NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: My wife/partner...
...has no idea I even collect. 7 2.16%
...is totally unsupportive (for financial reasons or otherwise). 36 11.11%
...is understanding/supportive/encouraging. 203 62.65%
...actively collects with me. 10 3.09%
...couldn't tell a T206 from a T3. 104 32.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Christopher Herman

Default My Spouse and my hobby.

Disclaimer (for self preservation purposes only): My wife knows very little about but is 100% supportive and encouraging when it come to my hobby interests. And she's pretty.

To what extent does your spouse/partner/significant other understand and/or support your collecting interests?

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards
Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Ken McMillan

Fully supportive.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Gobucsmagic74

It used to be more of a don't ask, don't tell situation with my wife and I would basically only tell her when I sold something. She still doesn't exactly "get it", but at least she's starting to understand that everything I buy has relative value and can be sold...usually for a small profit.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:41 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

My wife is both understanding and supportive, but also could not tell a T206 from a T3. There is no way that by this point she has not found one of the astronomical auction invoices I have perhaps foolishly left lying around, though she has never said one word about what I spend. Every once in a blue moon she will ask how my collection is going, which is sweet of her to ask since I know she really couldn't care less.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:43 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
It used to be more of a don't ask, don't tell situation with my wife and I would basically only tell her when I sold something. She still doesn't exactly "get it", but at least she's starting to understand that everything I buy has relative value and can be sold...usually for a small profit.
Same boat. It helps the argument for buying that items can be sold if need be, at worst, for a small loss.....as opposed to the 17 (I'm not exaggerating) pairs of jeans she has.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 PM

The poll needs a box for "grudgingly tolerant"...
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 08-03-2013, 07:47 PM
J.O.N

She secretly wishes I did more manly things like work on cars.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:51 PM
John Harrell

My wife has been supportive of my collecting for many years although she does not really know much about the cards. She's also supported my antique bat collecting and has given me a room in our most recent house to use as a memorabilia room. Can't ask for much more than that.

John
Old 08-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Jeff

Default Huh?

You mean my ex-wife???
Old 08-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Sean Costello

My girlfriend is nuts. She fought me when I bought the Plank, but accepted it. Then when prices went up she got happy about it. Now 7 years after I bought it she is mad because I didn't buy two of them.

As if that was ever an option.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:03 AM
Scott

Default Another choice

My wife looks the other way....asks me what "these PayPal" charges are very now and then, but never bothers me ...

You should add a choice " not married" as I sense many on this board on not married for different reasons...
Old 08-04-2013, 06:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Am I missing something or do we have around 114% in our poll? This must have been one you could vote twice in? I think that is an option?

BTW, my wife is very supportive, doesn't ask questions, and can't tell a T3 from a Baguer Chocolate (really big to teeny tiny)

Just checked, it is a multiple answer poll....nicely played!!

Last edited by Leon; 08-04-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Christopher Herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Probably. But at the risk of adding too many options this would likely fall into the "understanding" option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post
You should add a choice " not married" as I sense many on this board on not married for different reasons...
Another good suggestion but seemingly more of a sociological query rather than a hobby related one. Perhaps this is a topic for a separate thread and/or poll in the future. The results would be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Am I missing something or do we have around 114% in our poll? This must have been one you could vote twice in? I think that is an option?

BTW, my wife is very supportive, doesn't ask questions, and can't tell a T3 from a Baguer Chocolate (really big to teeny tiny)

Just checked, it is a multiple answer poll....nicely played!!
Yes, Leon et al., multiple responses enabled since the last option is not mutually exclusive to the others.

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards

Last edited by christopher.herman; 08-04-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
This is my wife also. I mainly have error cards so when I open a package my wife always gives me the didn't you just buy that same card a couple weeks ago. Then I nicely try to show her the difference and she does her best to act like she cares.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Paul Lehr

Before my wife and I got married I told her that I had been a collector for 25 years and that wasn't ever going change. I'm happy to say that almost seven years later she is still very supportive.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Arnie

I put understanding/supportive/encouraging, but thats really only up to a point. She doesnt want me regularly spending bucks on baseball cards. She will buy me a card of my choice for any occassion i ask for one, like birthday, holiday, anniversary, etc though. She gives me a price range (usually around fifty bucks) and i pick the card. I can pick expensive cards, but then they go for multiple occassions. And no, she couldnt tell one year from another, or certainly one tobacco card from another, but she knows i basically collect Yankees cards and cards of Jewish athletes.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:15 AM
D@vid Mor1@rty

My wife not only supports my collecting, she encourages me to buy more.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Dan Bretta

My wife and I dated for four years before we got married...she saw exactly how I am with regards to collecting and still married me. In 15 years of marriage she's never complained one time about it...so I assume I have the green light to continue.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

My girlfriend laughs when I get excited about hobby stuff, but is completely supportive. She is a finance person, so always has ideas about how I should tweak my buying/selling, etc. But her eyelids get real heavy when I start talking about actual cards.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

My wife knows little about my collection or baseball in general but could not be more supportive. She doesn't buy me cards but a few years ago when we bought a summer home near Cooperstown, it was her idea...and her money. Can't beat that. She is a gem. That is why we have been together 36 years.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Default a different view

I'm a bachelor so I can buy whatever the $@&# I want without having to answer to anyone
Old 08-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Luis

My wife is supportive and asks what I have on my radar. Sometimes I feel guilty and I have to encourage her to buy jeans or shoes, or whatever she wants. Lol. I don't understand that like she may not understand my passion. She does get mad if I sell something that she knows I really wanted at one time. But she knows I reinvest it into my latest chase.

I just joined this board a few weeks ago and I'm already working on her to get to the next National. Wish me luck!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:31 PM
John Hanssen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucsmagic74 View Post
it used to be more of a don't ask, don't tell situation with my wife and i would basically only tell her when i sold something. She still doesn't exactly "get it", but at least she's starting to understand that everything i buy has relative value and can be sold...usually for a small profit.
dido
Old 08-06-2013, 05:44 PM

At first I thought the title was "My spouse OR my hobby".

One vote here for tolerant.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 PM

My wife is so supporting I occasionally have to slap myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. She even took the CTA to work so I could have the car to drive to the National (not Friday though, she told me "spend the $ and take a taxi home").

Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Mark

My wife doesn't really support my collecting, but she does love to go with me to hunt. She was one of only a few ladies I saw at the National or at the net54 Dinner. I thought burying her with stuff at our last trip to auction might have broke her, but she is a trooper. I ran into a dealer we used to sell to 25 years ago, he new us right away as she was with me when I met him originally.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:38 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

This thread is a year old, but a story from tonight made me think of this thread.

A single sheet flyer from Heritage Auctions was found on the ground (my children play with my auction catalogs, so may have been in the heritage stuff). I picked it up to throw it away and it was listing three watches from a previous auction. I said out loud "I know some people may say the same thing about baseball cards, but I can't believe the prices paid for watches. I could get a functioning watch for a lot cheaper (I say this as someone who has paid upwards to $100-$200 for a watch so I am not just talking about $10 Wal Mart watches). Like this watch sold for $242 thousand"

My wife turned around and said, in disbelief, "$242 thousand? Really?"

I showed her the flier and said "Yes for this one, and over $90 k for this one and $42 k for this one. Like I said though I am sure some have said the same thing about baseball cards that sell for even more"

Her response was classic "yes but some baseball cards are awesome, those are just watches"

So, yes, my wife is supportive.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:46 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Since I deal in general antiques as well as cards my wife views them positively because of their small size.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperguy View Post
You mean my ex-wife???
This is my check box.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

My wife isn't exactly urging me to buy as many cards as I can, but she hasn't minded my collecting all these years because we haven't had to sacrifice anything along the way.

Now, however, that I am "retired" (i.e. my former employer fired my wrinkled old ass as part of a corporate restructuring) that may put a different spin on things. I don't think it should be any different going forward. It might just take me longer to get some new cards or I may actually have to pass up on some I will not be able to afford.

My wife knows darned well what Old Judges look like, but would not be able to tell you what set any other baseball card was from.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Dave

My wife is supportive of me collecting cards. I tell her when I'm going to spend a few hundred $ on a card or other item. Now that I have a great job and have extra money for cards. She humors me with that look when I try to tell her about a new pickup. She finally stopped saying "but you don't even follow any sports".
Old 09-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Cares little abouty old baseball stuff. But, she loves going to games.

Last edited by Ladder7; 09-02-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Eric Perry

Indulging myself with latest card purchase: $33

Amount spent at most recent visit to a card show: $200

Wife who supports my pursuits and has come to Cooperstown with me both times I went to the Hall of Fame: Priceless

BTW - my wife is an avid Phillies fan, and also collects.

I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.

Best regards,

Eric

Last edited by Eric72; 09-03-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:25 PM

My girlfriend is supportive but would prefer I spent the money on her.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:26 PM

First to note Im 14 so I dont think Ill get married anytime soon. So no one cares about my absurd spending. Since I got a paper delivery job Im losing money instead of gaining but its going for a good cause
10 T206s
Old 09-02-2014, 09:17 PM
D0NN1E B

We have 65% totally supportive spouses... That can only mean one thing, she has an expensive hobby too.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
We have 65% totally supportive spouses... That can only mean one thing, she has an expensive hobby too.
Yeah... childbirth
Our oldest is turning 4 next week and our 4th was born 2 months ago.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:30 PM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Yeah... childbirth
Lol.... Congratulations. That's a lot of little people in a very short time!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Mark Fober

My wife has no interest and could not distinguish an '82 Kelloggs from a '34 Butterfinger. Thankfully, all three of my kids share their opinions or give the approval that a hobbyist yearns.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:21 AM
Steven H.

My wife and I are both collectors, although she only collects shiny modern cards. We encourage each other to add to our collections. For every card I pick up she can add at least 10 for the same price . Since she's in medical school and we don't get to spend much time together our collecting keeps us looking froward to the 48 hours in the same house, showing off our weekly finds !!
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 09-03-2014, 07:12 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
+1

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Rob

I get a lot of eye rolls from my wife.

She's a Giants fan too but can't always understand the must have nature of some of my pickups. In the early days, she just could not believe I paid $35 for a Welcome Giants sugar packet. Are you kidding me??????? It's only one of the coolest things EVER!
Old 09-03-2014, 01:51 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206wagner View Post
My wife not only supports my collecting, she encourages me to buy more.
Essentially, same here. She knows I have a hard time pulling the trigger on larger items, but always encourages me when I "feel bad" after doing so, saying it's my money and it's not like we "need" it for other things. She also encouraged me to go to the National this year again when I considered bagging it. Gotta love that!

She also has her own collection of Manu Ginobili cards, that I more-than-happily add to every chance I get.

I probably should clarify though.... she was not my first wife.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:58 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

I should probably also add that whenever I come home from a show (including the National), I can't put my cards away until she looks through them. While she might not be able to tell the difference between a T206 and an E card, she can tell the difference between a T206 and a T205 and knows some Topps years by design. I give her a few more years and she could easily work for a TPG as well.

So there! LOL
Old 09-03-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah... childbirth
WoW Andy!
We had 5, 5 years old and under! I know exactly what goes on iN a "Diaper Changing Party" Home...

A Year later, when my oldest turned 6, He was Collecting Cards & Changing diapers... He's 21 now and doesn't collect anymore. We still have his childhood collection, but He's developed His Mom's personality towards collecting.

She's Very enthusiastic about it All! However, Neither one of them has looked at a Card iN All long time.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Danny Gr|mes

My wife is supportive
Old 09-03-2014, 04:00 PM

Dang, can't give an answer to the poll. Still, my old girlfriend accepted my card collecting as part of my overall being and was fine with my addiction.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Bruce C@rter

Quote:
Yeah... childbirth
Looks like you have another hobby you like more than cards.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Every time my wife goes out to antique shops, fairs etc and she spots a card seller, she asks "I'm looking for Little Cards for my husband" and the weird thing is, they know EXACTLY what she is talking about.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
My wife collects old FireKing stuff, and she has been on a hot streak finding these items at really cheap prices.