NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Patrick N.

Default Give a shout out...

To the Net54 member that most influenced the prewar cards you collect...I'm not sure I've been here long enough and I can't promise the way I will collect this way in the future but for now I really like the cards Tony 3-2 count posts (Eye appeal vs. technical grades) and have picked up a few from him this week. Again, this could change but presently who has been your biggest influence?....(Be specific about how your collecting changed in terms of players, set, condition, etc if you don't mind indulging me )

Last edited by mintacular; 04-25-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 PM

I would have to credit Leon for influencing my pre-war collecting habit.

After seeing his impressive type set over on the SGC Registry, I decided to start one of my own (though I'm just limiting myself to one particular team).
Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Johnny (mrvstr) - His passion for the fringe is addictive and his focus is admirable. His collection is hacked, off centre, upsidedown, misprinted and sometimes blank, but to me, a thing of beauty. For the most part I collect errors & backs, and I'd contribute a good part of that to him. He is a great person and a friend.

Erick and Jamie, both have helped put great cards in my collection.

Last edited by atx840; 04-26-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 PM

I'll give it to all the regular posters, as everyone adds interesting photos, topics and even new collectors bring up good topics with their questions. I'm a fan of variety and it takes a lot of people to add variety to this site.

Last edited by drc; 04-25-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 AM
Joe

Net54, so it has to be Leon. I wanted one old card, bought my first T206 and never bought a new card again. Thanks Leon for keeping the board going and for all the advise from every member here. I learn something new everyday. Although my collection pales to the amazing collections here, I love seeing members fill holes and posting cards I could only dream of owning. You guys are great. Thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 AM
Steven

First off would definitely be Leon for all work he's done and tolerating my "we need infinite pm's" rant. After that members Barry, btkpath, and Andy, AndyGo9, have been great to correspond with since Ive become a member. Barry has helped with all my crazy requests for analysis and Andy took care of some things for me when I needed some help. I also appreciate member Jared, scoutsout47, as he is one easy dude to work with with a great outlook on the hobby and dealings. There are a few members I have had correspondance with that helped when looking into new sets...too many to mention but all you guys were more than helpful including tony, e107collector, David, novakjr, Palph, hangman62 as well as a few others. Thens there Zach, zljones, and I just enjoy reading his off the wall posts that I always seem to come back to. Never corresponded with Dan McKee but I'd join his slab-busting army any day. Great guys who have helped me more than once. Enjoy your hobby!

Last edited by rainier2004; 04-26-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
First off would definitely be Leon for all work he's done and tolerating my "we need infinite pm's" rant. After that members Barry, btkpath, and Andy, AndyGo9, have been great to correspond with since Ive become a member. Barry has helped with all my crazy requests for analysis and Andy took care of some things for me when I needed some help. I also appreciate member Jared, scoutsout47, as he is one easy dude to work with with a great outlook on the hobby and dealings. There are a few members I have had correspondance with that helped when looking into new sets...too many to mention but all you guys were more than helpful including tony, e107collector, David, novakjr as well as a few others. Thens there Zach, zljones, and I just enjoy reading his off the wall posts that I always seem to come back to. Never corresponded with Dan McKee but I'd join his slab-busting army any day. Great guys who have me more than once. Enjoy your hobby!
LOL thanks Steven. I can be a little nutty at times, and sometimes I ramble like crazy when I type and get too enthused lol . I also enjoy your posts as well, I find myself nodding my head in agreement at a lot of the things you say. Cheers!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

I have been reading this forum for a while, then finally joined a year or so ago, and I'm young so I've always had a pull towards modern, then coming here, I can't stay away from vintage/pre-war.

Leon, huge help for keeping this going, but the one to help me influence/expand my collection would be Paul, T206collector. He has the BEST signed T206 in existence that I am aware of. I've been looking at his site for about 6 years in sheer amazement at what he's accumulated, and have briefly emailed in over the years. And his collection inspires mine to focus more so on the signed pre-war side. As I now have 4 signed T206's that I am absolutely ecstatic about, regardless of condition, in my collection all thanks to that man. Can't say thank you enough Paul.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Danny Smith

Shout out for two recent buys. Awesome guys to deal with...

Dwilliams and chiefbenderforever.

Thanks to both for some sweet mello mint hofers and great transactions.

Danny
Old 04-26-2012, 08:27 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Rand Bailey checks in here on occasion and did a lot to get me started as did Marco Rol in his old Southern Cards days.

If you want to go back to my very earliest days, and I don't know that either of them are still around, the Lambert Brothers from Ironton Ohio did a lot to get me to look beyond Topps as did Paul Pollard.

I would be remiss not to thank Teddy Z and Marc DelPercio for their help in my recent endeavors.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

For e-cards, Pete C and TBob - being an expert AND maintaining that youthful enthusiasm really inspires others to want to have the same sort of fun. Frank Ward, as well, for the same reasons - just tons of cool, weird e-card stuff on his website.

For photos, David R's thorough knowledge got me interested in all sorts of photographic nuances of collecting; also, Trevor, Jimmy L, and Barry Sloate for the super-old stuff - Barry's auctions probably turned me into a cabinet photo collector.

For tobacco cards, Lew Lipset because of his "Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards", which I spent hours reading through, and also his fun auctions of raw T-Cards.

For autographs and game-used stuff, I have to credit many here for turning me off of that stuff.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Going way back here...

Len Medieros (currently on another board) and Larry Tipton (OBC fame) started me on my Phillies quest. They turned a 17 year old kid onto true vintage cards and appreciating the players and cards and not the $$.

Soon after Gar Miller, Lew Lipset, Jim Montgomery, and Lionel Carter helped me with putting together my Phillies wantlist and selling/trading me some very affordable vintage.

You can blame Geno W. (of t202 fame) for getting me really started on t205s.

Leon helped immensely when I first started posting to the board, along with Bill C.

Lately, my influences have been my friends Peter I., Mark M., Mac, Geno, Paul Markoe, Andrew W. Mark D.etc. who keep me going and always helping out when I need it.

And a big thanks to the board in general as well for all the posts that seem to catch my eye.

Joshua
Old 04-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Rob Miller

I would say #1 Leon and anyone involved in the creation and upkeep of Net54. Without this site I would either not be collecting, or have much less of a clue about the hobby overall then I do now. I have also made many hobby friends via Net54.

The guys who share their vast knowledge of T206 on this forum - Mike R, John, Tim, Ted Z, Scot R, etc...

Brian Parker for sharing his knowledge of the E91 series; definitely led me to collect it.

All my dealings on the BST buying or selling have been nothing but a great experience, so everyone I ever dealt with there deserves a shout out.

And last but not least Brucii because I never knew how bad of a person Archive was before I read his wacky posts.