NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default When your full name is needed in a post on this forum.

We get approximately 60 new users every month and since I have sent several PMs in the last few days concerning users putting their full name next to their posts, I feel it's appropriate to address the subject again. Just like it says at the top of every page, in bold letters -
If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post
That is the hard and fast rule. That said, the real litmus test is if I would want to know who said whatever it is they said, when the comment is in my direction. And I personally want to know in almost every instance so the threshold for your full name is low. That means any kind of comment concerning authenticity should have your full name next to it. Any comment that could be construed as controversial needs a name next to it. Any arguing, bickering, intense debating etc...you get the idea, has to have a full name next to it. I hope this doesn't sound too Draconian but I would rather be transparent as to what is expected than have folks not know. Almost no other public forum I am aware of has this tight of a name rule. (Your welcome.) Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Leon; 03-01-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:27 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

There is some new laws coming up,
Its where the moderators has to approve each and every post, making them responsible for all content posted.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/0...unities?page=1
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice

Last edited by Leon; 03-01-2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: link problem
Old 03-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Altered.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:44 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

You can live your whole Net54 experience without ever having to include your name, if you aren't the type who blasts auction houses, accuses board members of fraud and gets into heated arguments on controversial topics.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:47 PM
David M.

Yeah, just don't have an opinion, and you're good.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 03-02-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
You can live your whole Net54 experience without ever having to include your name, if you aren't the type who blasts auction houses, accuses board members of fraud and gets into heated arguments on controversial topics.
+1
Old 03-01-2018, 04:54 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Just wondering if and when you included your name in a post has caused an issue.. Why would it, my name has been out there for years on multiple sites on the internet.. Am I naive or is there a reason for concern??
Old 03-01-2018, 05:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Where it has to do with sex trafficking it looks like they are wanting to crack down. I can applaud that. From my very brief, layperson read, I didn't see anything that is going to make me liable for what you say on this board. Section 230 is what forums depend on. I guess if that law was totally repealed (and that doesn't seem to be being suggested) then that could be an issue. I think we are fine.

[QUOTE=pawpawdiv9;1753054]There is some new laws coming up,
Its where the moderators has to approve each and every post, making them responsible for all content posted.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:57 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Wha'???

There is new laws? Moderators has to approve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
There is some new laws coming up,

Old 03-01-2018, 06:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
There is new laws? Moderators has to approve?
Only on sex trafficking sites. We traffic old cardboard with mostly dead ball players pictured on it.

Last edited by Leon; 03-01-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:20 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Just don't post in a thread that's 12 pages long. I usually avoid even reading them.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think Tim was bemoaning the grammar.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Your right.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Your right.
Definately.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:20 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Definately.
Ha! I seen what you did their.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I saw that but was taking the high road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg williams.jpg (78.9 KB, 321 views)

Last edited by Leon; 03-01-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:27 AM

If my opinion is whatever my wife tells me it is ... do I have to use my name or hers?
Old 03-02-2018, 10:43 AM
Steve Birmingham

The bicycle group I'm on is more international, And requires full name and rough location on ALL posts. Not much specific, but city, state country for US members, usually just city and country for those outside the US. And us US members can't abbreviate the state.
The only exception I know of was an Australian who used a partial last name because he'd overstayed his visa by a few years. When he moved back home, he fessed up and started using his whole name. As far as I know nobody had a problem with it.
That group is about the most civil one I've ever seen.

Leons rules are pretty easy.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:39 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The bicycle group I'm on is more international...
The only exception I know of was an Australian who used a partial last name because he'd overstayed his visa by a few years...
A few YEARS?!?!?

So basically, If you're in a country illegally or doing something illegal, then it's OK to use a false or incomplete name. But if you are a law abiding citizen of a country, you must post your full, legal name.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:29 PM
Al Richter

I have had my name in my posts for awhile now. Would not have had a problem with it from day one, but Leon required it moons ago when I posted in post war that I thought Don Fluckinger (sp ?) was not capable of filling Bob Lemke's editor role at SCD. I think he even deleted my post. . People who knew me kept contacting me wanting to know what I had said to get deleted.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 03-02-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:38 PM

Default MissIn the link....

Is this board diversifying to include sex trafficking?
Old 03-02-2018, 02:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I have had my name in my posts for awhile now. Would not have had a problem with it from day one, but Leon required it moons ago when I posted in post war that I thought Don Fluckinger (sp ?) was not capable of filling Bob Lemke's editor role at SCD. I think he even deleted my post. . People who knew me kept contacting me wanting to know what I had said to get deleted.
The ONLY reason it would have been deleted is that you didn't abide by the rules (*your name). Had you done that it would still be there.

Toby - No diversifying into that area.

Last edited by Leon; 03-02-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
A few YEARS?!?!?

So basically, If you're in a country illegally or doing something illegal, then it's OK to use a false or incomplete name. But if you are a law abiding citizen of a country, you must post your full, legal name.
Technically I suppose.

He wasn't doing anything illegal besides staying. We didn't get into the why, but he was a student (Legitimately, not a "student" who drives a cab full time or something- if I remember it right he was in a graduate program. ) Then employed. We didn't know until he moved home and admitted it. He was and while I've become less active, I believe still is a member who contributes more than most.

The group overall is a lot like this one, a good deal less contentious, and we're usually all on a 2-3 post a day limit to keep the traffic level manageable.

Other rules there -Ah heck, there aren't many, I'll just post em all!
Welcome to the Classic Rendezvous community!
This group should be viewed as "a gathering of friends who have been invited into the list owner's garage to talk about vintage lightweight bikes."

1. Sign off all messages with your first and last name, plus your city, state, and country. No abbreviations. New members are encouraged to provide a short profile of themselves.

2. Please stay within the time line (up to & including 1983 but not after) or to "Keeper of the Flame" items, i.e., contemporary, made by tradition methods, small workshop bikes or components.

3. "For Sale" postings should be for pre-1983 or be distinctly "Keeper of the Flame". Items may be only be posted one time and items should be accurately described with a set price and attached photos or photo links.

4. Do NOT use the CR group to maximize the selling prices or as a tool to establish "value. "What is my/your/this item worth?" is an inappropriate topic. For this, search online auctions such as eBay.

5. Please make every post substantive in which every message contributes to the communal knowledge base. 3 messages maximum per day/per member.

6. Please do not send "Attaboy," "Me too", or jokes. These posts waste bandwidth and jokes are too often misunderstood and create strife.

7. Civility is #1 in importance! No obscene (as the list owner views it), scatological, rude, off-color, vulgar, ugly, demeaning, or insulting language. Use thereof will result in instant removal!

8. Commercial messages are OK IF they are specifically On Topic and are not repetitive.

9. Our focus is the early 1900s to 1983, and "KOF" or "Keepers Of the Flame". Off Topic are modern welded, injection molded, or glued bicycles, mountain bike, "middle weight", BMX, recumbent, and balloon-tired bikes. Also Off Topic are components that are post-1983 or are harbingers of a new, aesthetically "modern" era (like cycle computers, clipless pedals, index shifting, etc.)

The list owner is actually somewhat flexible, if you're contributing to an interesting thread, 4-5 posts will probably slide.
And if you ask first, stuff that's borderline off-topic (Nearly my entire collection) can be ok on occasion. At least he's pre-approved every one of my posts that were borderline off-topic.

By the way, if anyone is super interested in racing or serious touring bikes made before 1983.. It's THE place, just like this is THE place for old baseball cards
Old 03-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The ONLY reason it would have been deleted is that you didn't abide by the rules (*your name). Had you done that it would still be there.

Toby - No diversifying into that area.
Both are here now
Old 03-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Both are here now
Yes sir. And I appreciate it. All I ask is that names are by posts. You can say pretty much anything you want to, even that so and so is not going to be able to replace so and so. BTW, Lemke (RIP) wasn't replaceable by anyone, imo. He was a huge asset to our hobby and is sorely missed.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:17 PM
Al Richter

+1 on that
Old 03-02-2018, 04:51 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post

I'm of the believe that it is just good manners to allow people with whom you converse to know your name...my full name has been on every one of my many posts.

I try to always be polite and respectful...I was raised that way.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente