NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2002, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Default is this a fake?

Posted By: leon

It has a regular Fro-joy ad on the back in the same kind of blue writing as seen on the front. The few counterfits that I have seen have not been like this one. They have been multi or single colored with black writing. I got it from a reputable dealer and should have some recourse if it's not good.....I am sure a few of you have seen this one before.......regards..

Old 01-13-2002, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Default is this a fake?

Posted By: MW

Leon --

To the best of my knowledge, Fro Joys were only produced in black and white. The card pictured is not an original.

Old 01-13-2002, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Default is this a fake?

Posted By: leon

It is a fake or counterfit...whichever we prefer? Wasn't there a premium or two of this made though? (8 1/2 x 10)? The stock looks very vintage on this one....I believe I heard they made repro's a long time ago of this series. That could account for the "old" stock. Is that correct?
thanks again......

Old 01-13-2002, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Default is this a fake?

Posted By: David

I second Michael's opinion. The Fro Joys were only made in black and white (though there are many black and white reprints). Many reprints, usually the uncut sheets, have been artificially aged with yellow staining.

Old 01-13-2002, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Default is this a fake?

Posted By: petecld

I've never heard of these existing in blue.

I own one of the reprint sheets that has color added to it. Poor color quality makes it look fake. Would have been better to just left it black and white.

Old 01-13-2002, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Default is this a fake?

Posted By: David

Frankly, it looks like a 1970 Topps Super to me (perhaps a short print we're not aware of-- move over Boog Powell). Or an ashtray.

Old 01-14-2002, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Default is this a fake?

Posted By: Marc S.

Vorthian is the resident Fro-Joy expert...but I'm not sure if he knows anything about premiums, etc. It looks very different from every authentic Fro-Joy example I've ever seen, including premiums (at least two of which have been auctioned through Mastro in the past three years, different poses, perhaps)

Old 01-25-2002, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Default is this a fake?

Posted By: dan

originals were only black and white
the older color reprints were made in the mid 1970s
The original premium is just 1 full picture of babe ruth

Old 01-25-2002, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Default is this a fake?

Posted By: jay behrens

there were also reproductions made in B&W that are almost indistinguishable from the orignals. I have seen a real and repro B&W next to each other and it is almost impossible to tell them apart. I know I wouldn't be able to do it if I didn't have a known legit example to compare it to. The repros were made before there was ever any big money in cards, so I doubt the were made to con collectors, although that is what they used for now.

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.