NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Can I get a PWCC Certified High End and a Purple Label on the same card?
Imagine ... if PSA gave extra registry points to CHE or Pink Label cards, no matter how infinitesimally small, the usage of these "silly" services would skyrocket.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:00 AM
Tony Davis

I'll put a gold sticker on any card you send to me at only $4 per review. I've got a pretty good eye (the right one, left one is a little wonky). Every card will get the gold star, I don't discriminate. For $6, I'll put on two. Here's an example
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (61.7 KB, 467 views)
Old 05-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I don't know about anyone else but once a card is in a slab, I have a real difficult time analyzing the condition of the card. I know a lot can be missed while it sits in the slab. So, I wonder how others can judge whether the card deserves any extra brownie points just by viewing a slabbed card.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 05-04-2018, 12:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Reminds me of Stephen Wright's line:

Yesterday I made instant coffee in a microwave and traveled back through time.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Chances are this question will not be answered. I don’t what the crossover rate would be
Old 05-04-2018, 12:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
I don't know about anyone else but once a card is in a slab, I have a real difficult time analyzing the condition of the card. I know a lot can be missed while it sits in the slab. So, I wonder how others can judge whether the card deserves any extra brownie points just by viewing a slabbed card.
Do you actually think the edges matter?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:18 PM
T0m P00n

The owner of purplesticker/slabsticker has this Johnny Bench in a 1 grade for sale with a purple sticker. Looks like a 1 to me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bench1.jpg (80.2 KB, 436 views)
Old 05-04-2018, 03:05 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Ah, that's reasonable. Card has very high eye appeal for a 1, presuming the back is clean. Most Bench RCs are *edit: more* off-center.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 05-04-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:18 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2000 View Post
The owner of purplesticker/slabsticker has this Johnny Bench in a 1 grade for sale with a purple sticker. Looks like a 1 to me
Except for the corners, staining and centering, it could have been a 2!
Old 05-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Except for the corners, staining and centering, it could have been a 2!
you missed three spider wrinkles on the bottom......horrible card to get a sticker.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:36 PM
“the bambino”

Default first customer!

I was his first customer and got 2 for 2...

all kidding aside, there's no doubt that all 5's are not equal. Nor 6's. Nor 7's, etc. The question is "are people willing to pay for a third party to make that assessment?" we've already paid good money to have it graded, and now we pay again. not sure what the answer is. only time and the market will tell. can't blame someone for giving it a go, however. I wish you luck in your new endeavor. who knows, maybe it will pan out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stars!.jpg (29.4 KB, 464 views)

Last edited by ruth_rookie; 05-04-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post

all kidding aside, there's no doubt that all 5's are not equal. Nor 6's. Nor 7's, etc. The question is "are people willing to pay for a third party to make that assessment?" we've already paid good money to have it graded, and now we pay again. not sure what the answer is. only time and the market will tell. can't blame someone for giving it a go, however. I wish you luck in your new endeavor. who knows, maybe it will pan out.
He's GOT to do a better job if he wants people to take him seriously. The 1956 Mantle with the star as well as the Johnny Bench rookie with the star are absolute jokes. Shoot, you can also say the 1965 Pete Rose PSA 9 with the star is a joke too...what is it gonna get, a '10'??? I don't think so. I can show him some cards to look so good for the grade it will make his head spin.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:08 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I can show him some cards to look so good for the grade it will make his head spin.
Those are the ones you need to send in to him to get the Purple Sticker!! Go for it man!

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 05-06-2018, 07:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

These folks are doing pre-war too so the thread was moved to the main page for discussion (as requested in the other thread)
Quote:

Old 05-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

Would be a nice touch to add exact centering numbers to such a service; 50/50 or 70/30 T/B would be more beneficial than another opinion of an already graded card, at least to me.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Scott Russell

Just makes me laugh that most of the arguments against the service are the self-same arguments against tpg's lo those many years ago.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Just makes me laugh that most of the arguments against the service are the self-same arguments against tpg's lo those many years ago.
I see your point....but what if we get graders grading the graders who are grading the graders (see what I did there)? At what point do you draw the line?
Old 05-06-2018, 09:13 PM
Scott Russell

I didn't say I disagree with the comments that made me laugh, but then again I was one of the scoffers the first time around so don't look to me for intelligence!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 05-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't see the similarity at all. When TPG came in it was the wild west out there. Not that TPG was a perfect solution but it has helped enormously and stabilized an industry that would have been a nightmare without it especially as it has moved online. What good is the purple label going to accomplish that is remotely analogous?

The arguments against TPG were mostly made by people who were benefiting from the corrupt system of grading their own cards. Again, not analogous to the arguments against this (IMO) worthless layer of opinion.

Sure, at some 50,000 foot level the arguments were similar -- we don't need this -- I'll grant you that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-06-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:53 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The main concern I would have is:
1) what level of insurance does this company have?
2) why pay $5 a card when the cost to review cards is similar from PSA, and they can actually award you a higher grade?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:01 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:

Congrats one the big green stars ! They look great on the holder! I would give those green stars a purple star.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:10 AM
Rich Klein

I saw a thread on the post-war board which said: Show me your under-graded cards.

Here is the link to that thread which is currently running:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=250623

In addition, how often do we as a group note: "That card has great eye appeal for a 1" or "Looks like a higher grade to me".

I can not make any assumptions about the creator of this site but to me, it sounds hypocritical to complain about something like this if we ourselves constantly brag about such cards. He is looking for an underserved part of the market and I understand the point. Now, we may not agree on the specific cards but if we're going to disagree -- it needs to be on the concept first.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 05-07-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

That's the whole point Rich. We can judge these things for ourselves, we don't need a sticker.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:12 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That's the whole point Rich. We can judge these things for ourselves, we don't need a sticker.
Especially if the sticker is going to be erroneously applied. Can you REALLY with a straight face tell me that Johnny Bench rookie PSA 1 is undergraded??? Seriosuly???????????????
Old 05-07-2018, 06:16 AM
Joe

If only this service was available for rating women.
A purple sticker would have saved me around $1M
and 2 divorces.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:16 AM
Lonnie Nagel

th

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 05-07-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:29 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Especially if the sticker is going to be erroneously applied. Can you REALLY with a straight face tell me that Johnny Bench rookie PSA 1 is undergraded??? Seriosuly???????????????
Maybe they are trying the PSA model. Have horrible customer service, be very inconsistent in grading, and take your sweet time delivering your product. It worked for PSA just look at the sheeple line up to highly overpay for their magic plastic holders that sometimes have the correct grade.

The purple sticker gentleman is just trying to fix a small percentage of their mistakes. Now he just needs to get it on a ton of slabs so everyone will depend on the Purple Sticker like they do PSA slabs for their collection to have any value.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:07 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

This is the funniest thing! Grading graded cards.

Let me get this straight: I pay a monopolistic fee to a highly trained teen-ager from PSA to grade my card, and then, upon receiving graded card some 3 years later (or however long it takes these days) send the card out to be re-graded by a fourth party (who may or may not be a highly trained teenager) and this other expert may (or may not) put a purple sticker on my already graded card that says that he says the grade I already paid for is not really correct. Sounds like a good idea to me.

There's really one gigantic problem with the idea of re-grading a graded card.
How exactly can you re-grade a card that's encased in hard plastic?

And if you're not really re-grading it, can't anyone look at a psa 2 and say, "Hey, that looks nicer than a 2."

Old 05-07-2018, 07:46 AM
A@ron V@!llan©️our⍑

Just make sure you follow that old adage “buy the flip, not the purple sticker” and you’ll be fine.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:49 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I don't know if this question has been covered, but does Purple Label offer any guarantee for their service? I didn't see anything about that on their website.

I don't know how Purple Label can not offer a guarantee when their sticker clearly says the card is "verified".

So if a PSA graded card is later found to be trimmed, altered, counterfeit, etc, who is responsible? PSA or Purple Label (since they were the last to verify it)?
Old 05-07-2018, 08:55 AM
Joe

IIRC Jim Crandell was going to send all his PSA cards to Kevin to have them inspected for a fee. I also remember Jim was debating crossing all his cards to
Global. I think this purple sticker will go the way of 4th party grading.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
WE Can tell; not everyone who buys cards is as well-educated as we are. I will repeat what I said, and this is not whether I believe he is doing good work or not. For some people; having that sticker makes sense and the market is not being serviced for this type of situation.

If he does a good job, people will use the service. If not, the service will go away. But it is something not currently done in the marketplace and as such does make sense as a new opportunity for a business.

I remember having breakfast with Roger Neufelt before a Philly show maybe 12-15 years ago and this is when PSA had not yet created the .5. His point at the time was a PSA 8 could be a 7.51 to an 8.50. Using that logic, an card which we would now grade 8.5 was graded an 8 and thus qualifies for that purple sticker.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
IIRC Jim Crandell was going to send all his PSA cards to Kevin to have them inspected for a fee. I also remember Jim was debating crossing all his cards to
Global. I think this purple sticker will go the way of 4th party grading.
I don't think Jim was serious about sending his cards to Kevin.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:12 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206fix View Post
I'll put a gold sticker on any card you send to me at only $4 per review. I've got a pretty good eye (the right one, left one is a little wonky). Every card will get the gold star, I don't discriminate. For $6, I'll put on two. Here's an example

Why is Larry Doyle wearing nipple pasties? I'm confused. And a bit worried.

Last edited by btcarfagno; 05-07-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:52 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

This is Miss Mukherjee. If you show her your cards and she feels they're undergraded, she will happily place a purple star sticker on them for you...and if you're polite, she'll also give you a lollipop.

theroleofbod.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:53 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post

Why is Larry Doyle wearing nipple pasties? I'm confused. And a bit worried.
Maybe he was strangely excited by Merkle's Boner...

Old 05-07-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I see your point....but what if we get graders grading the graders who are grading the graders (see what I did there)? At what point do you draw the line?
I like listening to Elvis Costello singing about a woman who is watching the detectives.

I also like this line from a more recent song from another group: "He took the mirrors off his Cadillac...because he don't like looking like he looks back."

Brian (this Poor/Fair post deserves a purple star!)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 05-07-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:40 PM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

Default A good reminder

This thread is a good reminder why I rarely participate on Net54
Old 05-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcemporium View Post
This thread is a good reminder why I rarely participate on Net54
LMFAO....Don't do foolish things and don't get called out....how about that?? There's a novel idea.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:49 PM
Robert Williams

If you can't see the point of anything anyone is saying, then I can't help you.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 PM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

Default foolish?

Quote:
LMFAO....Don't do foolish things and don't get called out....how about that?? There's a novel idea.
Foolish? The irony....
Old 05-07-2018, 08:16 PM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

Default -

Quote:
If you can't see the point of anything anyone is saying, then I can't help you.
How about I just focus on your contributions in this thread:

1. You attack the credibility of Greg (whom I have never met or communicated with) in post #20 over a screw-down holder. I can tell you that I have personally taken thousands of vintage cards out of screw-down holders and never had a card get damaged or rejected by a TPG. Is it possible? I'm sure it is, but you're really going to attack the credibility of someone for estimating the grade of a card in a screw-down holder?

2. You attack Greg for labeling his own product. Concerning? yes, but where is your outrage over Baseball Card Exchange for authenticating their own product? They are the largest dealer of unopened material in our hobby and doing the exact same thing.

3. You really seem unable to differentiate the concept of technical grade and eye appeal. Nobody is claiming that this company is stickering cards that a TPG undergraded. The TPG got it right with the technical grade. However, there are a lot of cards that have an eye appeal that is superior to the assigned technical grade. This is the service that Greg is trying to provide.

Will I ever use this service? Absolutely not, as I have sufficient experience to detect these cards on my own. But I've dealt with a lot of people in this hobby, and I can tell you that a good percentage of this hobby does not have this skill set.

Let this guy Greg pursue his idea - if it is a needed service in our hobby, it will do okay, if not, it will fail. I just don't get why people feel the need to attack him and humiliate him.

This is why this thread has served as a good reminder why I rarely participate on Net54.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Ben North

Quote:

1. You attack the credibility of Greg (whom I have never met or communicated with) in post #20 over a screw-down holder. I can tell you that I have personally taken thousands of vintage cards out of screw-down holders and never had a card get damaged or rejected by a TPG. Is it possible? I'm sure it is, but you're really going to attack the credibility of someone for estimating the grade of a card in a screw-down holder?

2. You attack Greg for labeling his own product. Concerning? yes, but where is your outrage over Baseball Card Exchange for authenticating their own product? They are the largest dealer of unopened material in our hobby and doing the exact same thing.

3. You really seem unable to differentiate the concept of technical grade and eye appeal. Nobody is claiming that this company is stickering cards that a TPG undergraded. The TPG got it right with the technical grade. However, there are a lot of cards that have an eye appeal that is superior to the assigned technical grade. This is the service that Greg is trying to provide.

Will I ever use this service? Absolutely not, as I have sufficient experience to detect these cards on my own. But I've dealt with a lot of people in this hobby, and I can tell you that a good percentage of this hobby does not have this skill set.

Let this guy Greg pursue his idea - if it is a needed service in our hobby, it will do okay, if not, it will fail. I just don't get why people feel the need to attack him and humiliate him.

This is why this thread has served as a good reminder why I rarely participate on Net54.
But awesome threads like this one keep some of us on here. Happy collecting and please make more great posts like this one.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:07 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:

PS - For #1, I call BS - A card in a screwdown holder will get "ALTERED STOCK" 9 times out of 10. So don't come on here with false claims.

Even Steve Borack had to sell his personal comic book collection before he joined CGC. I repeat, if you can't see the obvious conflict of interest, then I am sorry....I can't help you.....so sorry you have nothing to add to the board and that myself and others have let you down.

How about this good buddy! I would take this venture (which is an obvious ripoff of the PWCC High End Designation - but that is another debate) seriously, if #1) he was an IMPARTIAL 3rd party....IE - DO NOT APPLY THE STICKER TO YOUR OWN INVENTORY, and #2) If you are going to apply it to your own inventory (conflict of interest nonwithstanding) be damned sure that the cards you are applying it to, are indeed WORTHY of being HIGH END for the grade. I have yet to see ONE sticker applied correctly.

Even Steve Borock had to sell his personal comic book collection before he joined CGC. Do you understand why he did that??? CONFLICT OF INTEREST. I am sorry that you have nothing to add to the board. I am sorry that myself and other like minded individuals on here have let you down.

PS - For #1 I call BS......A card in a screw down holder will 9 times out of 10 get "altered stock". Facts. Not fiction. You have lost credibility with me with your false statement. If you took the time to read what I wrote, I said, be TRUTHFUL with the guy. A Mantle that has been in a screwdown holder for over three decades WILL PROBABLY GET ALTERED STOCK. IT DAMAGES THE CARD!!!!! You can say that is doesn't and you have sneaked 1,000 out of 1,000 by PSA. I know better. To tell the guy otherwise helps the "feel good" story, but doesn't present him with the truth.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 05-07-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:47 AM
larrydavidfan33

Geez didn't realize I would start such a discussion.... being very new to the card thing I'd say this sticker thing now that I understand is a decent idea; the coin industry uses it and it seems to matter from what I researched this past week. I also found a company called PWCC who has a HIGH END sticker called pwcc-he ! Not sure if u buy it for auction? Or if u ask them to adhere it ? As a newb I can't help but ask WHY DO I NEED TO AUCTION MY CARD to get a 'he' sticker?
I don't really buy expensive cards could never afford to add $5 to cost lol ... is there a $1 sticker
Old 05-08-2018, 09:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-08-2018, 10:02 AM
N.ate A.dams

This is very stupid. *End rant*
Old 05-08-2018, 10:54 AM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

Quote:
PS - For #1 I call BS......A card in a screw down holder will 9 times out of 10 get "altered stock". Facts. Not fiction. You have lost credibility with me with your false statement. If you took the time to read what I wrote, I said, be TRUTHFUL with the guy. A Mantle that has been in a screwdown holder for over three decades WILL PROBABLY GET ALTERED STOCK. IT DAMAGES THE CARD!!!!! You can say that is doesn't and you have sneaked 1,000 out of 1,000 by PSA. I know better. To tell the guy otherwise helps the "feel good" story, but doesn't present him with the truth.
Bobby, out of curiosity, how many cards have you removed from a screw-down holders and submitted to PSA? Are you seriously claiming 90% will get rejected by PSA?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

I thought Bob was only talking about cards that had been in screwdowns for "several decades." Back in the 80s not sure if people were protecting cards with a sleeve, or taking care not to overtighten the screws, so it wouldn't surprise me if some of those will be worse for wear when removed.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:48 AM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

Quote:
I thought Bob was only talking about cards that had been in screwdowns for "several decades." Back in the 80s not sure if people were protecting cards with a sleeve, or taking care not to overtighten the screws, so it wouldn't surprise me if some of those will be worse for wear when removed.
Peter, I am also referring to cards in screwdowns for "several decades". I frequently buy private collections and come across cards that have been in screwdowns since the 80s on a regular basis and am yet to have one rejected by PSA. Is it possible to overtighten it and "flatten" the card? I'm sure it is possible, but to question the credibility of Greg or claim 90% will get rejected is ludicrous.