NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2002, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Default Ebay # 1800535054

Posted By: Anonymous

I have only been hanging around here a short time and have already heard a boatload of bad things about this guy.

I did check on a bunch of his auctions and who is bidding on his stuff. It appears that it is the same 3-4 people that run up the price all time. It's amazing to see to peole with a 50 feedback rating with 200+ feddbacks, almost all from danbuzz or other people that have bid on his auction. They all seem to come from roughly the same geographic area, so that, along with all the cross bidding on items sure makes seem like they are shill bidding. And yes, he still has to pay final price fees even if no action sale of the card took place.

It's very possible that what is going on is that they are using to 'auctions' to justify sales prices in thier stores. This wouldn't be the first time a scam like that has been run. When then internet was only ftp protocol and unenet groups I knew several dealers that would have friends post 'buy' ads on the usenet groups, never actually buying anything and then justify the price they were charging by saying "hey look, there on people on the internet willing to pay this much for this card."

Another variation on this from the 80s was full page ads offering to pay top dollar for certain cards. When you went to thier table at a show, they would tell you that they had already bought as many cards as they wanted. Then a few issues later they were selling these cards based on the supposed buy price they were offering. The gimmick was that they had already bought huge collection of the cards they supposedly wanted and used the buy ad soley to create an artificial price. The grossest example of this I experienced was when one of these dealers was 'buying' high grade Wheaties cards. I walked up to his table with every complete set from 1936-9 on the box, not the just the card, and was told that he was not interested since he already bought all the Wheaties cards that he wanted. Gimmie a break, how many complte boxes of these still exist?

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 01-25-2002, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Hans

It is a somewhat scarce back which still doesn't come close to justifying a $78.00 price tag on that Merkle. I suspect you are right.

Old 01-25-2002, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

test to if I am still turning up anon

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 01-26-2002, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Do you like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people? If you did this at home do you think you would be arrested, and therefore you go to baseball games so you will fit right in?

Old 01-27-2002, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Julie,i think he meant they are not the most common back,he didnt say they were rare,he said "somewhat scarce but doesnt come close to the $78 price", and a rare card would be worth that much....i know my collection isnt the best judge off t206 backs but just in case anyone cares for scarcity reference*:220 out of 430 are piedmont96 are sweet caporal14 are sovereign....it ranks tied for 4th with old mill and behind polar bear also (* use at your own risk)

Old 01-27-2002, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

aren't rare. Julie

Old 01-27-2002, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

but the seller called his card-with-a-chunk-out-of-it "rare."

Julie

Old 01-27-2002, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john

the card ended up selling for $97 to his favorite buyer,somebody should tell hikencook he could have bought 5 of those cards for the same price,but i doubt it would matter because i doubt there was actually a transaction that went on

Old 01-27-2002, 06:28 PM
Administrator

My count of cards I had scans for was 74-37 in favor of Piedmonts

Old 01-28-2002, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim

I wondered myself. Many of his auctions end at $70.-$100., and they are always commons in poor-fair condition. So - I asked him. He was pretty defensive. I told him I wasn't questioning his ethic, just asking how he did it - great marketing? ; ) He was the one that said "no shill bidding going on here..", I never even brought it up (apparently he has been asked before). I told him - and this is the truth - I am accusing him of nothing - just making a very harmless inquiry. I sell alot of T206s on Ebay, and I average about $15. - $20. tops for a common in lower-end condition. He believes that saying "rare" or "old" "vintage card" in his heading is what does it. He says alot of people do searches by "old tobacco cards". The whole discussion got a little messy, so I thanked him for the time and let it go. It is certainly not my place to make accusations or claims against anyone.

By the way - I don't consider Sovereign backs rare at all. When I buy big lots of cards (100-1000) I typically get 15-30% that are Sovereign. I find that alot of places throw a bunch in now, so the lot isn't consisted "just" of Piedmont and Sweet Cap's. Actually, I don't think Old Mill is very rare either. Right now, I am finding Hindu tough, and Carolina Brights increasingly difficult. Of course Drum and Lenox are hard. Broadleaf is also becoming more scarce (probably because collectors are holding them, more hesitant to let them go). The surprise for me has been that, Polar Bear is becoming Very Hard to find. Two years ago I was finding lots that were 40% Polar Bear. Now - one, maybe two. Funny how these things fluctuate.

Old 01-28-2002, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Jim - Apparently he gets a lot of questions like this, probably some that sound a bit threatening. I have exchanged emails with him, extremely similar to the ones you describe, and as a result also tried his subject style, with good results on cheap cards only. Many of my buyers were people who bid on his cards, and their physical addresses were all over the U.S. (and they all paid).

Old 01-28-2002, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I have had danbuzz purchase cards from me in the past. he usually pays decent money for the lowgrade cards. I have a list of about 20 ebay names connect to what I call the "Danbuzz network". From what I can tell if he is shill bidding he is doing it against himself and having to pay the ebay fees, so he is only hurting himself. if you have a problem with his auctions stay away, I'm sure we all have because the prices are so high.

I plan on listing all my Festberg cards under that listing and see how it goes.

Good day to all

Lee

Old 01-28-2002, 10:50 AM
Administrator

...maybe you could list yours exactly backwards, so you can be the "anti-Danbuzz", but still take advantage of the word searches his customers use!

Old 01-28-2002, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

you would think that after awhile, his customers would become a bit more savvy and start looking to see if they are actually getting a good deal or not. But then again, I have never held out much hope for the general populace being all that intelligent. Look at all the laws we need to have to protect them from themselves.

Jay

Old 01-28-2002, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Hans

What I meant, and probably should have said, is that Sovereign 150 backs specifically were more difficult than average. Of course, Sovereign backs in general are relatively common. Still, that card is worth nowhere near $97.00.