NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Steven

Default Interesting pose on my Deitsche Detroit PC w/ Cobb

So I am sitting here looking at my cards while my kids nap and have really been digging my PCs. This is the 1909 Deitsche Detroit card, I believe that is Mr. Cobb sitting far left.

Then I notice the African-American child sitting next to him...corresponding with the book in 2015 showing that Cobb wasn't a racist. I could see the boy wanting to sit next to Cobb as he was the star, but I don't think he would have sat there if Cobb was a dick to him nor would have Cobb himself wanted to photographed with that boy next to him or even on the team for that matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1909 Dietsche Detroit.jpg (77.8 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg 1909 Dietsche Detroit - Copy.jpg (61.8 KB, 301 views)
Old 05-27-2017, 11:40 AM
pete ullman

nice pc steve! maybe cobb didn't know he was there!!!! just kidding! I'm of the school cobb was no more racist than anyone else from that era...and again...beautiful card!!!!
Old 05-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Dave_Berg

That's a nice observation!

" Well, I don't believe anyone is 100% a dick"- Rhomann Dey, Guardians of the Galaxy

Last edited by Stonepony; 05-27-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:48 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Also interesting how far away he's sitting from Crawford and how they each seem to be leaning away from one another.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Also interesting how far away he's sitting from Crawford and how they each seem to be leaning away from one another.
Come on guys. All dudes know what's up. Crawford has gas!
Old 05-27-2017, 03:47 PM
Mike

Group portrait of Detroit Tigers posed on field in front of mostly empty stands. Stamped on duplicate back: "Reproduced by Burke and Brace Photo, 2638 N. Drake Avenue, Chicago 47, Illinois." Handwritten on duplicate back: "1905 Detroit Tigers. Top row: Donovan, Disch, Lindsay, Doran, McIntyre, Eubanks, Mullin. 2nd row: Lowe, Drill, Killian, Crawford, Armour, Wiggs, Cobb, Barrett, O'Leary. Bottom: Kitson, Warner, Coughlin, Schaeffer [Schaefer]." 1905 (Ernie Harwell Sports Collection, Burton Historical Collection via the Detroit Public Library)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1905 ty cobb detroit team photo.jpg (76.1 KB, 226 views)
Old 05-27-2017, 04:09 PM
Peter F

Nice PC Steve! I always focused on how Wahoo Sam seems to not want to be so close to Ty. Not sure about Ty and the kid.

And Mike that is a great team photo with a rookie Cobb. Really wonderful to see a first yeat image of him in a real photo. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:06 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
nice pc steve! maybe cobb didn't know he was there!!!! just kidding! I'm of the school cobb was no more racist than anyone else from that era...and again...beautiful card!!!!
Same, and imo, it has been proven time and time again, most of the stories about Cobb were nothing more than a fabrication written by Stump, who, in all likely hood, wasn't any better than the person he was trying to portray.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...players-legacy

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...s-not-a-racist
http://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2015/0...arles-leerhsen
Old 05-28-2017, 06:55 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Group portrait of Detroit Tigers posed on field in front of mostly empty stands. Stamped on duplicate back: "Reproduced by Burke and Brace Photo, 2638 N. Drake Avenue, Chicago 47, Illinois." Handwritten on duplicate back: "1905 Detroit Tigers. Top row: Donovan, Disch, Lindsay, Doran, McIntyre, Eubanks, Mullin. 2nd row: Lowe, Drill, Killian, Crawford, Armour, Wiggs, Cobb, Barrett, O'Leary. Bottom: Kitson, Warner, Coughlin, Schaeffer [Schaefer]." 1905 (Ernie Harwell Sports Collection, Burton Historical Collection via the Detroit Public Library)
What a great picture, super early in Cobb's career. Did you have a date? Must be September and cool by the way they are dressed. Thanks for posting that.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:37 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post
Nice PC Steve! I always focused on how Wahoo Sam seems to not want to be so close to Ty. Not sure about Ty and the kid.

And Mike that is a great team photo with a rookie Cobb. Really wonderful to see a first yeat image of him in a real photo. Thanks for posting.
A fun fact about Cobb and Crawford: the two started as friends, but Crawford soon became jealous of Cobb's talent. The two came to hate each other. After Cobb's death, several letters were found from the Hall of Fame responding to Cobb's requests that Crawford be admitted.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:15 PM
Mike

Photo must be around Sept 1905 Cobb debut was Aug 30, 1905 and some of these players in the photo (Disch) played his last game with Detroit 10-3-1905.
This photo was within a few days or couple of weeks after joining the team. He looks so young.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:50 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Pretty sure the kid next to Cobb is "Rastus" (real name Ulysses Harrison) who was the team mascot/helper/luck charm which was a common practice back then. It's no coincidence that he would be next to Cobb, Cobb treated him better than anyone else on the team, making sure he was fed and had a place to sleep, and even sneaking him into segregated trains and hotels on road trips. Cobb also gave him a job in Augusta after the 1908 and 1909 seasons.