NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Eric
Eric

Default OT: September 11, 2001... Where were you?

I will remember that day very clearly for the rest of my life. I was a senior dental student in a practice management seminar in Iowa City and someone came in and told the lecturer. He took off his glasses and was wiping away tears as he told us. The computer lab was swamped at break. We were dismissed early and I went home and 53/54 channels we had were showing coverage of the attacks. I just felt numb and in a daze that day. Hard to imagine that the images were real.
I am sure many or most of you remember as well. Any other stories to share?
Portrait with cap- AB 460, EPDG, Uzit
Finger In Air- Old Mill
Glove at Hip- EPDG
Old 09-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Brent
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default OT: September 11, 2001... Where were you?

I was a freshman in HS in my keyboarding class. All of the upper class students were basically in tears. My math class was later in the day and my teacher's wife was supposed to be on the first plane. Was very emotional in that classroom. Something I'll never forget.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 09-11-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:10 AM

I was in AP History. A teacher came in a said something to my teacher who then told us to go to the library. They had TVs set up. I'm from NY but had no connection to NYC despite being only about an hour and a half from it. It was weird being so close but also far away from everything.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Raymond Culpepper

I was off that morning...watching as the second plane hit...

My shift started at 4pm that day...large office with hundreds of folks in cubicles...very quite...we were all in shock.

Those moments changed many of our lives.

MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:14 AM

I was serving a two-year LDS mission in Denton, Texas.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Ben North

I owned a masonry construction company and was putting brick on the steps of a house. Weirdly we never had a radio on the job site, that day we did. It is one of the few days in life I know exactly what I was doing.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Steve Birmingham

I started at home, saw an email when I got up from a friend just saying "if you're not watching tv you should be" So I asked what channel and he replied "any of them" - First clue I had something big was happening. Eventually I went in to the bike shop figuring people would want a to gather and talk or stop somewhere for updates. Only had 3-4 customers all day. - The place is right on a bike path and especially at the time was a bit of a community hangout since we had picnic tables and ice cream and were totally ok with non-bicycle customers.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Andrew

I was in Washington, DC. Saw the smoke rising from the Pentagon. Never forget.

Last edited by Andrew1975; 09-12-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Kyle May

I just posted this in the other 9/11 thread.

I was in 1st grade at the time. My class had about 20 kids in it. By noon, there were only 10-13 from parents pulling their kids out; nobody knew what was going on, and the one plane was hijacked over Cleveland, which is 40ish minutes from the school. I left in the early afternoon for a doctor's appointment, and remember the entire ride there listening to the somber tone of the radio news host, followed by "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood. When I got home after the appointment and was able to see the destruction, I was confused. Being so young, I didn't understand. I grew up in a very Patriotic family and wanted nothing more than to help, even at the age of 7.

I wrote a letter to President Bush in the days following the attacks. I don't remember what I said, but his team responded with pictures and a generic letter. Pretty cool at the time (I still have it).

Every year, I watch YouTube videos and TV shows that recall the horrific events that unfolded that day. I shed tons of tears and always try to learn a new story.

I will Never Forget.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:03 AM
Х r

I was between classes in college. Walking to the parking garage with other classmates there were a couple of people outside a fox affiliate radio station booth for the St. Louis area. We walked by all the time and no one ever gathers outside the station, even if it is just one or two, so we thought someone may be doing an interview. We just off the cuff asked a gentleman what he was watching. He explained that a plane had just crashed into one of the twin towers in NY.

The station's TV's were viewable through the window and that was what was being watched. While watching and talking to the Gentleman trying to figure out what he knew about the crash the second plane came in and hit. Since we had just arrived we assumed they were replaying the original crash before it was obvious that it was the second. We stood there watching long enough to watch the towers fall. As time went on the crowd just grew larger. The gentleman we first talked to was at this point yelling "This is war, we are going to war now!"

Our school had to close for the day because an hour after getting back to the school a bomb threat was called into the school.

That evening I worked a shift at Wal-Mart and there were masses of people coming in to stock up on stuff as well as gas cap locks. Yet they weren't unruly or rude they seemed to want to just talk about the day and converse about what they knew.
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21

Last edited by bn2cardz; 09-11-2017 at 10:14 AM.