NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-26-2018, 07:07 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Auction exhaustion

. . wow the last two weeks was a bit much. And yes, I am the one who was complaining in early January that things were too quiet. Don't remember as many strong auctions as we had in such a short period.

Anyone want to offer any commentary on particularly cards or types of collectibles based on the recent action. I guess I'd say postcards have never looked hotter to me than they are right now.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It has been fun watching the auctions. It seems like an uptick in all parts of our hobby for NICE cards. I still think there are about 12 billion too many 50s-70s Topps cards in the hobby but otherwise pre-war seems fine.

Last edited by Leon; 03-26-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:12 AM
Seth

If everyone has run out of money by the time REA opens next month, well, that's just fine with me.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:25 AM
Pete Sycks

Just finished 4 auctions and took a glance and saw Heritage opened, man my fingers are hurting from clicking all of those bidding buttons.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 03-26-2018, 07:25 AM
Paul

The fact that so many cards changed hands at real money over the past several weeks is a good sign for the health of our hobby. Demand sure does seem to be meeting the supply thus far.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-26-2018, 07:32 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Interestingly, I can't identify a single card that has broken out and ran the last 6 months. Yes, expensive cards have stayed expensive, and most good cards have held their value or gone up a tad, but I can't think of a card that has come out of the shadows and exploded.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:42 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I still think there are about 12 billion too many 50s-70s Topps cards in the hobby but otherwise pre-war seems fine.
If the ATC had put out a set every year for 3 decades, you'd be saying the same thing about tobacco cards
Old 03-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Interestingly, I can't identify a single card that has broken out and ran the last 6 months. Yes, expensive cards have stayed expensive, and most good cards have held their value or gone up a tad, but I can't think of a card that has come out of the shadows and exploded.
Keep your eye on the M110 and Max Stein Cobbs in Heritage. I'm fairly certain they'll be getting run up next month. Woops, I mean they'll be running up.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:42 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Keep your eye on the M110 and Max Stein Cobbs in Heritage. I'm fairly certain they'll be getting run up next month. Woops, I mean they'll be running up.
Ha! Sky's the limit as long as you set the hidden reserve high enough!
Old 03-26-2018, 12:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

One of the problems, generally, relying on realized prices is that rarely if ever does the AH tell you when a "sale" doesn't actually close.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:10 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
One of the problems, generally, relying on realized prices is that rarely if ever does the AH tell you when a "sale" doesn't actually close.
Or when a sale "closes" but is actually won by the consignor.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:11 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Who then promptly relists the cards on a different auction site, hoping that the fake sales numbers from the prior auctions induce people to bid to similar levels.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:19 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Who then promptly relists the cards on a different auction site, hoping that the fake sales numbers from the prior auctions induce people to bid to similar levels.
I always worry about that with the "transparency" that we now get with pricing sources like VCP. It's a lot like the bond market. You can get some quotes and/or see some indicative pricing, but there are some prices that you just know are bogus and were manipulated in some fashion.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 03-26-2018, 01:31 PM
Scott Russell

Does any major AH refuse to allow consignors to bid on their own items? Obviously you can work around that as a consignor, but does anyone have a policy against it?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-26-2018, 01:34 PM

Nearly all AH's have a policy against the consignor bidding, most of the platform's software will block them as well.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:41 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Does any major AH refuse to allow consignors to bid on their own items? Obviously you can work around that as a consignor, but does anyone have a policy against it?
The consignors I know who bid on their own lots use different names when they bid. Or have their friends bid. Or just bid themselves if they have a close relationship with the auction house owner.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:09 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
The consignors I know who bid on their own lots use different names when they bid. Or have their friends bid. Or just bid themselves if they have a close relationship with the auction house owner.
As I said, there's obvious work-arounds, but I was wondering about actual policy.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-26-2018, 08:34 PM
R.L. Americana, LLC

Quote:
Or when a sale "closes" but is actually won by the consignor.

Here's a rare exception:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...dinary-rarity/

"....This is an extremely significant Jackie Robinson display piece dating from his historic first year in the Major Leagues. It is also the ONLY example we have ever seen in forty years! This pennant was sold at REA in 2004 (Lot 65, at that time selling for $1,725) and has been consigned to this auction from the original consignor..."

I am not sure if anyone who read the REA description at the time caught this reference (or if they did, perhaps they thought it was just an error). It was not an error. I was so annoyed at the discovery I could not help throwing this line in on at least one lot. There were other lots I could have done the same with (and many other bidding and consigning "issues") involving the same "bidder" who "won" this lot the first time it went up for auction. I have to leave it at that for now, but I thought some might find this unusual description interesting and amusing.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:06 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Do you guys have any actual evidence, or is this all conspiracy theories? I've sold quite a few cards through various auction houses, most of which sold for very fair prices, and can count on one hand the number that didn't close. I'm not convinced this is as widespread as you guys make it seem.

I've even had a couple crazy runners that sold so high I thought I must have missed something about the card. I've already cashed the checks on those ones too.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:18 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
Do you guys have any actual evidence, or is this all conspiracy theories? I've sold quite a few cards through various auction houses, most of which sold for very fair prices, and can count on one hand the number that didn't close. I'm not convinced this is as widespread as you guys make it seem.

I've even had a couple crazy runners that sold so high I thought I must have missed something about the card. I've already cashed the checks on those ones too.
Rob owned REA and just explained that it happens with some regularity. And sometimes the fraudsters openly talk about bidding on their own lots. And other times you can review the mastro bidding records online and see how often consigners bid and win their own lots. Really.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:33 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

Interesting comment. I thought the same of a 1932 US Caramel Foxx I just won at mile high.

http://milehighcardco.com/mobile/Lot...entoryid=54773

Thing is, it is the exact same card that Mile High sold in June 2017 per below.

http://www.milehighcardco.com/mobile...xx_sgc_84_nm_7

How coincidental that the same card sold at the same auction house just 7 months from each other? Seems odd and curious if the sale fell through in 2017?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

There was a time when I would see with some regularity lots from a particular auction appear very shortly thereafter for sale by a particular ebay seller, at prices lower than the supposed auction sale price.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:01 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
Interesting comment. I thought the same of a 1932 US Caramel Foxx I just won at mile high.

How coincidental that the same card sold at the same auction house just 7 months from each other? Seems odd and curious if the sale fell through in 2017?
Definitely the same card, for sure, but the earlier Foxx is color enhanced, by lighting I suppose, while the latest is a much more subdued. An attempt by the AH to confuse bidders into thinking these are two different Double XX's? Perhaps.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
Rob owned REA and just explained that it happens with some regularity. And sometimes the fraudsters openly talk about bidding on their own lots. And other times you can review the mastro bidding records online and see how often consigners bid and win their own lots. Really.
What are the mastro bidding records?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:04 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:

Some auction houses will waive the consignment fee on a card they sold to you if you choose to resell it in the future.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:00 PM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Some auction houses will waive the consignment fee on a card they sold to you if you choose to resell it in the future.
Heritage gave me a auction certificate for a T206 Cobb I recently won saying that if myself or a member of my family can resell this at a further auction for 50% of the normal seller's commission. Must present certificate for it to be valid.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:40 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Tell them you’d rather list it for zero fees somewhere else.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:33 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Tell them you’d rather list it for zero fees somewhere else.
An emphatic +1.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:07 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
Heritage gave me a auction certificate for a T206 Cobb I recently won saying that if myself or a member of my family can resell this at a further auction for 50% of the normal seller's commission. Must present certificate for it to be valid.
I was going to say, who pays seller's commission anyway? The norm is 0% seller's commission and you negotiate which part of the 20% of the buyer's fee you keep (if any).
Old 03-29-2018, 06:04 AM
Eric
Eric

I was not by any means saying I was going to do it. I just got the card. I was just trying to contribute to the thread. I personally have not sold anything through an AH but if I would there are plenty of threads to advise on how to do it.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:07 AM
Ethan

Default Postcards

I would agree with the earlier posts about postcards being as hot as they have ever been. I know that there are some early, very low pop Ruth and Cobb postcard editions out there that people are after...myself included. While some people aren't willing to add postcards to their collections, others have created a real niche that is becoming more mainstream. Many of the highly coveted postcards are now bringing huge sums of money at auction and through private sales.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:32 AM
Eric
Eric

From a purely esthetic standpoint, the postcards can be very nice. Especially the sepia tones. So much neat stuff coming to auction lately. Can't wait to see what REA has.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:15 AM
Joshua

Quote:

Just got some back history from Mile High on this card. It was part of the Brian Goldman collection when he sold his entire collection. So the previous transaction was an actual sale.

Thank you Mile High for coming back with me for this unsolicited information. Very stand-up of you guys for reaching out to me!

Last edited by joshuanip; 03-29-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:02 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
Just got some back history from Mile High on this card. It was part of the Brian Goldman collection when he sold his entire collection. So the previous transaction was an actual sale.

Thank you Mile High for coming back with me for this unsolicited information. Very stand-up of you guys for reaching out to me!
Mile High are one of the best auctions, that's for sure. I really enjoy their offerings and always have confidence when I bid in their auctions. I rarely ever win any since they get such hot bidding, but it sure is fun to try!

Speaking of auction exhaustion. Multiple more auctions have been closing all week, and the bids are stronger than ever. I got called out on some unopened wax today that I was sure would hit. Maybe it's due to the start of the season, but I haven't seen any signs of fatigue out there whatsoever.

Last edited by bensie; 03-29-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:04 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Mile High are one of the best auctions, that's for sure. I really enjoy their offerings and always have confidence when I bid in their auctions. I rarely ever win any since they get such hot bidding, but it sure is fun to try!.
Many good auctions houses to have fun at. LOTG had some hot bidding on some pre rookie postcards last Saturday. 😉 Did you try winning anything there?
Old 03-30-2018, 06:53 AM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Many good auctions houses to have fun at. LOTG had some hot bidding on some pre rookie postcards last Saturday. �� Did you try winning anything there?
I bid on lotg, yes, but I was called out of my bids pretty early on. There was nothing I needed for my collection, so I was more just poking around on some nice to have items.

Last edited by bensie; 03-30-2018 at 06:54 AM.