NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:36 AM
aloondilana aloondilana is offline
Jo.hn Per.ez
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 88
Default Buying strong

I wish there was a "like button" for this thread.

Yep, when someone says they are paying strong is usually some reverse phsycology to make seller think this guy is gonna pay more than anyone else.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:37 AM
vintagerookies51's Avatar
vintagerookies51 vintagerookies51 is offline
Cole Hibbard
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 433
Default

I've always understood it to be used when someone is looking for a hard to find card and is willing to pay "strong" in a private sale rather than it going to auction. But yeah doesn't make much sense for cards that are readily available so I'm not sure
__________________
Now looking for 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson rookie cards (10/13). View my collection here... http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/hibba032

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-12-2017, 05:43 AM
KCRfan1 KCRfan1 is offline
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: OPKS
Posts: 1,211
Default

They are running a business, and looking for collections / desirable cards to obtain. Like ANY business, I would not expect them to buy at what they would sell an item for. They would soon be out of business.

Obviously they would like to be the first ones contacted if someone is selling.

Nit picking over terminology. Must be a slow day for everyone.......
__________________
Working on my 1973 set

Last edited by KCRfan1; 09-12-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:21 AM
iowadoc77 iowadoc77 is offline
Eric
Eric
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 944
Default

My version of paying strong is this- I am looking for several nearly impossible John McGraw T206 backs and I will overpay to get them due to rarity. This is the only context I understand this phrase. Paying strong for a readily available card doesn't mean much to me.
__________________
I NEED A T206 Eddie Plank- please PM to make a deal
Monster-509/522
T206 John McGraw backs all poses 40/45. Seeking-
Portrait with cap- AB 460, EPDG, Uzit
Finger In Air- Old Mill///Glove at Hip-Uzit
Any oddball from T206 Mcgraw poses- Red Cross, victory, etc
W600 McGraw
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:30 AM
Snapolit1's Avatar
Snapolit1 Snapolit1 is offline
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
My version of paying strong is this- I am looking for several nearly impossible John McGraw T206 backs and I will overpay to get them due to rarity. This is the only context I understand this phrase. Paying strong for a readily available card doesn't mean much to me.
That makes sense. I will pay strong for a Gehrig Rogers Peet of Gekrig kut out because I've never seen one.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:12 AM
mechanicalman's Avatar
mechanicalman mechanicalman is online now
Sam Sw@rtz
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 659
Default

I guess I don't understand the confusion here. My presumption is that if a collector is "paying strong" they are willing to pay above the VCP average, the idea being that they are trying to buy a card not currently for sale, and they need to compel a seller to part with a card.

I'm not sure if the reference to All Star Cards is a joke or not, but their buy price on a 41 PB Teddy is $550. If I found a centered example in the same grade, I'd probably pay double that. I'm not sure it makes sense to compare the dealers who are "paying strong" vs. the collectors doing so.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:23 AM
conor912's Avatar
conor912 conor912 is online now
C0nor D0na.hue
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I guess I don't understand the confusion here. My presumption is that if a collector is "paying strong" they are willing to pay above the VCP average, the idea being that they are trying to buy a card not currently for sale, and they need to compel a seller to part with a card.

I'm not sure if the reference to All Star Cards is a joke or not, but their buy price on a 41 PB Teddy is $550. If I found a centered example in the same grade, I'd probably pay double that. I'm not sure it makes sense to compare the dealers who are "paying strong" vs. the collectors doing so.
Ha. $550? For the right one, I would happily pay double that, maybe more.
__________________
Items for sale or trade here
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:58 PM
garymc's Avatar
garymc garymc is offline
Gary McNabb
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Towaco NJ, USA
Posts: 151
Default Paying strong

I believe that it means that you have strong desire to own the card and you will buy at fair price and will not try to negotiate a lower one . I have seen the term used for beaters when trying to complete sets. I may be wrong ???


Sharing my Yankee’s
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums
Share your Yankee’s
https://www.facebook.com/groups/554519474738304/
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:21 PM
bobbyw8469's Avatar
bobbyw8469 bobbyw8469 is offline
Robert Williams
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
I believe that it means that you have strong desire to own the card and you will buy at fair price and will not try to negotiate a lower one . I have seen the term used for beaters when trying to complete sets. I may be wrong ???


Sharing my Yankee’s
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums
Share your Yankee’s
https://www.facebook.com/groups/554519474738304/
The key word is 'fair price'.....fair to the buyer? or fair to the seller? I have had GREAT transactions on here. However, when someone reaches out to me looking a particular card, their expected "buy prices" are seldom fair - they are usually wanting them for less than Ebay.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Snapolit1's Avatar
Snapolit1 Snapolit1 is offline
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I guess I don't understand the confusion here. My presumption is that if a collector is "paying strong" they are willing to pay above the VCP average, the idea being that they are trying to buy a card not currently for sale, and they need to compel a seller to part with a card.

I'm not sure if the reference to All Star Cards is a joke or not, but their buy price on a 41 PB Teddy is $550. If I found a centered example in the same grade, I'd probably pay double that. I'm not sure it makes sense to compare the dealers who are "paying strong" vs. the collectors doing so.
VCP can only get you so far. If the last sale of a particular Ruth or Cobb card in that grade was $1000 in 2014, what's a fair price now?
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"strong for the grade" premium conor912 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 19 01-05-2013 08:35 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.


ebay GSB