership is bound to be high.

I’ve had several favorite teams over the years the baseball Giants as a kid, the Cubs who I worked for briefly and more recently the Brewers and the Packers.
I also like underdogs and get a kick out of upsets. Small market teams, with payrolls at 10% of their opponents, are another generic favorite particularly when they are knocking off the Yankees or a Golden State.

Yes, I am watching the Packers tonight, not in their best season, but with Rodgers hope springs eternal. They can still finish the regular season 11-4-1.
It’s a dream to be sure, but not too long ago they went from 4-4 to 12-4, I believe. Bad memory - went from 4-4 to 11-5 in 2009, not 12-4

When the outcome is in doubt late in the game, seeing “your” team pull it out in the clutch is the ultimate high in sports viewing. Watching Alabama’s fourth string score the team’s tenth touchdown in the fourth quarter is not. Roll Tide.
The Citadel awaits.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-15-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

What Frank said.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:16 AM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149024462@N04/albums
Old 11-17-2018, 04:27 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

All the high hopes and hype for my team are circling (have circled) down the drain. I've been a season ticket holder for just five years. Last year they raised the prices of my ticket 17% and removed the upper deck tarps. We have one of the largest stadiums (seating capacity needed for FLA GA football game) in a "small market" town. My seat is in the upper deck but right on the 50 yard line cost $486 for seven games (one of our home games is in London) which I think is a pretty good value. It's a lot of fun to attend games especially when we are winning LOL!

Last year I listened to all the Jaguars radio call in shows all week such excitement! But this year I ask myself why do I allow myself to feel rotten all week for this brand of football? Why should I lose my voice screaming for a bunch of losers and I'm not just talking about the final score.

On one hand I want to support my community and our team. But I also know I can watch my team on TV for free. Why do I pay money to feel awful doesn't make sense?

This weeks "Prime Time" Sunday night home game (Steelers) was moved from 8PM to a 1PM start. I'll leave my house around 10AM and listen to the pre game on the drive in. I'll park about 1/2 mile from the stadium (I don't mind the walk) for $10 and grab a free BBQ lunch from this "powder coating company" that is always there cooking. I'll get in the stadium early and watch the players warm up. Then I'll make my way to my seat and say hi to my friends that sit by me. Then I will watch my team get the crap beat out of us.

Larry

Last edited by LuckyLarry; 11-17-2018 at 04:29 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:00 PM

Frank's insights are certainly not lost on Buffalo fans.

Larry, your season ticket costs (including parking and the length of your walk) are half of ours. And at least you've got
warm, sunny weather. Here there's already an inch to a foot of snow (Western New York weather conditions vary widely
within just any given mile or two). We've got your Jags next, after Thanksgiving, the first of four home games
between Thanksgiving and New Year's. (Thanks for the scheduling, NFL). But hope (or naivete, or sheer stupidity)
springs eternal. "Trust the Process!" And at least our Sabres are showing signs of life again (mostly despite the coach).

PS -- Nate Peterman is not nearly as awful as he's been made out to be.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 11-19-2018, 05:37 PM
Rob Anderson

As my board name suggests, I am a huge fan of Minnesota sports, especially the college team. I was born in 1970 to a couple big fans, it was passed down to me. I also like all of the professional teams in this state. Here is a list of what these teams have done for me in my 48 years on this earth. I'll start with basketball first since it is my favorite sport and paid for my college.

Gopher Basketball: 1982-Made the sweet Sixteen and lost by 6 to Louisville.
1989- Sweet Sixteen where they were blown out by Duke.
1990-Lost in the Elite Eight when Kevin Lynch missed a game winning 3-pointer to beat Georgia Tech.
1997-This was my year. We were great, dominant even. We won everywhere and beat everyone. We made the Final Four. I sat in the third row with one of my best friends. We lost to Kentucky after having a second half lead. So disappointing. And then, all game were vacated. Academic cheating scandal. We don't even have a banner. Screw Clem Haskins.

Minnesota Timberwolves Basketball: 1989-Came into existence. Drafted Pooh Richardson as their first ever draft pick (so dumb). I wanted Tim Hardaway, he was super fun to watch in college. Pooh Richardson? Boring. They have a grand total of one playoff run to the Conference finals in 29 years. One. They have a ton of bad draft picks, bad trades (Butler anyone?) bad coaches. Horrible franchise.

Gopher Football: One of the dominant teams in the country from the beginning of the 20th century until about 2 years before I was born. Since then, a string of bad teams. We haven't even won the damn Big Ten conference since before I was born. 48 years. And this will be year 49 without winning it. We have lost to our biggest rival in Wisconsin 14 straight times. P.J. Fleck seems to be a good coach, and a great recruiter. I hope that he works out.

Vikings Football: Plenty of great teams, zero Super Bowls. Enough said.

North Stars/Wild Hockey: Zero Stanley Cups. I'm not much of a hockey fan, so this doesn't bother me too much.

Minnesota Twins Baseball: Our lone bright spot. World Series Champions in both 1987 and 1991. We had a run of playoff appearances (one and done) in the 2000's. We have over 100 losses plenty of times in recent years. Our best player since Kirby Puckett just retired because of concussion issues. Our best prospects in San and Buxton seem to have a ton of trouble figuring things out at the major league level. Our owners suck. They told us we can't compete unless we have a top notch stadium. I asked at the time why they can't pay for it themselves. No owner does that anymore. Since the stadium was built we have other the worst or second worst winning percentage in the majors. Sickening.

TLDR: The Twins have to World Series titles, nobody else has done anything.

Last edited by gopherfan; 11-19-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:42 AM
Joe

Why I follow the Buffalo Bills. Born in 1956 to a city that had no major league teams at the time. Father a founding member of the Bills booster club. 1963 my first recollection of Bills Football. 2 AFL Championships followed. Outing to the Rock Pile with my dad. Excursions to Cleveland and NY City for away games. So as I live, I will be a live and die fan. I cannot see me rooting for any other team. I love football, live and breath it, hate February when it's over and count the days until September. No matter how good or how bad the Bills are they are still my team.

Last edited by 2dueces; 11-21-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:56 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
Why I follow the Buffalo Bills. Born in 1956 to a city that had no major league teams at the time. Father a founding member of the Bills booster club. 1963 my first recollection of Bills Football. 2 AFL Championships followed. Outing to the Rock Pile with my dad. Excursions to Cleveland and NY City for away games. So as I live, I will be a live and die fan. I cannot see me rooting for any other team. I love football, live and breath it, hate February when it's over and count the days until September. No matter how good or how bad the Bills are they are still my team.
This is a good response, but raises another dilemma. If one lived equidistant from Buffalo and Cleveland, would the Browns or the Bills garner their die hard loyalty.

And before some wise guy responds with “Go to Pittsburgh”, I will.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Die hard Detroit Lions fan.

*sigh*

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:40 AM
Arnie

Amazes me how many people love and root for underdogs. I guess growing up in New York in the 50's as a Yankees fan I am the opposite, I love to root for the dynasties in sports. I am really impressed by teams who continue to be great for long periods of time. Even when they beat my team, such as how the Bulls prevented the Knicks many years from winning it all. I love the Knicks, but always liked and respected the incredible Bulls. Only the Pats I dont like, I guess as a Yankee fan I am programmed to dislike teams from the Boston area!! And how great it was to see the New York Giants beat them a couple of times in the Superbowl!!!!!!

I love all New York City teams, I dont hate some like most NY fans who say love the Mets and hate the Yankees, love the Giants and hate the Jets, etc. To me, they are all home teams to me, so I root for all of them to do well. Of course i have my favorites, i like the Yankees/Giants/Knicks/Rangers best, and of all NY teams in all sports, i live and die for the Yankees. My dad instilled that in my head when i was a young kid. He told me he would sit me in front of the little black and white tv and tell me those are the Yankees, you like the Yankees, and so on. He brainwashed me!!! But i am glad he did!!!!

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 12-12-2018 at 08:42 AM.