NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-31-2014, 12:30 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Default Babe Ruth Connie Mack World Series 1931 Snapshot Help. Real?

I picked up this Babe Ruth & Connie Mack snapshot photo on a risk. I hope it's real. It appears to be real in my hand and smell too,lol It's 3.5 x 4.25 inches. Anyone know who the photographer is ? It looks like from the research I did it's from the 1931 World Series. Is it worth getting authenticated?

This photo below is not mine...it was posted on Baseball Fever, but wanted to post it to reference my photo.

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 05-31-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:42 PM

It looks like a match. I believe the player to the left is Bing Miller.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:18 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Thanks! I thought it kinda look like Bing Miller as well.

Still looking for help if this is real and who the photographer might be?

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 06-01-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Dan Bretta

You will probably never know the photographer unless you find a perfect match for your photo in a publication. This was likely taken prior to a game when there were probably a dozen photographers on the field. Just looking at the photo you show it appears to be a period photograph. Nice pick up.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 06-02-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
You will probably never know the photographer unless you find a perfect match for your photo in a publication. This was likely taken prior to a game when there were probably a dozen photographers on the field. Just looking at the photo you show it appears to be a period photograph. Nice pick up.
+1

I was hoping that the other photo that was posted on baseball-fever might give some clues as to the photographer (if it named the source, perhaps), but it looks like Bill has exceeded his Photobucket bandwidth and I can't figure out which one it was as all the posted photos are temporarily blanked out

Failing that, the quality makes me think it's more of a small print produced by a professional rather than your typical amateur snapshot. It would be reasonable to assume that an undated snapshot-type photo was produced soon after the event, but impossible to know for sure without any identifying date markings on the print. Also, unless you recognize the specific shot, it's pretty much impossible to know who the photographer was. Even if you find the photo in print, the photographer is often still not identified, or if the supplier is noted, it is often the issuing news agency that is noted rather than the actual photographer. Even knowing who took the similar shot posted above does not guarantee that the same photographer took yours, as your photographer could have been standing beside the other photographer (there were LOTS of cameras on the field for World Series games).

I wouldn't let any of that uncertainty scare you though, as it's still a beautiful photo of two HOFers in a candid, yet momentous occasion.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Barry Arnold

Default 1931

ole babe looks mighty cool with that hat and tie!!!
nice pickup.

all the best,
barry
Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
+1

I was hoping that the other photo that was posted on baseball-fever might give some clues as to the photographer (if it named the source, perhaps), but it looks like Bill has exceeded his Photobucket bandwidth and I can't figure out which one it was as all the posted photos are temporarily blanked out

Failing that, the quality makes me think it's more of a small print produced by a professional rather than your typical amateur snapshot. It would be reasonable to assume that an undated snapshot-type photo was produced soon after the event, but impossible to know for sure without any identifying date markings on the print. Also, unless you recognize the specific shot, it's pretty much impossible to know who the photographer was. Even if you find the photo in print, the photographer is often still not identified, or if the supplier is noted, it is often the issuing news agency that is noted rather than the actual photographer. Even knowing who took the similar shot posted above does not guarantee that the same photographer took yours, as your photographer could have been standing beside the other photographer (there were LOTS of cameras on the field for World Series games).

I wouldn't let any of that uncertainty scare you though, as it's still a beautiful photo of two HOFers in a candid, yet momentous occasion.
Thanks Lance! I contact Bill PM on Baseball Fever trying to see if he could look at the back and haven't heard back from him yet. I posted it on Baseball Fever to try to see if there was a tag on the back of his photo. Probably right, impossible to track down but after seeing Bill photo, it make me think if he had just move a step over and took another photo. Doubt I'll ever know, but it does make me wonder!
Old 06-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
Thanks Lance! I contact Bill PM on Baseball Fever trying to see if he could look at the back and haven't heard back from him yet. I posted it on Baseball Fever to try to see if there was a tag on the back of his photo. Probably right, impossible to track down but after seeing Bill photo, it make me think if he had just move a step over and took another photo. Doubt I'll ever know, but it does make me wonder!
I doubt bill knows. Look at the photos on there... You will see a ton of mine that he has simply copied from my sites/ collection and altered the colors.
Even if bill did know who took his, you could not say they took yours as there could have been more thst one photographer set up there. It is a great photo and agree with dan on your best chance of ever finding who took the image.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 06-03-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

It looks like a beautiful original 1931 photo. But if it had a WWP stamp on the back and a slug with no credit, it would be a reprint from the 1950's.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:32 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Looks original to me. I don't think there's a need to get it authenticated. It's doubtful you'll know the photographer, as there may have been 15 people taking photosfrom that vantage point, including perhaps non-professionals. It resembles an amatuer's snapshot, though obviously is a nice shot.

Last edited by drcy; 06-03-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:50 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

I've come to realize that I'll probably never know the true photographer. That reference photo gave me a hope,lol .I want to thank everyone for their feedback and advise, I really appreciate it and I always learn something!

I had several members show interest in this photo. I have decided to post this in the B/S/T for those interested.

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 06-03-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:29 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I don't think there's anything wrong about not knowing the photographer. It's a snapshot.