NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-19-2018, 12:50 PM

Default PSA 8 1955 Topps Clemente.... STOLEN!

Hello fellow collectors, A dear friend of mine had a PSA 8 1955 Topps Clemente Rookie STOLEN out of his show case at the East Coast National this weekend (The White Plains NY Show).

This is the only picture I have so far and I am sure the POS scumbag that took it will be busting it out but the flip # is 04011378.

Please keep your eyes open, any help is appreciated.

Dan Mckee

[ATTACH]326232[/ATTACH

a1.jpg

aa1.jpg

Last edited by danmckee; 08-21-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Dan, were you at the show today?
Old 08-19-2018, 12:58 PM
qualitycards

I hate hearing about this, hopefully the card makes it back to the dealer & the bum gets jail time
Old 08-19-2018, 01:01 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I was there today, I guess theft was prevalent this weekend. Talk of the town was the Clemente though

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

I don't understand how easily these things are getting stolen. I'd keep all cases locked at all times. I'd only open one case at a time, and not let the customer handle any of the cards until he asked for a particular one. I'd then only let him handle one at a time. Everyone else can wait.

danmckee: If you know how it was stolen, please share.. I'm sure others here would want to know.

Last edited by rdwyer; 08-19-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Bob McLean

Very sad. The thieving scum bag will likely break it out and replace with a lesser card and try to sell it as a PSA8, then get the stolen card regraded . I'd like to see this stopped, but only total vigilance will get that done. Keep cases locked at all times unless showing an individual card as stated by another poster. The more eyes you have on your inventory at a show the better.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Dan, were you at the show today?
No I did not attend Jeff
Old 08-19-2018, 01:37 PM

I rarely lock my cases at shows though I have so much crap that if they steal something from me, I may not know it.

Also, I wouldn't want to catch anyone stealing from me as I may beat $250,000.00 out of them as that is what My dad had stolen at the 1991 Anaheim National.

My friend is 75 years old, keeps his cases locked but got side tracked and forgot to lock this one after showing a card. He then bought 4 cards from a young man and I believe turned his back to price them and sleeve them and that is when he says he heard a case lid closing. He turned and know one was there.

Truly sad that people have to steal.

Dan Mckee

Last edited by danmckee; 08-19-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:38 PM
Dan Bretta

Time for dealers to start setting up camera systems all around their tables. They aren't that expensive compared to the inventory some of these dealers carry.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Time for dealers to start setting up camera systems all around their tables. They aren't that expensive compared to the inventory some of these dealers carry.
That is really a great idea and cameras are small and light weight and can be used with your phone.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:48 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

A camera system would be great. But the thief would be long gone before reviewing any footage. You would need cameras plus a monitor. I recommend a monitor because you'll have a bigger picture. Or you could review on your iPhone, etc.

Your friend was doing everything right. It's a shame he lost that card.

I can help anyone who needs help setting up a Camera system with DVR. I recommend Swann security systems. Easy to setup, and use.

Last edited by rdwyer; 08-19-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:50 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Scum bag !

I heard some person at this show was caught stealing and arrested by the local police. I also head this guy had a dealer pass. First off is this true, did he have a dealer pass?? How are these people getting dealer passes ??
Old 08-19-2018, 01:51 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

to think only a few days ago there was a thread ripe with complaints about Security Guards and their Dogs at the National.

That theft never should have happened...but an opportunity was seen...and so it goes.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-19-2018, 02:00 PM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Scum bag !

I heard some person at this show was caught stealing and arrested by the local police. I also head this guy had a dealer pass. First off is this true, did he have a dealer pass?? How are these people getting dealer passes ??

The guy caught stealing on Friday did have a dealer pass. A dealer at the front of the room chased the dude down. Not security.

I know several dealers who won’t do this show because they have been clipped for 1000s worth of stuff. It’s sad.

The dealer who had the 8 Clemente stolen is one of the nicest people you would ever meet. Very sad.

Last edited by bigfish; 08-19-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:10 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Big fish I commend the dealer who apprehended the suspect.
Well done !
How did the suspect get a dealer pass ???
Old 08-19-2018, 02:14 PM

Default Dealer pass

I do not know where the theif got the dealer pass. I can only assume another dealer gave who he thought was a collector a badge.

I also commend the dealer who sprinted after the dude and caught him. He deserves a good star and perhaps a sheriffs badge- not joking. Glad someone helped bring a theif to handcuffs.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:16 PM
Banned

you don’t exactly have to pass a background check to get a dealers pass. if you think everyone wearing a dealers pass has the same morals you do, you’re mistaking.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:25 PM
Johnny MaZilli

No Ronnie I’m just trying to figure out a way to have this practice pointed out as being a potential contributing factor to the recent thefts. I’ve potinted this out before that people who aren’t actively set up at a table should not be allowed to have a dealer pass unless they pay for a table. Maybe it just might curtail some larceny. Idk

Last edited by Johnny630; 08-19-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:31 PM
“the bambino”

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
My friend is 75 years old... got side tracked and forgot to lock this one after showing a card. He then bought 4 cards from a young man and I believe turned his back to price them and sleeve them and that is when he says he heard a case lid closing. He turned and know one was there.
I’m not saying this is what happened, so if you’re the guy who sold the cards don’t get pissed at me for pure speculation. But could the scam possibly include the guy selling the card in an effort to distract the dealer? A team effort?
Old 08-19-2018, 02:36 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Back to what I said before. Only one card out at a time. Never let a customer open a case. It should be locked even when showing off one card. This would make it very hard to steal something top dollar. This is how Coin Dealers & Jewelers do it.

Last edited by rdwyer; 08-19-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Christina Vader - banned

Default cameras?

I have never been to the White Plains venue but wondering if there are cameras there? No security staff? How does the dealer not have video from the auditorium for an insurance claim perhaps
As far as the Dealer Pass topic it seems as if those credentials are shared by more than one person--multiple people using same necklace with show promoter oblivious.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:03 PM
Michael S.

I regularly attend the White Plains show, which I happen to love, and can unfortunately attest to the fact that there have been more stolen items than I care to admit. And they always seem to be taken from good people.

The "dealer" that got caught on Friday was seen and apprehended very quickly as a husband and wife team quickly ran him down.

Interestingly enough, there is a dealer in the back corner by the stage who regularly sets-up, and he happily displays a sign that reads "Smile, you're on camera".

It's sad that that has become our reality, but unfortunately, more should follow suit.

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 08-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Johnny MaZilli

off duty police employed by dealers may be the next step. I’d gladly do it.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:46 PM

Default Thief caught at White Plains

Does anyone know the name of who was caught in White Plains? I don't setup there but I do setup at Valley Forge and there are alot of the same people attend each show. If the person attends Valley Forge it would be nice to know of their history.

Last edited by ncinin; 08-19-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:45 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
A camera system would be great. But the thief would be long gone before reviewing any footage. You would need cameras plus a monitor. I recommend a monitor because you'll have a bigger picture. Or you could review on your iPhone, etc.

I can help anyone who needs help setting up a Camera system with DVR. I recommend Swann security systems. Easy to setup, and use.
They may be gone by the time you realize it, but if you have them recorded there's a chance they will be apprehended. Post the footage all over the internet chat boards and facebook and someone will likely know the thief.

edited to add: my brother caught two kids shoplifting today at our store because he was watching them on camera from his office.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 08-19-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:51 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

would be nice for SGC and PSA to post a stolen card section for high dollar cards...

be on the lookout ....like a $30k card would qualify...so if someone was checking on a psa 8 clemeente rookie..they would be told there was a one stolen.....which would hamper the re-sale a ton...and maybe prevent future thefts..
Old 08-19-2018, 06:14 PM
Don Hontz

I was set up at the White Plains show this weekend and there was more stealing going up than ever---I caught one person putting a less expensive card in his pant pockets and told him to empty his pocket, he said he didn't want to lose it so he put it in his pocket!!!--also had $450 worth of cards stolen that were returned to me (from the Ex-Dealer stealing all day Friday)--they came out of my half price boxes---you just cant see everything when talking to collectors or selling---I didn't even know the cards were gone until promoter talked to me--dealer behind me had maybe $1000 stolen--plus many other dealers were hit---but the Clemente was the big hit---and yes, it is a shame---This hurts all of us in the hobby---and the show does have a private security person walking around all day--but that really doesn't seem to help in such a huge place. Anyway, I hope by some small chance, the card is recovered, but who knows. Really wish we could all get a piece of this guy.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:20 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

So having to deal with theft would be one more reason why sellers at shows many times have to charge more than ebay where you hear plenty of people on this board complain about the prices. I can certainly understand all of the costs and time and fees for a show, and on top of that dealing with theft as the reason for these prices..

i am seeing less and less reasons for dealers to take the time and go to shows. Shows are the backbone of the hobby as well...
Old 08-19-2018, 06:48 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
So having to deal with theft would be one more reason why sellers at shows many times have to charge more than ebay where you hear plenty of people on this board complain about the prices. I can certainly understand all of the costs and time and fees for a show, and on top of that dealing with theft as the reason for these prices..

I am seeing less and less reasons for dealers to take the time and go to shows. Shows are the backbone of the hobby as well...
Good point. Not sure how many would want to return to any show if thievery is prevalent, or becoming more so it seems at these shows.

Last edited by irv; 08-19-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:59 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post

You can also put sensors on the case that would beep when opened if you are not the person with the sensor that disarms the beeper...sort of like a swipe card for automatic gates....

The downside to all this is dealers may be charged extra to run electricity to their booths... sucks...

I never witness this at WP show and have been going since Rothstein days...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:07 PM
Greg C

Default White Plains

I love the white plains show. It is one of the better card events in this region of the country. A lot happened this weekend but at least a portion of the negativity was thwarted by dealer-teamwork. Let's continue to be vigilant and find the missing Clemente (and my Mantle for that matter). The guy who got the Clemente robbed is truly one of the nicest people I know in the card world. Everybody keep your ears and eyes open. These high profile cards can't hide forever.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
would be nice for SGC and PSA to post a stolen card section for high dollar cards...

be on the lookout ....like a $30k card would qualify...so if someone was checking on a psa 8 clemeente rookie..they would be told there was a one stolen.....which would hamper the re-sale a ton...and maybe prevent future thefts..
Highly unlikely anyone is going to try to move that card in that holder.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:30 PM

One thing the grading card industry could do would be drill a hole in the top of the slab and put one of those computer locks and attach it to the table or dealers show case or such. That would prevent the casual stolen card. If the thief cuts the wire, a very loud alarm goes off. Maybe security could close all doors right then and search everyone in the room...
Old 08-19-2018, 07:48 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
One thing the grading card industry could do would be drill a hole in the top of the slab and put one of those computer locks and attach it to the table or dealers show case or such. That would prevent the casual stolen card. If the thief cuts the wire, a very loud alarm goes off. Maybe security could close all doors right then and search everyone in the room...
I thought of the same thing, have the TPG's place a small, reinforced metal grommet in their slabs so sellers could chain/tether/cable their cards to their cases or tables.

I know most suggestions are likely too hard to implement but nothing will ever change, and maybe get worse, if we all just sit on our hands.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:22 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Highly unlikely anyone is going to try to move that card in that holder.
right but the picture is there that may have some traits..so if someone was selling me an 8 with another cert number..i may check the 'attention stolen card' section on psa and see similarities with the former cert number
Old 08-19-2018, 10:36 PM
J@son C@rter

Default High dollar

Something like this could be used for high dollar items. While it may block part of the card when put on, it could be removed for the right customer. If someone tries to cut the wires without disengaging the alarm, it will continually sound off. Not the best solution, but the appearance of antitheft devices would be a deterrent within itself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-Alarm...gAAOSwYUdbM-PZ
Old 08-20-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
right but the picture is there that may have some traits..so if someone was selling me an 8 with another cert number..i may check the 'attention stolen card' section on psa and see similarities with the former cert number
Or a 6 or 7.... No guarantee the card gets an 8 again. Grading isn't always consistent as we are all human
Old 08-20-2018, 05:31 AM

Keep your eyes peeled and concentrate on the centering. The card may also be sold raw.... remember the current owner of the card has absolutely nothing in it.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:38 AM

Also would someone be so kind as to post this story and picture on the PSA chat board and LTS chat board?

many thanks to all of you, your time and efforts are appreciated.

Dan Mckee
Old 08-20-2018, 08:05 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I will keep an eye out for your friend Dan and I have my hopes up that such a recognizable card can be found. I would keep an eye out for sgc cases too, as it can be easy to send it for crossover to avoid a grade drop. Maybe contact sgc and bvg as a heads up with the cert.

As to all the James Bond expensive solutions that keep popping up in the thread, they seem pretty far fetched for the average card dealer. Let's be realistic here, for less than 75 bucks a piece someone could put two go-pros covering the entire table from behind and have film to turn over to the authorities. Have this at just 15-20% of tables and the culprits would likely turn up on several cams at different times as they walked to and from. Cake walk fix.

They may even get away, but could be id'ed easily after the fact.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-20-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
No Ronnie I’m just trying to figure out a way to have this practice pointed out as being a potential contributing factor to the recent thefts. I’ve potinted this out before that people who aren’t actively set up at a table should not be allowed to have a dealer pass unless they pay for a table. Maybe it just might curtail some larceny. Idk
unless the card was stolen at a time of the show during which only people with dealer passes were admitted, the dealer pass has little if anything to do with the theft. i understand you don’t like non dealers having dealer passes.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:15 AM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I was set up at the White Plains show this weekend and there was more stealing going up than ever---I caught one person putting a less expensive card in his pant pockets and told him to empty his pocket, he said he didn't want to lose it so he put it in his pocket!!!--also had $450 worth of cards stolen that were returned to me (from the Ex-Dealer stealing all day Friday)--they came out of my half price boxes---you just cant see everything when talking to collectors or selling---I didn't even know the cards were gone until promoter talked to me--dealer behind me had maybe $1000 stolen--plus many other dealers were hit---but the Clemente was the big hit---and yes, it is a shame---This hurts all of us in the hobby---and the show does have a private security person walking around all day--but that really doesn't seem to help in such a huge place. Anyway, I hope by some small chance, the card is recovered, but who knows. Really wish we could all get a piece of this guy.

Don, enjoyed meeting you at the National and wish I had more time to look at your cards. It is a shame we have to be so cautious with our inventory, it is a fine line between being careful and putting off potential buyers with too much scrutiny. Something has to be done, just not sure what.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:20 AM
Bryan Dec

Dan, what day was the Clemente stolen? The guy arrested on Friday up there was David Festberg..old-time hobbyist and had a store in Brooklyn back in the day, but now on to other things apparently.

Hope the card turns-up from the attention this is getting.

Regards,

Bryan Dec
Old 08-20-2018, 12:41 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Holy crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdecsports View Post
Dan, what day was the Clemente stolen? The guy arrested on Friday up there was David Festberg..old-time hobbyist and had a store in Brooklyn back in the day, but now on to other things apparently.

Regards,

Bryan Dec
Dave was a long time dealer. I was speaking with another dealer who had purchased stuff from him at the show - hope it was legit! I did business with him a long time ago. I think he also ran auctions for a short time. So sad that he chose to resort to this.

Just found this old thread too:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=61226

Looks like not the first time and not just cards

https://www.facebook.com/ulsterpolic...9207142143802/

Last edited by hcv123; 08-20-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:59 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdecsports View Post

Regards,

Bryan Dec
Dave F was a dick to me at a show many years ago...karma's a bitch!
Old 08-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Larry More.y

Speaking of old Festberg threads, the irony of post #12 in this one:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=92635
Old 08-20-2018, 01:02 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Oh the irony

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1986/07...3129522302400/
Old 08-20-2018, 01:08 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Coming soon to a town near you:

Background checks and waiting periods required for '52 Mantle purchases.

I'm almost kidding.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-20-2018, 01:20 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

It would be nice to be able to come up with the same technology that department stores use in the clothing department. A small tag can be mounted to the back of the slab which would set off an alarm when the card passed thru a spot which reads the tag. Security would also be positioned at these areas where the tag is read.

The dealer would have a means to remove the tag when the card is sold.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 08-20-2018, 02:28 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
Also would someone be so kind as to post this story and picture on the PSA chat board and LTS chat board?

many thanks to all of you, your time and efforts are appreciated.

Dan Mckee

Link posted on PSA message board.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox