NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2016, 12:34 AM
Michael Peters

Default Dead thread

Dead thread: I am reposting in the proper B/S/T section.

Thanks to all those who responded initially and thanks for your patience as I get used to this site.

Last edited by The Cardboard Fan; 01-18-2016 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Wrong section.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:41 AM
Phil Garry

Good luck with your quest. Your grading criteria for everything post-war would make for a very nice collection. If you go with "true" rookie cards for pre-war, 6's will be an impossibility in more cases than not. If you are talking "mainstream" rookie cards like 1933 Goudeys and Cracker Jacks, etc., it may be possible but quite expensive.

If you have any specific questions, I spent 10 years doing this type of collection, just PM me.

BTW Michael, just noticed that you are in the Orlando area as well, just moved here last summer from NJ.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 01-17-2016 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:55 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardboard Fan View Post
I am slowly working on a PSA graded HOFer RC collection that consists of grades of 6+ for pre-war vintage(I know some I will not be able to afford or even find), 7+ for post-war vintage, and due to larger availability either 9 or 10 on modern just depending on the pop reports and how bloated the prices are. All cards in my PC will be in the new PSA slabs. I am not opposed to considering old PSA slabs, SGC, BVG/BGS, even GAI in certain instances but keep in mind price wise that I will be crossing them over. I am willing to trade (once my wife and I settle into our new house in February) or purchase if priced right and as my funds permit of course. Let me know what you have within my needs and we can go from there.

Current PC: Still to be scanned
1961 Topps #141 Billy Williams RC - PSA NM 7
1977 Topps #144 Bruce Sutter RC - PSA NM-MT 8
1982 Donruss #405 Cal Ripken RC - PSA MT 9
1982 Fleer #176 Cal Ripken RC - PSA MT 9
1982 Topps #21 Bob Bonner RC/Cal Ripken RC/Jeff Schneider RC - PSA MT 9
1983 Donruss #277 Ryne Sandberg RC - PSA MT 9
1985 Donruss #438 Kirby Puckett RC - PSA MT 9
1988 Fleer #539 Tom Glavine RC - PSA GEM-MT 10
1989 Score #645 Randy Johnson RC - PSA GEM-MT 10
1990 Fleer Update #87 Frank Thomas RC - PSA GEM-MT 10
1991 Upper Deck Final Edition #2F Pedro Martinez RC - PSA GEM-MT 10

To be submitted for crossover:
1964 Topps #541 Rookie Stars/Phil Roof/Phil Niekro RC - SGC NM-MT 8

Incoming:
1988 Score #638 Tom Glavine RC - PSA GEM-MT 10
1989 Bowman #266 John Smoltz RC - PSA GEM-MT 10
1989 Topps Traded #41T Ken Griffey Jr. RC - PSA GEM-MT 10
1990 Leaf #300 Frank Thomas RC - PSA GEM-MT 10

Thanks for the look,

The Cardboard Fan
it costs 5 dollars to get a new psa slab from an old one...and if you are crossing over a few cards at the same time than postage really doesn't matter...so not sure you need to talk about 'old psa' slabs versus new as its just 5 bucks I believe in terms of costs..
Old 01-17-2016, 08:44 AM
Derek Granger

Best of luck w/ your collecting goals! Like Phil, above, I have been working on my HOF rookie collection for about 10+ years and am constantly needing to move some of the more "common/liquid" material when life takes precedence or when an esoteric one-of-a-kind type card surfaces. I probably have a few things that would fit your needs.

Take a look at my imageevent website below (on my signature) or email me if you ever want some advice.

Enjoy the journey!!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-17-2016, 09:12 AM
Michael Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Good luck with your quest. Your grading criteria for everything post-war would make for a very nice collection. If you go with "true" rookie cards for pre-war, 6's will be an impossibility in more cases than not. If you are talking "mainstream" rookie cards like 1933 Goudeys and Cracker Jacks, etc., it may be possible but quite expensive.

If you have any specific questions, I spent 10 years doing this type of collection, just PM me.

BTW Michael, just noticed that you are in the Orlando area as well, just moved here last summer from NJ.
Yes I most definitely will stick to my criteria standards for post-war. I may have to reevaluate pre-war as I start to make a move on that section of my PC. I see there are a decent number of 5 grade 33 Goudeys available but selection of 6's are rarer.

For now I would be collecting the "mainstream" RC designated stuff 33 Goudey, 34 Goudey, 39 Play Ball, etc. but I have aspirations to one day get into the first appearance cards if I ever am in a situation to afford it.

I moved down here almost 2 years ago from Atlanta.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:14 AM
Michael Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
it costs 5 dollars to get a new psa slab from an old one...and if you are crossing over a few cards at the same time than postage really doesn't matter...so not sure you need to talk about 'old psa' slabs versus new as its just 5 bucks I believe in terms of costs..
Thank you, I know the costs are not overwhelming but as mentioned first preference will be the new slabs. I will consider the others but there are additional costs involved grading, shipping, insurance, etc. as well as the costs for PSA membership I believe if I am going to grade with them. That I have to check the specifics on.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:20 AM
Michael Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Best of luck w/ your collecting goals! Like Phil, above, I have been working on my HOF rookie collection for about 10+ years and am constantly needing to move some of the more "common/liquid" material when life takes precedence or when an esoteric one-of-a-kind type card surfaces. I probably have a few things that would fit your needs.

Take a look at my imageevent website below (on my signature) or email me if you ever want some advice.

Enjoy the journey!!
You have an amazing collection. Beyond anything I could hope to do I see your focus has been on first appearance including the minor league cards etc. that is stunning. I will definitely be in touch with you in the future.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:26 AM

Feel free to check out my store below. Good luck!

Smooth Transactions ezez420.frankbmd.northviewcats.t206hound.Beatles Guy.team-of-rivals.LukeLyon.ValKehl.Double-P-Enterprises.Hcom24.midmo.pow323.Tolstoi.WillowGrov e.Dougscats.t206Collector.cammb.pclpads.Jobu.eseho mbre.BocaBirdman, 38Goudeyman and many more
Old 01-17-2016, 09:43 AM
Michael Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetson_1883 View Post
Feel free to check out my store below. Good luck!
You have a number that fall within the parameters of my PC. Some I can't afford at the moment but a couple are within range of something I could move on now. I would have to reslab but no worries on that. I will PM you once I figure out what I might want.

Thanks,

Last edited by The Cardboard Fan; 01-17-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:05 AM
Jimi

Best of luck! I certainly have no idea what your budget is, but I will say this about my own experiences. I had similar aspirations a few years ago, but the reality is that if you really just want a RC of each HOFer, you'll end up taking whatever grade you can get. There were times that I down graded so I had more cash to spend on another RC. And....when a rare RC shows up....you buy it! I wanted a La Presse Conlon for so looooong....and I finally have one coming that I felt I got a good price for (thanks, Derek!) PATIENCE IS KEY!!!

Additionally, those grades don't exist for every HOFer's RC either, especially for prewar or Negro Leaguers. I'm kind of glad though, too, since some of the low grade ones are expensive enough!

Derek and Phil are great resources, as mentioned before, so if you have any questions, they're the guys to go to.

Jimi
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 01-17-2016, 12:18 PM
D0NN1E B

Good luck Michael. I wanted to try this but after considering cost I decided any card of the player manufactured during their playing career would have to do. It'll be fun to follow your process if you keep this post updated.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Thank you, I know the costs are not overwhelming but as mentioned first preference will be the new slabs. I will consider the others but there are additional costs involved grading, shipping, insurance, etc. as well as the costs for PSA membership I believe if I am going to grade with them. That I have to check the specifics on.
Just a few tips.... you do not have to be a member to submit to PSA. Many folks take advantage of the free submissions that come with the membership and may choose to become a member for that reason. There is a limit to the value of the card on the free submissions, though.

Also, to get a card from an old holder into a new holder all you have to do is pay $5 for a "reholder". In this case, no additional grading is done by PSA.

While this type of thread may be better suited for the "Buy/Sell/Trade" forum, we will let you slide if you post some scans or pics of some of your cards.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Michael Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimivintage View Post
Best of luck! I certainly have no idea what your budget is, but I will say this about my own experiences. I had similar aspirations a few years ago, but the reality is that if you really just want a RC of each HOFer, you'll end up taking whatever grade you can get. There were times that I down graded so I had more cash to spend on another RC. And....when a rare RC shows up....you buy it! I wanted a La Presse Conlon for so looooong....and I finally have one coming that I felt I got a good price for (thanks, Derek!) PATIENCE IS KEY!!!

Additionally, those grades don't exist for every HOFer's RC either, especially for prewar or Negro Leaguers. I'm kind of glad though, too, since some of the low grade ones are expensive enough!

Derek and Phil are great resources, as mentioned before, so if you have any questions, they're the guys to go to.

Jimi
Thanks Jimi, I'm starting with designated RC's basically as you'd find them in Beckett, then XRC's, then the parallels, variations, errors, of both. Finally if I ever get to that point I will start working on the early pre-war, first appearance cards and so on. I anticipate this to be a life long chase with some cards that more than likely will forever be out of my reach.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Michael Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
Good luck Michael. I wanted to try this but after considering cost I decided any card of the player manufactured during their playing career would have to do. It'll be fun to follow your process if you keep this post updated.

Good luck!
Yeah there are some such as the 51 Bowman Mantle and 54 Topps Aaron that I will not be able to afford any time soon especially in the conditions I want. Never the less I plan this to be my hobby for years and years to come.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Michael Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Just a few tips.... you do not have to be a member to submit to PSA. Many folks take advantage of the free submissions that come with the membership and may choose to become a member for that reason. There is a limit to the value of the card on the free submissions, though.

Also, to get a card from an old holder into a new holder all you have to do is pay $5 for a "reholder". In this case, no additional grading is done by PSA.

While this type of thread may be better suited for the "Buy/Sell/Trade" forum, we will let you slide if you post some scans or pics of some of your cards.
Good to know about PSA. I thought I posted in the B/S/T perhaps a mod can move this there?. Soon as we settle into our new house in a few weeks I'll be able to get caught up scanning.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:05 PM
Phil Garry

Just one piece of advice that I will share with you, if you feel that ultimately you will be looking for the earliest collectible for each pre-war HOF'er, wait until you can afford that item for each rather than buying more mainstream and continually upgrading from there. I did a lot of upgrading over the years and found that I lost money more times than not when I had to sell the old card.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 01-17-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Michael Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Just one piece of advice that I will share with you, if you feel that ultimately you will be looking for the earliest collectible for each pre-war HOF'er, wait until you can afford that item for each rather than buying more mainstream and continually upgrading from there. I did a lot of upgrading over the years and found that I lost money more times than not when I had to sell the old card.
Yeah I wouldn't be doing any upgrading. I'm getting what I want up front or waiting. I'm starting with the RC's though.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Good to know about PSA. I thought I posted in the B/S/T perhaps a mod can move this there?. Soon as we settle into our new house in a few weeks I'll be able to get caught up scanning.
Cool, it's always nice to see others' collections. No biggie about moving it. Good luck with the collection!
Old 01-17-2016, 04:52 PM
je.sse @rnot

I'm working on a similar collection but a different approach. I'm more interested in the bigger name guys, so I've added Mantle, Mays, Clemente, Gehrig, etc. I don't think I'll ever add every HOFer, but have also added most of the recent players in PSA 10, Griffey, Maddux, Glavine, Larkin, etc. I am willing to go lower grade than you mention because I can't afford the big cards in high grade, although I try to get the nicest grade I can afford at the time. I'm focusing more on post war than pre-war.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Rob Miller

Good luck with your collection!

Here is my HOF RC set so far:

http://imageevent.com/vanslykefan/po...0&m=24&w=0&p=0

And HOF RC Autos

http://imageevent.com/vanslykefan/au...0&m=24&w=0&p=0
Old 01-17-2016, 05:01 PM
Jason Albregts

Hell of a collection Rob.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Michael Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I'm working on a similar collection but a different approach. I'm more interested in the bigger name guys, so I've added Mantle, Mays, Clemente, Gehrig, etc. I don't think I'll ever add every HOFer, but have also added most of the recent players in PSA 10, Griffey, Maddux, Glavine, Larkin, etc. I am willing to go lower grade than you mention because I can't afford the big cards in high grade, although I try to get the nicest grade I can afford at the time. I'm focusing more on post war than pre-war.
Yes you have some nice cards. It really is best to start with the biggest hurdles. I do not have the funds for that right now but as this is a long term endeavor perhaps one day.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Michael Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
Good luck with your collection!

Here is my HOF RC set so far:

http://imageevent.com/vanslykefan/po...0&m=24&w=0&p=0

And HOF RC Autos

http://imageevent.com/vanslykefan/au...0&m=24&w=0&p=0
Very nice collection. I originally wanted to go SGC as I like their slabs the best for vintage but decided ultimately on PSA due to availability as well as a couple other factors.

May I ask how long have those two PC's taken you?
Old 01-18-2016, 12:25 PM
Rob Miller

Thanks Mike! I've been collecting the RC set since 2009, their counterpart autos probably since 2011 or so. It's taken a while to amass this much mainly because I'm picky when it comes to price. Also since I like to stay consistent with SGC as far as the non-autos, it might take a while to get all the modern SGC 98s that I need.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Mike

Any site with an up-to-date HOF Rookie card list ?
Old 01-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Michael Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Any site with an up-to-date HOF Rookie card list ?
I personally keep a spread sheet. It is separate worksheets within the spread labeled as Rookie Cards, RC Parallels, Extended Rookie Cards, XRC Parallels, and then Others which for now is a list of all the members that do not have cards in the aforementioned sections. Others will eventually be first appearance, high value rookie year cards, etc.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Larry

Quote:
I am slowly working on a PSA graded HOFer RC collection that consists of grades of 6+ for pre-war vintage(I know some I will not be able to afford or even find), 7+ for post-war vintage, and due to larger availability either 9 or 10 on modern just depending on the pop reports and how bloated the prices are. All cards in my PC will be in PSA slabs with the new security label. I am not opposed to considering old PSA slabs, SGC, BVG/BGS, even GAI in certain instances but keep in mind price wise that I will be crossing them over. I am willing to trade (once my wife and I settle into our new house in February) or purchase if priced right and as my funds permit of course. Let me know what you have within my needs and we can go from there.

To be submitted for reslab w/ new label:
1961 Topps #141 Billy Williams RC - PSA NM 7
1977 Topps #144 Bruce Sutter RC - PSA NM-MT 8
1982 Donruss #405 Cal Ripken RC - PSA MT 9
1982 Fleer #176 Cal Ripken RC - PSA MT 9
1982 Topps #21 Bob Bonner RC/Cal Ripken RC/Jeff Schneider RC - PSA MT 9
1983 Donruss #277 Ryne Sandberg RC - PSA MT 9
1985 Donruss #438 Kirby Puckett RC - PSA MT 9
1988 Fleer #539 Tom Glavine RC - PSA GEM-MT 10
1989 Score #645 Randy Johnson RC - PSA GEM-MT 10
1990 Fleer Update #87 Frank Thomas RC - PSA GEM-MT 10
1991 Upper Deck Final Edition #2F Pedro Martinez RC - PSA GEM-MT 10

To be submitted for crossover:
1964 Topps #541 Rookie Stars/Phil Roof/Phil Niekro RC - SGC NM-MT 8

Incoming:
1988 Score #638 Tom Glavine RC - PSA GEM-MT 10
1989 Bowman #266 John Smoltz RC - PSA GEM-MT 10
1989 Topps Traded #41T Ken Griffey Jr. RC - PSA GEM-MT 10
1990 Leaf #300 Frank Thomas RC - PSA GEM-MT 10

Thanks for the look,

The Cardboard Fan
I've found it more practical to take vintage rookies when I can get them, and focus on some of the HOF'er's rarest cards in some of the currently more quiet areas of collecting when I cannot. Example: good luck finding an 1893 Just So Tobacco Cy Young rookie in any grade, let alone a "six." Which is not to say that I don't have some really tough rare ones, such as the 1907 Dietsche Fielding Pose Cobb, the 1907 Wolverine News Portrait Cobb; 1939 V351 Ted Williams, and 1923-24 Exhibit Al Simmons, purely by way of example.

Best of luck in your quest,

Larry
Old 01-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Phil Garry

Mike:

Here is one of the more up-to-date lists out there:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...d+baseball+hof
Old 01-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Mike

Phil: I appreciate the list. Your a true hobby man. Sharing data is so unselfish. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:36 PM
Phil Garry

If you're not so intent on traditional cards, here is another list to consider:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...hall+of+famers
Old 01-18-2016, 09:45 PM
Kenny Cole

I guess I have somewhat of a countervailing point of view. I'm not a HOF rookie collector, per se, but I'm a HOF collector with a lot of rookie cards. I think its fair to say that I have at least one period card of almost every HOFer with a card. I think I'm missing Pete Hill (3 known to my knowledge), Willie Foster (maybe 1 single card), Al Spalding (1 card, have the currency), and Selee (1 card, damn you Paul ). If there is no card I'm pretty good on a period photo or something similar.

In any event, I would suggest that you move differently. There are about 10,000,000 cards of all the HOFers from the 1990s on. Every one. They are always available and you can always get them in high grade. That will be true 20 years from now. If you want to do the HOF rookie thing, I would suggest that you think about moving back a bit, and look at cards that aren't quite as easily available. Save your money, think about it, and pick an earlier card that meets your criteria. You can always circle back around and pick up the easy cards.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Michael Peters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I guess I have somewhat of a countervailing point of view. I'm not a HOF rookie collector, per se, but I'm a HOF collector with a lot of rookie cards. I think its fair to say that I have at least one period card of almost every HOFer with a card. I think I'm missing Pete Hill (3 known to my knowledge), Willie Foster (maybe 1 single card), Al Spalding (1 card, have the currency), and Selee (1 card, damn you Paul ). If there is no card I'm pretty good on a period photo or something similar.

In any event, I would suggest that you move differently. There are about 10,000,000 cards of all the HOFers from the 1990s on. Every one. They are always available and you can always get them in high grade. That will be true 20 years from now. If you want to do the HOF rookie thing, I would suggest that you think about moving back a bit, and look at cards that aren't quite as easily available. Save your money, think about it, and pick an earlier card that meets your criteria. You can always circle back around and pick up the easy cards.
The collection for now is really going to be post-war Beckett designated RC's after that I will probably get the RC's from 33 Goudey, 34 Goudey, 39 Play Ball, and 40 Play Ball and maybe the XRC's that exist as well. I have ambition to go after first appearance cards later for all the Old Timers, Negro Leaguers, etc. but that is a long ways down the road for me as I have a lot to accomplish prior.