NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-20-2010, 07:13 PM

Default jake daubert hof

A player that no one ever talks about for the hof is jake daubert. He was one of the greatest players of the deadball era batting .303 ,games 2001,putouts 19634, assists 1128,double plays 1199,hits 2326, total bases 3074 and sacrifice hits 392 those are hof numbers if i have ever seen them.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd10 View Post
A player that no one ever talks about for the hof is jake daubert. He was one of the greatest players of the deadball era batting .303 ,games 2001,putouts 19634, assists 1128,double plays 1199,hits 2326, total bases 3074 and sacrifice hits 392 those are hof numbers if i have ever seen them.
Actually they are not.

Greg
Old 12-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Chris Counts

"Hall of Fame numbers" are, like many things in life, in the eye of the beholder. In the eyes of many baseball fans, like myself, the numbers Jake Daubert posted are worthy of induction into Cooperstown, for the simple reason that he was better than some of the guys who are already inducted (starting with George "Highpockets" Kelly!). As far as I'm concerned, you could put another 100 players in the Hall of Fame and it would be a better place as a result. Other baseball fans believe there are too many players in the Hall of Fame and the standards need to be tightened so only the "best of the best" get in.

As far as I can tell, most of the Hall of Fame debaters here fall somewhere in between these two views. While I do enjoy the debate, I must admit I do get frustrated at times when people insist they know what "Hall of Fame numbers" look like. The simple truth is that numbers from a pitching-rich era (see 1906) and numbers from live-ball era (see 1930) can't be easily compared. Unfortunately, the Hall of Fame voters haven't bothered to study the differences between the eras. That is why Don Drysdale is in the Hall of Fame and Ron Santo isn't ...

As several board members have pointed out in previous Hall of Fame debate threads, Bill James' "Politics of Glory" is the definitive book on the subject ...
Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 PM

While I agree wholeheartedly with your point Chris that you can't compare players of different eras without putting their eras into context, it should be noted that Daubert was one of a bunch of very good first basemen from his era. Very good, but not great.
The argument that Daubert should be in because he's better than George Kelly is a very dangerous one, and it's an argument that Bill James absolutely hates. If we put in every player who is better than the worst player in the HOF, there would suddeny be hundreds of new Hall of Famers.

It is an absolute shame that Ron Santo is not in the Hall of Fame, and so sad that when he is finally inducted it will be posthumously.

Greg
Old 12-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I disagree when it comes to Daubert. He should be a HOFer without question. He was perhaps the best at his position and was regarded as such during his career. Also, the number one thing about Daubert that puts him over top and into the HOF for me is the fact that he stopped playing in 1924, not because his skills deteriorated (like in most players' careers) but because the dude DIED. He wasn't done yet and had it not been for seriously unfortunate complications from an appendectomy there is no doubt in my mind he is a HOFer (if he doesn't die)--However, I think he is a HOFer despite the fact that he died in 1924 and had a shorter career than he would have, but with a few more years of playing he is in (no question). Personally, I would rather see Daubert in the Hall than Ron Santo, but that is just my opinion.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 12-20-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:59 AM

daubert was one of the greats of the era and also what he did for the players of that time it was revolutionary and the start of the player union. I know everyone hates the player union today but back then they needed it.I think that's why he was not elected into the hof and that's sad for a player to do as well as he did in a era dominated by pitching.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 AM

well the hof inducted addie joss for what he might have done after his death. Im not saying addie joss wasnt great but he wasnt in baseball long enough for him to be in the hof but he's there.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:19 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by esd10 View Post
*snip* I know everyone hates the player union today...
And the Owners, for that matter.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:36 AM
T0NY @

Daubert should no doubt be in the HOF in my opinion.
Here's to you Big Jake. Cheers......

Old 12-21-2010, 06:43 AM

Let me begin by saying there are few things more fun than Hall of Fame arguments.

As for Jake Daubert's unfortunate early death -- he was 40 years old when he died -- his career was probably not going to last much longer.

Again, Jake Daubert was very good -- much like Stuffy McInnis and Ed Konetchy from his era, much like Mark Grace and Will Clark from a more recent era. He was not as good as Keith Hernandez. All those names I just mentioned are simply not Hall of Fame caliber (although I would argue that maybe Hernandez is).

Bill James, mentioned before as the definitive source on this, ranks Daubert as the 61st best first baseman of all time. Among those ahead of him -- Hernandez, Clark, Konetchy, Joe Judge, Boog Powell, Cecil Cooper, Wally Joyner, Gil Hodges, Ted Klu, Bill White, John Mayberry, Ron Fairly, Steve Garvey, Norm Cash, Dic Allen and Mickey Vernon. I'm not saying they are all better than Daubert, but some of them certainly are. All told James says 60 first basemen are better than Daubert.

If you're looking for someone who's career was actually ended in it's prime and who deserves HOF consideration, it would be Cecil Travis. A great hitting shortstop, underrated in part because he played for the woeful Senators -- his military service in WWII cut short what may have been a 3,000 hit career. In the 1941 season of Dimaggio's streak and Williams' triple crown, it was Travis who led the American League in hits. It's impossible to say what might have been, but shouldn't a player who had the credentials that Travis did be given a lot of credit for what he lost serving his nation as part of our Greatest Generation?

Greg

Last edited by sayhey24; 12-21-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I must agree that HOF arguments are a lot of fun...and frustrating all at the same time.
Let's face it, there are multiple camps on the subject:
1. Sheer numbers that the player puts up...this can work for or against (if the player sticks around too long to gain a magic number, it's points against him).
2. Dominant player at his position for an era
3. Numbers he put up in a shortened career (what he would have done).
4. He's better than player X already in the Hall.

I haven't seen too many people that veered from their opinion on what the HOF criteria should be...and maybe that's why the hof veterans committee has tinkered so much with how the voting process is and who votes. It's the only way that any of these more modern players would ever vote for older players (and for that matter, not many management hof'ers would vote for labor leaders like Marvin Miller, which is what the problem is right now).
At 50, I'm not going to be able to convince someone 35 and younger that there are certain players I watched in the late 60's or early-mid 70's that were dominate at their position and deserve to get in to the Hall. They would just look at the overall numbers or go to a Bill James reference to prove I'm wrong. The overall problem is that everyone buys in to the baseball myth that you can compare players from the past and present, but lets face it, the only thing the same is the distance between the mound and the plate, and the distance between the bases. Rules have been tweaked to raise/lower the mound, outlaw spit-balls, outlaw performance enhancing drugs, etc. You can't compare Hernandez to Daubert...heck, you can't compare any firstbaseman today with anyone in the 90's or early 2000's due to steroids. Players in the 60's and 70's were given "greenies" by the handsfull, and who knows what the olden-day players took.
Anyway, I don't believe it waters down the hall to put players in that were dominate at their position during any one era.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
i must agree that hof arguments are a lot of fun...and frustrating all at the same time.
Let's face it, there are multiple camps on the subject:
1. Sheer numbers that the player puts up...this can work for or against (if the player sticks around too long to gain a magic number, it's points against him).
2. Dominant player at his position for an era
3. Numbers he put up in a shortened career (what he would have done).
4. He's better than player x already in the hall.

I haven't seen too many people that veered from their opinion on what the hof criteria should be...and maybe that's why the hof veterans committee has tinkered so much with how the voting process is and who votes. It's the only way that any of these more modern players would ever vote for older players (and for that matter, not many management hof'ers would vote for labor leaders like marvin miller, which is what the problem is right now).
At 50, i'm not going to be able to convince someone 35 and younger that there are certain players i watched in the late 60's or early-mid 70's that were dominate at their position and deserve to get in to the hall. They would just look at the overall numbers or go to a bill james reference to prove i'm wrong. The overall problem is that everyone buys in to the baseball myth that you can compare players from the past and present, but lets face it, the only thing the same is the distance between the mound and the plate, and the distance between the bases. Rules have been tweaked to raise/lower the mound, outlaw spit-balls, outlaw performance enhancing drugs, etc. You can't compare hernandez to daubert...heck, you can't compare any firstbaseman today with anyone in the 90's or early 2000's due to steroids. Players in the 60's and 70's were given "greenies" by the handsfull, and who knows what the olden-day players took.
Anyway, i don't believe it waters down the hall to put players in that were dominate at their position during any one era.
Very good points Mike!
+1

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-21-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 AM

Mike you absolutely can compare players from different eras, you just can't do it in the simplistic way that many people would like to. You can't compare their numbers against each other, but you can compare them to how they ranked with the rest of the league in their own time.

What I mean by that is that still using Jake Daubert as our example, he was very similar to other very good first basemen of his era, but he wasn't head and shoulders above them. He was a very good hitter for average, but his RBI totals were abysmal for a first baseman of any era. In his time, he was pretty much the same that Mark Grace, Will Clark and Norm Cash were in their time -- a top notch first baseman. But my question is this -- are those three men that I mentioned Hall of Fame material? Because their careers are still fresh in our minds, we can go beyond the statistics to make a judgment on them. If they are HOFers, then absolutely so is Jake Daubert.

It's become pretty clear now that HOF standards are stricter than they once were. Gil Hodges, Dave Parker, Tony Oliva and Dale Murphy (to name just a few) were much more dominant hitters in their time than Daubert was, and they can't get into the Hall (with the exception of Hodges, they can't even get close).

By the way, Dale Murphy to me has always been a huge HOF mystery. Talk about your dominant players -- he was a superstar, with back to back MVPs ( I think), and lots of amazing statistics. On top of that, he might be the best role model of any player in recent memory, yet he gets virtually no consideration. I'm not saying he definitely deserves to be in, but why is he given the cold shoulder?

Greg
Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Mike Dugan

An easy comparison can be made with one of his peers, Frank Chance.

Daubert 2014 games played
Chance 1288 games played

Daubert .303 BA
Chance .288 BA

Daubert .988 Fielding Average
Chance .983 Fielding Average

Daubert 722 RBIs
Chance 596 RBIs

For most of his career Daubert played for a weaker team though the Dodgers and Reds had their deadball moments. Ah, what a poem can do for you!

In Chance's defense, he was considered by his peers, the press and the public as a real leader thus his nickname "The Peerless Leader." In Daubert's defense he played in Brooklyn a poor sister to the NL Giants and then Cincy on the western frontier so his press coverage may have lacked a bit compared to Chicago? Both were far superior players to either Tinker or Evers. Evers gets lots of credit for being a "hard competitor & brainy" but his numbers are weak.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 AM

You sure are right about the poem.

For Frank Chance, it was obviously in large part about intangibles (probably the biggest one being that darn poem). Leadership must have a played a big role, and certainly leadership should be one quality to be considered when deciding on a Hall of Famer.

The one comparison you didn't make between Chance and Daubert is how they were viewed by the baseball writers who voted on them just 13-15 years after Daubert's career ended.
These are the three years they appeared on the BBWAA ballot together:

Chance 24.4 %
Daubert 1.0 %

Chance 50.8 %
Daubert 0.4 %

Chance 57.7 %
Daubert 0.4 %

Greg
Old 12-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Sometimes I feel like Baseball writers should be the last people that should have a vote. I mean, how could 23 writers not put Willie Mays on their ballot...you gonna tell me that they all thought he wasn't a first ballot hall of famer)? How about Aaron...9 writers left him off the ballot. I'm honestly surprised that Steve Carlton didn't have to wait to get voted in by the veterans committee. This mystical first ballot hof'er vs a regular hof'er is a bunch of bunk in my book.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Well you cant compare steve carlton to walter johnson or greg maddux to christy mathewson you can speculate as much as you want but we dont know how they would have done in different era's. The reason daubert isnt in the hof when he was fresh in the minds of the voters is he headed the labor movement in baseball and they hated him for it.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 AM

I think that for the most part the writers have done an excellent job in electing players. It is the Veterans Committee that has muddied up the works. Almost every player you think does not belong in the Hall is a Veterans Committee pick.

I must agree that the notion of a first ballot Hall of Famer is silly. A player either is or is not a HOFer no matter when he is elected and no greater honor should be conferred to a first ballot HOFer.

That being said, I would like to see a system where a player is voted on once and that is all. Either he makes it or he doesn't. Of course, that would kill the candidate pool pretty quickly and you would end up having one big class and years of no inductions. So I know that plan will never see the light of day, but a 15 year voting period seems like too long. Sometimes it comes down to who is on the ballot that is the main determining factor on who is elected. A player should not be enshrined just because he is the best player on the ballot.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Rhett Yeakley

I don't think the Chance/Daubert comparison is a great one b/c I think Frank Chance gets quite a bit of HOF credit for his Managerial skills as well--so comparing their statistics isn't going to get you very far. Chance is a valid HOFer but not just based on his stats so there are other players that would probably be a more appropriate comparison.

I think it is interesting that if you do some research on Daubert he was VERY unpopular with the baseball "powers that be" because he was one of the first to try to unionize the players and was the head of the Baseball Players' Fraternity. Ultimately, the players & Daubert were unsuccessful in their efforts at that time but he was a trailblazer and as a result looked at as a troublemaker by the owners and by the writers to a large degree so the voting doesn't really surprise me. In a time when Marvin Miller is getting increased notoriety for his efforts, those that came before him should as well--and Daubert has HOF stats IMO to boot.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-21-2010, 11:54 AM

very well said.