NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-20-2014, 04:11 AM

Default 1908 Broadside - torn, stained, holes, corners missing, beat to heck…but still got it

photo CalStanTrack_zpsa2176532.jpg

Picked up this Cal Stanford track meet broadside on eBay a week ago...got it today...Some of you may know I'm wild for broadsides...Good early ones are so rare I try to get them whenever I can...spotted this one and it had one bid sitting at $160.00...I had to wait patiently for about a week for it to close and it never moved right up to the end...Had a snipe bid loaded but was hoping to get it a little above the $160.00...wasn't to be...six seconds to go and it jumped to $165.00...and for a 10/th of a second I was all excited...I thought I got it for the $165.00...but nada...screen refreshed and took a significant jump...but still $70.00 or so under my snipe...

See the condition?...would really bother some but for the right broadside I'll take them in practically any condition...it doesn't bother me because their very nature subjects them to abuse...Matter fact I'd almost prefer them like this as opposed to mint...mint ones have to be examined closely to make sure they're real...one look at this puppy is all it takes and you know it's the real thing...Big ones...particularly ones on cardstock...are very rare because they were more subject to damage and discard much more so than something like a trade card that could easily be kept safe in an album...the bigger and older the more rare...

Another asset is it has the all important year...nothing's as nice to have on a broadside as the year...And the graphics are very good on this one...has a strong art nouveau style red border...But that's just the face value... if I only had the time and energy to look into the teams and events and winners!...to see who won what...

I'm always curious where something like this came from...where it's been....I mean it's been thru quite a journey to make it all the way to me...I lucked out and got a little of the scoop from the seller....

Subject: Re:1908 University of California vs. Stanford Track Poster
Sent Date: May-11-14 19:24:05 PDT
Hi, I see you're in Chicago..Can you give any of it's history? Where it came from? Auction? flea market? estate sale? family heirloom? thanks -Carlton

Subject: Re:1908 University of California vs. Stanford Track Poster
Sent Date: May-11-14 20:20:05 PDT
Carlton, I got it off ebay about a year ago. The person had listed it with a buy it now price that was pretty low and I was lucky enough to see it after it had only been listed for about an hour. The seller was like from Conneticut and it had been found in an attic in Conneticut which explains its condition. I will be sending it to you in the frame the seller had put it in. The glass part is plexiglass so it should protect it well and not break. I will be shipping it in a box with packing peanuts so it should be fine. Thanks

I have no intention of trying to restore it...it's so worn it is what it is...I think it will look real good once it's matted and framed up nice...

Old 05-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Barry Arnold

Default carlton

great pick up!
congratulations.
your excitement readily comes through your writing!
all the best,
barry
Old 05-20-2014, 09:59 AM
octavio ranzola

Pretty carlton hope the stang is good
Old 05-20-2014, 10:06 AM
J!m.b0n0v!ch

Nice!

I really like it because my other hobby is running! (Not track but long distance road/trail running.)
Old 05-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Chris Wood

Great item Carlton! Your collection of rare broadsides must be impressive. How many do they number now?
Old 05-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Rob

I like that it was held on a "cinder path" and not a track.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM
qualitycards

Carlton, nice pickup!
$1.00 admission in 1908 was pretty high in those days
Old 05-27-2014, 10:35 AM

Sweet Broadside!