NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-16-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Set collecting makes you hearken back to the innocent and nostalgic days of youth when the cards were released in series and you and your friends were on a non-stop effort to trade, flip, etc., to check off the numbers (yes, with a pen or pencil!!) on your checklists. When that finally happened, you would wait with bated breath until the next series was issued and the process gloriously started anew!! We would always make sure we had two checklists from each series, one to mark up and one to keep. When you were missing cards at the end of the year? Heck, that's what winter was for. Every time you went over to your friends' houses, you were always on the lookout for the cards you needed to trade for. Add the smell of cardboard and gum to the mix, and that's what set collecting means to me.
Nailed it!
Old 08-16-2018, 04:47 PM
Nick J@yj@ck

One of the approaches I take to deal with the fact that funds are not unlimited is that I buy a few cards that I've always wanted, enjoy them for a few months or a year or two, then sell them and take the proceeds and start all over again with a different group of cards. Although I've so far held onto all of the sets I've built, there's no reason this approach would not also work for sets. I save all my scans of the cards I once owned, and it's fun to go back and view them every once in a while. No regrets, fortunately.

I do have around 6-10 cards that I consider untouchables and never intend to sell, but who knows.

One thing I do tell myself quite often is to not overthink all of this, or dwell on any aspect of it too much. It's just cardboard and it's just a hobby. It's not meant to be difficult.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Once upon a time I tried to do a D303 Mothers Bread set. Talk about a lesson in futility? I think I gave up at around 20-25 different. For the regular sets it just takes money. For rare ones it takes patience and time.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:41 PM

Not me, I love collecting a set
Old 08-21-2018, 09:06 PM
Marcos

Default Decisions

Hmm, a timely thread for me indeed. I recently dug out the cards of my youth, and I’m now deciding whether or not I should try to complete my 1963 Topps baseball set. I have over half - but I’m missing a lot of the high series cards - including Rose.

The good news is that I have about a thousand 60, 61 and 62 star cards and commons to sell or trade. Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:05 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Piggybacking on this, you might want to consider strictly team sets of your favorite team from each year.
^^This.... I completed a t205-t207 Reds subset and had a blast doing it. Finished out the 33-34 Goudeys recently and have slowly started working on caramel cards. Due to the history and them being my hometown team even the commons are fun to collect. I'm also working on the complete T205 set but it isn't nearly as fun. Am considering a mid 50's Topps set that is manageable (200-300 cards) but it's hard to get excited about the commons. At least with prewar you get to collect a bunch of characters. All one has to do is look at the stories of people like Larry McLean (Died in a barfight) or Bugs Raymond (quit during the end of a season to become a bartender) to get a kick out of collecting anyone from that era. Would love to do a junk wax set of autos at some point. Have seen others collect sets like 87 Topps autos and it seems like a good challenge and the cards are actually really good looking with the sigs.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:13 PM
Marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick55 View Post
One of the approaches I take to deal with the fact that funds are not unlimited is that I buy a few cards that I've always wanted, enjoy them for a few months or a year or two, then sell them and take the proceeds and start all over again with a different group of cards. Although I've so far held onto all of the sets I've built, there's no reason this approach would not also work for sets. I save all my scans of the cards I once owned, and it's fun to go back and view them every once in a while. No regrets, fortunately.

I do have around 6-10 cards that I consider untouchables and never intend to sell, but who knows.

One thing I do tell myself quite often is to not overthink all of this, or dwell on any aspect of it too much. It's just cardboard and it's just a hobby. It's not meant to be difficult.
This is a very interesting (and relevant) thread for me. I’m in the process of deciding whether to complete my half finished 1963 Topps baseball set. These posts are all insightful - even the one that describes the run of graded Bob Eucker cards.

I really like the ideas in your post - especially the one about taking quality scans of your cards before selling them - so you can view them later. And, I note that you state “no regrets” with this approach so far.

Like you, I would also have a small number of cards that I’d consider “untouchables”. These are the ones that never fail to make me smile - and I’d want to hold onto them. It’s psychological no doubt - but they wisk me back for a moment to the carefree days of my youth. Priceless in a way.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:28 AM
Todd Schultz

Default My sad tale.

I’m afraid I’m a lost cause. I can’t seem to settle into anything, although now m101s occupy most of my energy. I was born and raised a set collector, and still have much of that in my blood, but I have few sets anymore, and do not really chase them, much less runs of them covering consecutive years. Here’s a peek at my decades of drifting (dates are approximate):

1966-1982. Topps sets only, until 1981 made me realize I had to have Fleer and Donruss and that this was only going to expand, not contract. Soooo..

1982-1992: collect all sets but no inserts unless they really caught my eye. Started player collecting–picked 10 players from 50's/60's and tried to get all of their cards.

1993: stopped collecting modern cold turkey, and have not gone back. Started team collecting: Minnesota Twins, with regionals. Getting stuck on player collections–those early cards in my required nm-mt range were pricey.

1995-1998: started regional collecting: North Stars and Vikings w/other oddball Minnesota stuff. Also, I had always collected all four major sports so I started to go back and try and start or fill some non-baseball sets from the 1960's and early 70's. My 10 player set was being sold off bit by bit for other projects–unrecognizable today.

Around this time I began to dabble more in prewar. I had always been willing to drop $$ on anything that interested me over the years, with no focus, but looked at it more seriously now. Problem was, I was always a high-grade guy only, the rest turned me off, so I had to take a reality pill.

1999. Now I’m more into sets again, this time professionally graded. Childhood sets are disassembled and sold as I convinced myself only “pack fresh” cards would do. One of many mistakes. Kept my 1961 raw set though--but decided it not worthwhile to submit these for grading by the dozens just so I could have slabbed cards and get affirmation of my grading prowess.

2000-2012 Mostly prewar thank you, although not afraid to drink and bid at auctions on anything that catches my eye (still true). Begin type collecting and like it. Kept set collecting though–m101, Colgan, Sweet Cap pins. Start and abandon at least a dozen other set projects--remnants remain.

2008-2014. HOF set, mostly focused post-war. Rules were only one of each player and every major set had to be represented but could only have one card, with occasional regionals. Fun for awhile–then abandoned for $$$.

2016- present. Still chase m101s. Still have a few prewar sets as projects. Still have types, but not a type collector. Most post-war graded cards gone. Started collecting nice raw cards from 1950's and 1960's when the mood strikes. No hurries, no worries. And as is obvious, no clue.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.