NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Default What to do.... need help with card

Posted By: Dave

So I picked up this Chesbro at a reasonable price... the front is great.. no creases, corner wear... etc. But the back still has tape on it.

Would any of you risk trying to get the tape off? Sorry the scans are so blurry.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

leave it alone...unfortunetly because of the tape it is considered low-grade, but you can still read the whole adverisement on the back...BUT, if you tear off the tape, you will certainly pull off a ton of paper & text, and won't be able to read anything on the back anymore...just leave it...just my opinion.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Getting tape residue off can be rather tricky, and, to boot, it's not like it is an EX/MT card, but for the tape stain.

M

Old 11-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Administrator

What's the best that can come of me taking the tape off? It goes from a SGC 20 to a SGC 40? The downside could be much worse I guess.

It's just so tempting, because it literally looks like it will just flake off... but it's never that easy.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

I don't know if it will work on T 206 cardboard (but isn't cardboard cardboard?) but you might want to try a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol.

I have had paper items with tape residue on them (I haven't tried this on a baseball card) and have taken a Q-Tip and dipped it in rubbing alcohol. Then, I took the Q-Tip and slowly (and gently) rubbed it over the tape residue. You might want to try this on your card but in an area with no printing, just in case the alcohol removes the ink.

David

Old 11-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

try dipping it completely in water and let it soak for about 2 mins...then get an exacto knife and scrape off the tape residue, after your done get a hair dryer and use the low heat setting and blow-dry it for several mins...after, get an iron and put that on low heat setting also and iron the crap out of it until it is completely dry and shiny...send it to sgc and you'll probably get a "10/1 poor" at best!

just kidding, leave it alone and upgrade later

Old 11-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Administrator

I think I'm going to turn it into a refractor and iron some tin foil into it too. I can label it a t206 "shiney edition" 1 of 1. Then maybe I'll throw some wood chips and bits of yard to call it a bat/jersey t206 refractor. That will make my collection!

Anyways... I'm more of a presentation collector, not so much of a grade whore. I want vintage cards that present well and have a vintage feel. In fact, I really don't like high grade vintage stuff. They need to look old for me to appreciate them. I know that sounds weird (and maybe my wallet is typing through my fingers there)... but to me, vintage needs to look vintage.

That said, this junk on the back of the card is still tempting me because it looks like it will come off. I need people to tell me to stay the course with it I guess. But if enough people weigh in I might consider something. This is the best place to hear what to do with it.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Taking the tape off would be a huge risk. Even so you still have the back in great shape so even though it will subtract the overall value of the card risking taking of the tape on the back would either sky rocket the price or plummet it down