NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-16-2012, 08:56 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default T206 master set collectors.. When will the insanity end?

Last night's results on goodwin proves this is still an ongoing thing. I am actually thinking of consigning some of my collection that i have had many years, and going ahead and pulling the trigger. I can't imagine them ever bringing more money....anyone else have similar thoughts?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Belltown Vintage

The prices seem ridiculous and unpredictable - the pink Chase sealing the deal, and the blue-background Evers supporting the fact.

It's amazing how many NM T206's survived 100 years in pristine shape, especially short ones, but odd how none of the tall or wide ones did. Weird.

As more of the old guys who were around before the pristine T206's started appearing, stop collecting, and more of the 'slab era' collectors enter the market, you could actually see your cards gain value.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:07 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Scott- the tinker and evers really shocked me even more than the chase. The tinker sgc 50 had rounded corners, and still brings $4400??

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 03-16-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 AM
pete ullman

I have sold all of my "rarer" t206's as of lately. I feel prices cant continue at such crazy levels...but...i usually sell too early so who knows?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:24 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Prices are still all over the place some really tougher cards pull less and some make you scratch your head.

Really detailed or a tad over the top write ups help making the avg. pedestrian card sound almost super human and can result in big bucks. Also playing all-out or unaware of defects helps too…as on the Drum card.

“we are totally mystified as to why this card did not receive a mid-grade assessment?”

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetai...Back-Listed-in

Mystified really? Pretty sure that’s a pinhole as a friend pointed out, even if it’s not I’m sure they could find out why it’s a PSA 1 and explain in detail within the write up. However doing so takes away the romance and can take away the hammer price. You have to remember at all times these guys (Auction Houses) are salesmen it’s not just plastic it’s a space age polymer.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 03-16-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 AM
pete ullman

Agree w/john
Old 03-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Scott- the tinker and evers really shocked me even more than the chase. The tinker sgc 50 had rounded corners, and still brings $4400??
I just didn't think Chase was an attractive card - blemishes on the left border and at the top. Didn't seem minor to me.

A PSA NM 7 is a card with just a slight surface wear visible upon close inspection. There may be slight fraying on some corners. Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. A minor printing blemish is acceptable. Slight wax staining is acceptable on the back of the card only. Most of the original gloss is retained. Centering must be approximately 70/30 to 75/25 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:01 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Scott- you are right about the chase, plus the centering was slightly off. It is a somewhat rare card in grades higher than a 6, but i agree that at best it was mediocre 7....
Old 03-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I thought prices of T206's would level out this year but its not looking that way. Figured since the 100 year birthday of the set had passed and maybe the impulse type of collectors would loose interest in the set also. I guess theres more Master set collectors than we know of and they have deep pockets too. Some of those prices just don't even seem right. Maybe Bill Gates and Warren Buffet both decided to start a set and money is no object when it comes to the winning bid. The Jack Chesbro EPDG went for a fair price but thats about it.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Matt

Maybe more people are treating pre-war cards as an alternative investment vehicle?

Matt

Last edited by Vintageismygame; 03-16-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Changed wording
Old 03-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageismygame View Post
Maybe more people are treating pre-war cards as an alternative investment vehicle?

Matt
Now that's frightening.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac44 View Post
Now that's frightening.
Frightening but not new at all. Over 12 yrs ago I put most of my chips in, in the hobby. Haven't regretted it a bit. I suspect with the stock market doing really well at the moment, and probably the rest of the year (knock on wood), we will see more discretionary income coming into the hobby. Now is a great time to be a buyer on most things except early Ruth and T206 (and some others but those come to mind). I predict T206 rare backs will continue their rise for some more time. Doesn't bother me a bit . best regards
Old 03-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Kevin,

The prices are definately insane, I keep telling my self I should move some of my Cycle 460s but I really don't think there would be much of a chance of replacing them in the future. If these people are buying these cards with the intention of keeping them in their collection for life. It will help to dry up the supply that will be available if any newbies are interested in getting any of them, those keeping the prices high.

I have learned from being in this hobby for 30 years that if you are in it for the money you need to sell when things are hot. If your in it to collect, take a breath and hold off until "hot" dies down.

At this point my CYCles are more important to me in my collection than having a big chunk of money right now. Hopefully nothing changes that in the future. I have put my focus on buying T202 with backs I don't have right now because the market is down on them.

I have sold off most of my other tougher backs in this time frame and probably will sell a few more in the next months.

I have been trying to figure out if these huge prices are condition sensitive or are these buyers just buying whats available.

Lee
Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Joe M.

Maybe I should sell this card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobbg.jpg (72.1 KB, 257 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-16-2012, 05:36 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Maybe I should sell this card.
I'll gladly take it off your hands. You should post that card at least once a week. A real beauty.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 PM

Default not slowing down...

the wagner just will continue to fuel interest.....and i think lee and leon hit it on the head.....but t206 will always be popular and highly colletable
Old 03-17-2012, 04:21 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Thinking of selling my t206 cy young sgc 86 (tolstoi back). Master set millionaires, please contact me!!