NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2006, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Default For all the PSA haters and GAI Lovers

Posted By: James Gallo

I recently bought one of the last 9 Cracker Jacks I needed on ebay. It was a GAI VG 3. Now I know that they are almost always over graded especially when crossing over to SGC.

The seller was AWESOME and when out of his way to overnight the card to me.

I get the card and in 10 seconds I realize that is has 2 yes TWO pin holes through it.

With the two holes SGC is going to hammer it and will be justified in doing so. It will likely end up in an SGC 20 holder.

I just want to point out the even though PSA makes some dumb mistakes and over grades cards, GAI is just as bad with the grading.

I can't imagine missing two pin holes and if they saw them how they could give a card with two holes a VG 3.

Here is the auction link below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110045408771&rd=1&rd=1

As I said the seller was totally awesome and I would not have any problems buying from him again.

As for GAI I will not do bisiness with them as this isn't the first time I have gotten killed by them.
I might buy a GAI card if I see it in person but that is about it.

I am interested to see what everyone has to say.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

I think everyone here is in agreement that GAI overgrades. Lots of SGC lovers and PSA lovers. Lots of love in general, you hippie degenerates! But I don't recall any GAI fanatics. I think people go to GAI for reasons of price, becasue they like the holder, because they're looking for a better grade when they go to resell.

--Chad

Old 10-31-2006, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

they all are the same, esp. in the lower grade stuff,and that should be expected. but, if you like high grade cards i'd trust any of them over a dealer.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Two things:

1. "the seller was awesome" - not so much - he didnt disclose the pinholes.

2. "it will likely get a 20" - not with two pinholes. IMO its a 10 at best. you may have had a chance at a 20 or even a 30 with one pinhole, but not two.

Ok, a third:

3. I agree that GAI does not grade cards with technical imperfections like paperloss on the reverse (and apparently pinholes) very well.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

I would think that there should be a separate thread on a different website for GAI lovers. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Old 10-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

can't even put them in the same sentence together...

i recently embarked on a little test...here is what happened...i bought a GAI 8 T206 common...looked SOOO sharp, i thought it could actually be a "9"...i decided to crack it out and send to PSA, well, it came back trmimmed, i then sent it to SGC, guess what, came back trimmed...then for fun, i sent it back to GAI...came back an "8"...so say what you will about PSA (and SGC for that matter)...they may mislabel things here and there (who wouldn't mislabel something every once in awhile, when you grade millions of cards, mistakes happen)...PSA & SGC are without a doubt # 1 & # 2 in the hobby. period.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

With former PSA graders doing the grading at GAI, does that mean the first 10-11 years of PSA slabs are overgraded?

Old 10-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

Do all grading standards need to be there same between companies? Should a PSA 8 equal a GAI 8 and an SGC 88? Every company has different things they place more emphasis on, my concern is that they are consistant within their own standards.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

I don't expect all the companies to be the same but certain things should be expected as main stream.

I would never expect a card with 2 pin holes would get a grade above a good. If it was a GAI 2, I would have expected it but to be 2 full or more grades higher then it should be in insane. I have given the card to SGC, so we will see. I may send it to PSA just for the hell of it to see what they would grade it at.

The pin holes are pretty well hidden and aren't large so you could miss them if you just looked at the card. Once you hold it up to the light you can see them without a problem.

I expected it to be over graded but this is a little much.

MVSNYC
That is interesting what you did and the results you got.

I could see some variance on paper loss especially on the back as that is something that even us collectors argue over as some aren't bothered by it as much as others.

However I don't think anyone would argue that a card with 2 pin holes is a fair to good at best with any of the big three companies.

I was SO excited to get a card I really needed in good shape only to be so devastated when I saw the pin holes.

Man what a crappie feeling that was.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.