NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2019, 10:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default 1914 CJ Joe Jackson PSA 2 to SGC 5

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=3297

Seemed worthy of its own thread. Nice 65K bump.

Welcome, SGC.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-22-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Sadly when folks buy flips instead of actual cards this is what you get.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
The color on the 5, if that's an accurate scan, is weak. The face and hands lost all their vibrancy.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-22-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:11 PM

Yikes. This and a T206 red Cobb SGC 6.5. Not good
Old 06-22-2019, 11:11 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
What makes you think the buyer was buying a flip and not a card? This is a ridiculous statement. It's a shame the card appears to have been altered but that was a great looking 5, dead centered, in the holder of what was assumed to be a reputable grader. Had I been in the market for that card at the time with the available funds I would have been bidding.

Color is often hard to determine from online scans due to different scanner settings. That wouldn't have necessarily been a red flag.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:16 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Looking closer I’m not sure the Jackson’s are the same card. Of course we could not be sure unless someone still has it in a PSA 2.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:25 PM
je.sse @rnot

That I agree with. Circling a couple of dots on the back of 2 cards that look similar does not prove they're the same card.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:30 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

I own a print shop and any defect that happens to a sheet of paper like Baseball card goes on all the sheets printed until noticed by the printer. So similar dots, scuffing, hickeys ect can be the exact same on multiples cards. Like the 1990 Frank Thomas NNOF, that was a dent in the black blanket.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

The OP on Blowout suggests that the red turned maroon because of the chemicals. It could be, but I’m thinking that the scans have something to do with it. What struck me was how the scratches between the face and the bat disappeared. Could it have been that they added color to that particular area, or the entire background? Could that explain the change in color? Is it even the same card?
Edit: There is a stain on the 2 that appears to be the same shape and size of a much lighter stain on the 5. Look at where it reads “Orleans,” then under that “late in 1910.” The stain goes on a bit south from there. It’s kind of shaped like Texas. Anyone else see that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E5DEE1D5-A5CA-4760-8F80-3FF1469E35DD.jpg (6.6 KB, 719 views)
File Type: jpg 8D238B35-222E-4619-8089-801215375A39.jpg (14.8 KB, 717 views)

Last edited by orly57; 06-22-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:50 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
The OP on Blowout suggests that the red turned maroon because of the chemicals. It could be, but I’m thinking that the scans have something to do with it. What struck me was how the scratches between the face and the bat disappeared. Could it have been that they added color to that particular area, or the entire background? Could that explain the change in color? Is it even the same card?
Edit: There is a stain on the 2 that appears to be the same shape and size of a much lighter stain on the 5. Look at where it reads “Orleans,” then under that “late in 1910.” The stain goes on a bit south from there. It’s kind of shaped like Texas. Anyone else see that?
yes, and the largest green circle on the back shows a scattered mark that is differentiating. it's the same card.

Last edited by griffon512; 06-22-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:58 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Definitely the same card.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:59 PM
je.sse @rnot

Any chance 2 cards that came out of a box of cracker Jacks 100 years ago could have similar looking stains in the same spot? Maybe one shaped like something covered in caramel was pressed against it.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:01 AM
Kenny Cole

I think it is likely the same card too.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:02 AM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Definitely the same card.
Yeah corners are the same. That has nothing to do with the printer lol
Old 06-23-2019, 12:05 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Also back damage on the upper right that's been worked on, you can still traces of it and patterns match up, easily seen to the right of the "Cleve-"

Last edited by Bicem; 06-23-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:14 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Any chance 2 cards that came out of a box of cracker Jacks 100 years ago could have similar looking stains in the same spot? Maybe one shaped like something covered in caramel was pressed against it.
Yes. It’s posible that two different, identically-shaped Cracker Jack candies stained two different Joe Jackson cards in the exact same spot. It is posible that the cards shared numerous other identifying features, including identical centering (slight tilt), corner-wear, and other markings. It is also possible that both of those cards survived over 100 years, and were sold in auctions a few months apart. Of course the lesser grade card sold first (by a reputable auction house), and the higher grade sold months later (by a company that is currently under the microscope for selling altered cards). So yeah, there is “possible” and there is “highly unlikely.”

Last edited by orly57; 06-23-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:17 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Is it possible all this is just a bad dream?
Old 06-23-2019, 12:19 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Same card
Old 06-23-2019, 12:20 AM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Is it possible all this is just a bad dream?
I wish. But no, I don't think so.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:41 AM
je.sse @rnot

Just checked the registry. No one has that card listed but the cert is still active. Assuming this card and others have been cleaned up and resubmitted maybe these guys could send the old flips back in an unmarked envelope. It should help everyone to have more accurate population numbers.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:23 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I’ll repeat what I said a few days ago. All the graders, regardless of the company, have trouble picking out cards that are doctored. Given enough time, and a library of before images, they could do it. Unfortunately, they have neither.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:31 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

So what are we paying them for? Maybe we need to start a Graded Card Submitter Support Group to try to stop this vicious cycle. It's like drug peddling and addiction.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:01 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

You are paying for a one minute or less look at most cards. If you want someone to spend a half hour on a card then grading fees will be a lot higher. People can’t legitimately expect a lot for $7.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:18 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

It was rhetorical, but with a $99 max declared value for bulk submissions, these weren't submitted at that level. Some of these cost between $1,000 and $5,000 for the service level to be graded.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:45 AM
Barry Sloate

This hobby is shot. Collectors need to understand that if they continue to collect baseball cards their collections will contain altered cards, and that they will not be getting what they paid for. You either have to accept that fact, or find a new hobby. What a shame.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:32 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

The constant questioning and denial of some leave me to wonder how many PWCC cards they are sitting on.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-23-2019, 04:39 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Ah, the dam will break; they just don't believe it yet. They're at some earlier stage of the grieving process.

And some will have already gotten their refunds, and the ones that hold out the longest risk losing it. This is why PSA and SGC and BGS need to decertify all of those altered cards in holders. Collectors will clutch them to their bosom and never let them go without it.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:41 AM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
The constant questioning and denial of some leave me to wonder how many PWCC cards they are sitting on.
That’s probably the root of anyone denying this right now. They either have a large legal or financial liability (or both).
Old 06-23-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
You are paying for a one minute or less look at most cards. If you want someone to spend a half hour on a card then grading fees will be a lot higher. People can’t legitimately expect a lot for $7.
But Jay, wouldn’t a nice looking, 1914 Cracker Jack joe Jackson have a value substantial enough that the grading fees are $500-$1,000=? And if so, I would think that kind of grading fee should buy you a much better, longer and detailed look than a $7 submission (perhaps a 100x better look?)
Old 06-23-2019, 07:01 AM
Peter Spaeth

The 5 was graded at the National according to Brent.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
When I blew up the Heritage scan I thought maybe those scratches were on the holder.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:11 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I own a print shop and any defect that happens to a sheet of paper like Baseball card goes on all the sheets printed until noticed by the printer. So similar dots, scuffing, hickeys ect can be the exact same on multiples cards. Like the 1990 Frank Thomas NNOF, that was a dent in the black blanket.
A dent in the print blanket. How does a thick rubber mat get a dent in it that affects several cards on the sheet? The other part i agree with, print spots will show up on several copies.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The 5 was graded at the National according to Brent.
So was the Leaf Jackie we saw earlier. Good show!!

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=2827

Old 06-23-2019, 07:24 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Is that Cracker Jack for sure the same card ?
Removing Gloss, how in the world can they miss that ? The top right corner ? What kinda special chemicals were used on that idk it’s not that hard if this is the same card....how did SGC miss this crapola...it’s disgusting
Old 06-23-2019, 07:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It doesn't bother me that people want to make sure the cards are the same, I think it's fair. The only thing that would bother me is continued denial in the face of the evidence.

It's interesting that of all the cards outed on Blowout so far, I don't think there's been a single instance when someone came forward and said he still owned the "pre" card.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:55 AM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Here's more proof it's the same card:

The larger circle is paper loss while the small circle was recolored.

(sorry, the PWCC image is not the best of quality, even though it's "High Res")

Heritage PSA 2:

PWCC SGC 5:
Old 06-23-2019, 07:56 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
It doesn't bother me that people want to make sure the cards are the same, I think it's fair. The only thing that would bother me is continued denial in the face of the evidence.

It's interesting that of all the cards outed on Blowout so far, I don't think there's been a single instance when someone came forward and said he still owned the "pre" card.
Absolutely agree with your second sentence the continued denial in the face of evidence is bothersome. I get people have big cards in their holders but come on how are these guys, the graders this bad at their jobs?? Sometime smells bad real bad.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:57 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post
Here's more proof it's the same card:

The larger circle is paper loss while the small circle was recolored.

(sorry, the PWCC image is not the best of quality, even though it's "High Res")

Heritage PSA 2:

PWCC SGC 5:
Thanks sir ! I’m seeing this now....shameful
Old 06-23-2019, 08:18 AM
Barry Sloate

I assume that at the National there will be more than a few collectors who will get into verbal confrontations with PSA. Should be interesting. Somebody needs to film it.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:22 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I assume that at the National there will be more than a few collectors who will get into verbal confrontations with PSA. Should be interesting. Somebody needs to film it.
Personally I’m a little sad that I will not be making the national this year. I would hope that there will be lots of visual and verbal opposition to what is happening. I would love to see people aggressively picketing or boycotting those known to be guilty so that others can see what is happening .
Old 06-23-2019, 08:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I am sure they will be fully prepared to spin this as a very limited and contained problem.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
I am sure they will be fully prepared to spin this as a very limited and contained problem.
Agreed. But that will only get the people on the other side of the table angrier, louder, and more vocal. Like I said, should get interesting.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Here's a sad statement: I miss Battlefield/Candyman!

They were entertaining and all they did was photoshop and over grade
Old 06-23-2019, 08:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Agreed. But that will only get the people on the other side of the table angrier, louder, and more vocal. Like I said, should get interesting.
They will just poof any protesters from the Set Registry shindig I am sure, and higher ups will be nowhere near the table at the show.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:00 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I only have a few of what some would consider high end cards. They were all bought privately except for an REA win, the only one I've ever won there. I have bid on quite a few pwcc cards over the years, but only won 4 or 5.

I have mentioned before I use PWCC for all of my consignments. There's always an auction running, they get the highest prices, and have the lowest fees. I am still not convinced yet at their level of involvement in this scandal, and think it's very possible card doctors use their service for the same reasons I do.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:25 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

I know that there are a lot of guys who have some amazing ungraded cards. But isn’t it fair to say that if you are a TPG receiving a really nice 1914 Joe Jackson at this stage in the game, there is a 90% chance that the card has already been graded before, and the owner wasn’t happy with the grade and/or altered it? Wouldn’t they look at a card like that a bit more skeptically, and assume that at best, the owner wasn’t happy with the previous grade and broke open for a regrade? If I see a raw 1914 CJ JJ at a show, I can tell you that my first thought would be “no thanks. You either got an ‘A’ or the card presents much better than the grade you got and didn’t like.”
Old 06-23-2019, 09:28 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
It's contained alright. In 10,000 slabs.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
It's contained alright. In 10,000 slabs.
I wish it was only that many.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:34 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

The population of slabbed cards is a combination of clean cards and (reasonably) well-doctored cards.

The population of unslabbed cards is a combination of clean cards and poorly doctored cards.

So it seems, as long as you're at least as good at detecting alterations as the graders are, as seems to apply to an increasingly large proportion of Net54 members, that it's safer to buy raw since the altered ones will be fairly obvious.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:59 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
This hobby is shot. Collectors need to understand that if they continue to collect baseball cards their collections will contain altered cards, and that they will not be getting what they paid for. You either have to accept that fact, or find a new hobby. What a shame.
Barry--Please convince Corey of this. I'd like to save him this heartache and buy a few of his cards before they become worthless. I know I'm crazy, but it would be helping a friend out.