NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T

Old 06-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Bill Boyd

Default A look at Ruth's eyes and info to many Ruth photos in Goldin Auction.

hi all,
This all started a little over a year ago when I came on board showing a few Ruth photos from my cousin's collection. I researched his collection somewhat, but almost all the information regarding these photos, I got from you, so again I thank you very much. That is why I had so many questions some time ago, but in the meantime, I have grown to love the photo collection hobby.
So now I can say finally, that the collection is up for preview as we speak, at Goldin Auction, sorry, no iconic photos, (I know how you guys love that term), but there are some of interest. 168 in all.
Joe Williams interviewing Ruth 2 months before the "called shot". Some classics of Ruth Day and 25th yankee stadium anniversary, a few VanOeyens photos, and a couple of Henry Seid.
Of interest is three pictures which made the front page of the Cleveland Press. One photo has written on the back, "Ruth's eyes". The copies of these three I found in VanOeyen's collection and the WRHS. All three have never been seen before because I believe they were never distributed to other newspapers (I don't believe), as it was just an in house article relating to Ruth being sick and rumors of his decline.
Again, these photos are not mine, but with the owners permission, now that they are posted on Goldin's preview, I can talk and post a few that I have scanned. and if anybody is interested, I can give you maybe, a little further information about the photos. All came out of the Cleveland Press archives.
You helped me, and I hope to help you, as much as I can.
Lance, now you can let the cat out of the bag.
Thank You

Bill Boyd

Ruth article pg 1 .jpg

Ruth Article Pg 2369.jpg
here is the newspaper article of the three photos.

Last edited by billyb; 06-19-2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Bill Boyd

Here is what is titled as Ruth's eyes. The photo was used to create an even closer photo for the newspaper.
The article talks first about Ruth having either the flu or a cold, but then goes into the rumors about Ruth's legs are slowing him down, or possibly his eyesight is going bad. And with that Ruth showed how he is using an eyewash to keep his eyes clear, then staring into the camera, with a look of determination, daring anyone to find something wrong. Then hiking his robe up, shows everyone, that there is nothing wrong with his legs.
Then the story that most have heard that Lazzeri stole Ruth's eyewash, filled it with water, and in front of Ruth, started to drink from the eyewash bottle. Ruth tried to get the bottle from him, afraid Lazzeri would get sick.

To me, this was the beginning of the decline of Ruth. That is what this photo, or these three, means to me. Titled " Ruth's eyes" on the back, in no way am I saying this is anything close to the Conlon beauty, but this photo, along with it's two sister photos, has it's own story, it's own provenance. Ruth is declining, his record shows that, and Ruth is trying to beat back the rumors. But it is 1933, and in just a few more years, the Yankees won't want him any longer.
VanOeyen must have thought highly of the below photo. It still has the tissue attached, that protects the photo.
Below is the Press photo and second is an edited copy of mine, as to what this photo, if it exists, would look like (newspaper copy).

Ruth's eyes, by Van Oeyen.jpg

Attachment 148772

Last edited by billyb; 05-28-2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Bill Boyd

Sorry this has taken so long, not all photos were accounted for, so before I put this information out there for all, I wanted to make sure those photos were in place.
The lots I will be talking about will be 286 thru 318, and 1156 and 1158.

There are some lots with many photos in each and here are some of the interesting ones not listed by Goldin. In the funeral photos should be two photos, identical, of 2 youths with baseball equipment stopped at the casket, and I think it says, game cancelled. One photo with both Mrs. Ruth and Mrs Gehrig together at casket. A view inside on St. Patrick Cathedral.
In one of the lots is wedding photo of Ruth's second marriage. Babe's 40th birthday cake, also two 1947 photos showing Ruth's grip.
There is one photo of Frankie Haggerty, who stood in for Ruth at Brother Gilbert's funeral. And a close up photo of Frankie Haggerty, very small photo.
There are three photo of Ruth in hospital after being struck by batted ball hit by Gehrig.
There is one photo of Ruth, Ott, Hubbell and Farley (Politician), at Radio City Music Hall, to give speech regarding death of Gehrig.
Two photos of Ruth giving blood to daughter Julie.
At lot 1158, is Yankee Dugout an moment of silence for Ruth. Why that photo so far away, I don't know.
All or most of these photos are hiding among the piles. At lot 1156 in Paul Waner, selecting a bat for hit number.
I can give you the stamp on the back and year, if available, and an approximate condition Just have to ask.
The golf photos have many HOFers. Speaker, Dean, Byrd, Foxx, Cobb,
Paul Waner.
Even one photo of Babe's grave marker, one year later, small marker taken before memorial was put in place.
Can't forget Ruth walking outside of Yankee stadium on his last day as a Yankee.

Just ask if you have any questions.

Bill Boyd

Last edited by billyb; 06-22-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Bill Boyd

If anyone has seen the above Ruth closeup in Goldin Auctions, and read the description, the description is completely wrong. I have been trying to get them to change it, but no response just yet.
First error, VanOeyen was not writing a book about Babe Ruth, the photos in the VanOeyen collection at the WRHS were to be for VanOeyens autobiography titled "Forty Years in Focus."
The second error is about the copyright to those photos. Getty owns the copyright to a portrait of Babe Ruth that was used to create the above photo of what is titled on the back as "Ruth's eyes". But in Getty's collection, nowhere is that closeup found, negative or photo. Nor is any copy in the WRHS. That close up of Ruth's eyes is the only original Press photo known to exist. The eye wash photo is also in Getty's collection and Negative and rights to Getty. The third photo, copyrights are owned by the WRHS.
The Goldin Auction has all three reversed as to ownership, of copyrights goes.
We still hope to have the description corrected. I have sent them all the information and proof they need to make the change. So if anyone is interested in the trio of photos offered in lot 291 at Goldin Auction, I hope you read this first.
If you want to ask any further questions, or wish to see any documentation/photos, just contact me via PM, or just ask on this thread.