NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-24-2016, 11:45 AM

Default Glass Slides Identification Assistance

Guys,

Thanks for your help on that first slide I had posted (1889 NY Giants Team by Joseph Hill). I had several others that I found with the lot and was wondering if you could help figure out who is in the photographs.

1. Looks to be 3 well dressed men on a baseball field. Possibly management/owners?

2. Looks to be a pre-1912 Boston Red Sox team photo (Huntington park) - any way to tell the year?

3. Unknown

4. Unknown

5. Unknown - H logo on shirt and says "Success" on flowers

6. Unknown

7. Unknown - appears to have an NY (Yankees?) logo on upper right of jersey

8. Unknown - colorized photo with the same NY logo

9. Unknown - obviously from the Phillies

10. Unknown - obviously from Boston

11. Unknown - New York

12. Team photo - sleeves have a dark diamond with an N on it and the shirts also have an N

13. Team photo - shirts look to have a C A on it with the A in the middle of the C

I appreciate any assistance you can give. I tried to take my own better photos by scanning it did not work since the scanner focused on the border and not the image and i cant figure out a good light source to take individual pics (suggestions?).

Last edited by Gldwebs; 03-24-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:56 PM

Default #7 and 8

#7 and 8 look to be Jeff Tesreau of the 1916 NY Giants.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:33 PM

Default #10

#10 is Spike Marena of the 1934 Boston Red Sox.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:39 PM

Default #9

#9 is Pretzel Pezzullo of the 1935 and 1936 Philadelphia Phillies.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:19 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
#9 is Pretzel Pezzullo of the 1935 and 1936 Philadelphia Phillies.
Agree. Pretzel Pezzullo circa 1935 in an image shot by George Burke. Looks to be a lesser-quality copy re-shot or reproduced from one of Burke's photos. Given the additional knuckles showing in your image, likely from an 8x10 which would have had a wider portion of the image showing than the postcard-size image I have shown here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GB0170_1 Pretzel Pezzullo (1935 Philadelphia Phillies).jpg (77.1 KB, 267 views)
Old 03-24-2016, 09:22 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
#10 is Spike Marena of the 1934 Boston Red Sox.
Ditto on Spike Merena, circa 1934 by George Burke:

(fwiw, 6 and 11 also have that "Burke look" to them, but I'm not certain at this point)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GB0955_1 Spike Merena (1934 Boston Red Sox).jpg (74.2 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 03-24-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:06 AM
Mark

Quote:
#7 and 8 look to be Jeff Tesreau of the 1916 NY Giants.
#7 and #8 do not have the same logo. #8 is 1916 Giants and could be Tesreau. #7 looks like Yankees and in any case is not Tesreau.

#2 is likely 1903 WS Pit-Bos at Boston. Larger/better scans would help here.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 03-25-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:41 AM

Here are a few much larger version of some of the photos (its not easy to get them photographed)

Last edited by Gldwebs; 03-25-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:53 AM

I think you are right that #2 is the 1903 Boston Red Sox World Series photo. I found this other picture on wikipedia and i can see many of the same people in the grandstands as in my photo:

Old 03-25-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
#7 and #8 do not have the same logo. #8 is 1916 Giants and could be Tesreau. #7 looks like Yankees and in any case is not Tesreau.

#2 is likely 1903 WS Pit-Bos at Boston. Larger/better scans would help here.
I now see that the logos are indeed different on #s 7 and 8.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:47 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gldwebs View Post
I think you are right that #2 is the 1903 Boston Red Sox World Series photo. I found this other picture on wikipedia and i can see many of the same people in the grandstands as in my photo:
For sure it is.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:13 AM

There is something about a few of these slides that does not seem right. I could be totally off here so bear with me as I am not holding them in person BUT a few observations from having seen and owned quite a few of these originals.

1. Magic lantern slides were really only popular for a short window of time (1900-1919 or so) and to have any company producing them by the mid-1930's would have been like a company still selling and manufacturing floppy disks today. Might be happening somewhere, but why?

2. Many of the images seem to be pasted on the glass (maybe just from the camera you are using and the angle) which defeats the entire point of a magic lantern slide as they were supposed to be transparent to be illuminated and blown up in a bigger size and projected.

3. No company would have produced a glass slide to be sold to the public with ornate gold borders and then had a photo made that was bigger than the borders.

I don't know, it just does not seem right. They could be totally legit, but my "be cautious of those things" meter is off the charts right now.

Are the slides actually see through or is there paper glued to any of them? If indeed they are transparent and legit it would be really weird. Cool images regardless!

Last edited by prewarsports; 03-29-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:59 AM
Shawn England

Rhys,

I was thinking along the same lines as you with regards to the slides... But now I am not as skeptical...

I did find this description for the following inside "Back of Beyond Books" Rare Book Catalogue #14 October 2014, that I think may shed some light...

62. Lantern Slides and Notes for a Program on Luther Burbank
Corwin, Elsie Powers
E.W. Goodrich, Tremont Temple. Boston, MA. Condition: Very Good.
Rare assemblage of hand-colored glass lantern slides for a lecture series on pioneering
horticulturalist Luther Burbank. They are estimated to be mid-1920s based on Corwin’s statements
that they are used “with permission of Burbank from photographs taken at the time the experiments
were made.” Slides are housed in a locking pebbled cloth case with attached key on ribbon and
were produced by E.W. Goodrich of Tremont Temple, Boston. The lecture notes are for 100 but 93
slides are present. Images include photos of Burbank and family, his home and farms, and many
many varieties of plant hybrids. Two brass memorabilia with Burbank’s image include a small pin
(New York: Medallic Art Co.) and a watch fob proclaiming him as “The Wizard of Horticulture,” an
“honor award for meritorious work in introducing Stark-Burbank Fruit Creations.” Burbank’s work
gave us spineless cactus, rainbow chard, apricot-plum crosses, the most widely-grown variety of
Russet potato in the U.S, and hundreds more varieties of food and ornamental flowers. Burbank
viewed his work as humanitarian and in harmony with nature, a perspective that bears interest
in the current ideological arguments regarding newer technologies used in manipulation of plant
genetic material.

Elsie Powers Corwin was a member of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society and is listed in
the Official Register and Directory of Women’s Clubs in America, Volume 15 under “Dramatic
Readers and Recitals” in the list of Official Classified List of Lecturers and Entertainers for the
Use of Program Committees. She lists her credentials as a “Bachelor of Literary Interpretation.”
A folded card accompanies the collection of slides as an advertisement for lectures, and is
labeled “Circular 1935.” Her programs besides “Luther Burbank, Plant Scientist,” included “The
Tournament of Roses,” “California Travelogues,” “Our State Flowers,” “Poems of the Flower World,”
“Shakespeare’s Garden,” and others. Included are three copies of the text that accompanies the
slide program; one is handwritten, the other two are typed carbon copies. Also present are two
drafts of a shorter two page essay by Corwin, “Luther Burbank - An Appreciation.” Written 19 years
after Burbank’s death in 1926, Corwin relates visiting him for the last time in October of 1925. The
handwritten slide transcript is signed on the last page and underneath notes “Property of Mr[s?]
Chas. B. Lewis” of Providence, RI. This is presumed either Dr. Charles B. Lewis, physician and
Director of Health and Physical Education in the Providence public schools, or his wife Mary.
Price: $ 3000
Old 03-29-2016, 09:30 AM
Shawn England

Here is a link below that pictures 5 Goodrich Lantern Slides of the Waban Library Center that was envisioned / designed in 1928 and completed by 1930. Apparently this Goodrich fellow hung around for awhile...

My take is that a lot of the Slides that Goodrich produced were for educational purposes - and as many of you probably know - Libraries, schools etc. from that time period did not update to the latest & greatest technology every two weeks like they do now. Projectors & such were used until they fell apart... My take...

http://guides.newtonfreelibrary.net/...39&sid=4096765
Old 04-01-2016, 12:49 PM

Thanks for all your help. A little more i found out from looking at slide 2. It is not just the Boston Americans - it is also the Pittsburgh Pirates. Second from the right is Honus Wagner.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:06 AM
Tim

Default Fred Clarke..........

Quote:
Here are a few much larger version of some of the photos (its not easy to get them photographed)

Looks to be HOFer Fred Clarke standing far left with hands on hips in your 1903 W.S. photo..............
Old 04-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Here is a link below that pictures 5 Goodrich Lantern Slides of the Waban Library Center that was envisioned / designed in 1928 and completed by 1930. Apparently this Goodrich fellow hung around for awhile...

My take is that a lot of the Slides that Goodrich produced were for educational purposes - and as many of you probably know - Libraries, schools etc. from that time period did not update to the latest & greatest technology every two weeks like they do now. Projectors & such were used until they fell apart... My take...

http://guides.newtonfreelibrary.net/...39&sid=4096765
I know for sure that Arlington Ma schools had a cabinet of the Keystone educational series until sometime after 1982. At the time it was in a room of the main offices. Hopefully someone saved it when they moved the offices. It's the only set I've seen in the big oak cabinet. When I asked the guy in charge of the media center he said it had been used occasionally into the 1960's

Like most "dead" formats lantern slides never completely went away. It's amazing what's still out there as marginally viable products. Someone just showed a prototype 8mm film camera system this year. And 3.5" floppy discs are still somewhat available.

steve B
Old 04-03-2016, 01:15 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I was waiting until I could pull out my magic lantern slides and scan them on my pro scanner. Magic lantern slides were made well into the 1930's. I suspect that some of them were used as PSA's (public service announcements) during movies as the first two are anti-smoking. These are from 1932 at the earliest as Bill Carr and Ben Eastman won their medals at the Olympics that year. The second two are from 1936. The one of Glenn Morris is a colorized version of a photo used when he won the Olympic Trials in decathlon while a member of the Denver Athletic Club. The one of divers Dick Degener and Marjorie Gestring would also be from that year as Gestring was about 3 months shy of her 14th birthday when she won a gold medal in diving in Berlin. The first two were produced by Albert F. Prieger of Tampa. The second two were produced by E.R. Deats of Philadelphia with the divers being done for the Philadelphia Inter-State Dairy Council
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eastman-magic-lanter00005.jpg (50.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg ray-magic-lantern00008.jpg (41.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg morris-magic-lantern00011.jpg (54.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg degener.jpg (46.5 KB, 70 views)

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-04-2016, 06:35 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

In the 1903 Red Sox/Pirates photo, I think the 11th player from the right is Cy Young.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 04-04-2016, 10:04 PM

So...I was originally listing the 1903 World Series slide on eBay but the more I keep researching it and seeing people comment on here about who is in there I think I need to take it somewhere better.

At first I thought it was just boston, but now I know its both. Honus Wagner and Cy Young are both pictured as well as several other HOF players. The photo was obviously taken just before the other group picture right at the end of the first world series ever - and from all my internet searches this image is no where to be seen.

I was offered to sell it at Heritage Auctions along with the 13 other slides I have. Does anyone have experience selling at Heritage? Can they handle this correctly or is there somewhere else I should take it?
Old 04-04-2016, 10:56 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
I was offered to sell it at Heritage Auctions along with the 13 other slides I have. Does anyone have experience selling at Heritage? Can they handle this correctly or is there somewhere else I should take it?
I've never consigned to any auction house, but I have bought quite a bit from Heritage, including coins, comics, baseball cards, movie posters and space (NASA/Apollo) memorabilia).

If you decide to consign any of your slides, Heritage would be an excellent choice for the auction house. They auction just about everything, including vintage photography, art and sports memorabilia. They have one of, if not the largest client list around, and I would think they have the expertise to handle your slides.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
Old 04-04-2016, 11:02 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Also, in addition to Honus Wagner, Fred Clarke and Cy Young, Jimmy Collins should also be in the 1903 World Series photo.

Edited to add:

After taking another look, I believe Jimmy Collins is standing 4th from the left in your photo. Fred Clarke, as mentioned in a previous post, is at the far left.

Steve

Current Wantlist:

Last edited by Steve D; 04-04-2016 at 11:07 PM.