NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2018, 09:48 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Default 1925 Gehrig

Heritage Lou Gehrig 1925 exhibit already up for sale on ebay. That's what I call not wasting any time.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:15 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Guy's certainly entitled to make 250% for his efforts.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Joshua

Just curious, doesnt people who would be interested in a item like this know what it just went for? At least be motivated by the price tag to see what value you get for the price you pay...
Old 03-04-2018, 10:34 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I agree. If someone is going to spend the value of a small car on a baseball card, I'd be hard pressed to imagine that they just log onto eBay one day as a goof and drop 20 or 25K. Like maybe they use this Internet thing to find a recent sale or two.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:12 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I used to own that card. I was not the Heritage consigner (i traded it about a year ago). I saw it on eBay yesterday, and while in all fairness it is at an OBO, I was equally annoyed. It's his card and he can ask whatever he wants, but I can't stand seeing a card put up on eBay at 250% markup from a recent sale. It's always driven me nuts, but I'm sure he will gladly take a 20% profit. He's just asking for a high base number.

Last edited by orly57; 03-04-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:49 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I used to own that card. I was not the Heritage consigner (i traded it about a year ago). I saw it on eBay yesterday, and while in all fairness it is at an OBO, I was equally annoyed. It's his card and he can ask whatever he wants, but I can't stand seeing a card put up on eBay at 250% markup from a recent sale. It's always driven me nuts, but I'm sure he will gladly take a 20% profit. He's just asking for a high base number.
I only care what a person wants for a card if i was interested in purchasing it. Prices may not change in a day but they can change a lot over a very short period of time. If card prices never changed a card would go for the same price forever

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-05-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I only care what a person wants for a card if i was interested in purchasing it. Prices may not change in a day but they can change a lot over a very short period of time. If card prices never changed a card would go for the same price forever
Jake- Can I use that quote? It is such a revelation I might not be able to help myself. Who would have thought?

Back to subject, crazy prices don't upset me. I have asked crazy prices too. Not that I sold any for that but I asked.

Last edited by Leon; 03-05-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:48 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Jake- Can I use that quote? It is such a revelation I might not be able to help myself. Who would have thought?

Back to subject, crazy prices don't upset me. I have asked crazy prices too. Not that I sold any for that but I asked.
Well you cant say i havent contributed anything to the forum...such insight.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:14 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I get that you only care about the price on a card that you want, but the collector in me hates seeing the card held for ransom by a flipper. Call me an idealist, but that's a special card that I prefer to see in the hands of a collector. That particular card is in rough shape, and for many folks is the only Gehrig rookie they are able to afford, so it bugs me that the price is jacked up. But like I wrote, the guy bought it and is entitled to ask whatever the heck he wants for it.

Last edited by orly57; 03-05-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:58 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
I get that you only care about the price on a card that you want, but the collector in me hates seeing the card held for ransom by a flipper. Call me an idealist, but that's a special card that I prefer to see in the hands of a collector. That particular card is in rough shape, and for many folks is the only Gehrig rookie they are able to afford. So it bugs me that the price is jacked up. But like I wrote, the guy bought it and is entitled to ask whatever the heck he wants for it.
To me this is quite simple. If a collector (whatever that really means) really wanted the card that bad, they should have bid more to win the card when it was at auction. For whatever reason they chose not to. Now if they want it, it's simply going to cost them more or they can wait for the next one to come along.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I've missed cards at auction. But whatever. Yeah. That's true. I actually said he is entitled to do whatever he wants with his card. Just because it's true it doesn't make it palatable. It's a business. I get it.

As for the definition of collector, I would say it's a person who doesn't buy cards with the sole purpose of flipping them. A person who buys cards for their enjoyment rather than immediate pecuniary gain is what I mean when I write "collector." Like a guy looking for a red backstamp Fonseca W554. But of course, you knew what I meant.

Last edited by orly57; 03-05-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

The real test is what he does with the money if he makes the sale. He wouldn't be the first collector to pick up a card he saw as an opportunity to flip for a quick profit so he could sink the profits into whatever he's serious about collecting.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:07 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

"Quick profit" being the key. He may just be putting up an absurdly high amount with a reasonable number in mind on a best offer. Who knows. It is what it is. It doesn't keep me up at night. Just a pet peeve.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:12 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
"Quick profit" being the key. He may just be putting up an absurdly high amount with a reasonable number in mind on a best offer. Who knows. It is what it is. It doesn't keep me up at night. Just a pet peeve.
Welll he may not really be selling it but just posts it on ebay just in case..sort of like those 'listening to offers' guys that never sell their cards...

eventually there will be a college to pay or medication etc....before the end of the year that card may change hands..
Old 03-06-2018, 07:47 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
To me this is quite simple. If a collector (whatever that really means) really wanted the card that bad, they should have bid more to win the card when it was at auction. For whatever reason they chose not to. Now if they want it, it's simply going to cost them more or they can wait for the next one to come along.

DJ
+1 I don't care how much a person asks for a card they just bought. It only bothers me if they bought that card form me after begging for a discount saying it was for their PC.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:42 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
+1 I don't care how much a person asks for a card they just bought. It only bothers me if they bought that card form me after begging for a discount saying it was for their PC.
100% agreed. Thats my pet peeve when someone talks you down, and gives you the salespitch to only sell it in the near future.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:00 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

You guys drop your prices if someone says they really want a card for their personal collection? You're nicer and/or more trusting than I.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
You guys drop your prices if someone says they really want a card for their personal collection? You're nicer and/or more trusting than I.
I have done it with several people before. Now the first time I see the card relisted with a huge mark up in price with in a few weeks of me selling it to them it is the last card they will ever buy from me. For me it is totally different if several months or more has past because we all change our collecting goals over time, I don't expert them to have to keep it forever.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:18 PM
Jay Cee

Ben, Would you have a different tune if they would have offered it to you first, before they sold elsewhere? I know on occassions where I have made it part of deal when selling or buying that we get the right of first refusual.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:27 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I would not. If I'm selling a card I have a number in mind I'm willing to take regardless of who's making the offer. If the buyer is someone I know or have done business with before it will be a factor. But I don't really care what they do with the card after they buy it.