NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-10-2016, 04:05 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
unfortunately the league is looking for that to go the other way...

no hitter is a whole different animal than a perfect game...in a no hitter you can pitch around the 8th hitter with 2 outs to get to the pitcher.
Very few 8 hole hitters are pitched around. You almost universally go aggressive at the 8 hitter. O-1 outs you want the three/four holes batting early next inning so few people are on base. 2 outs or runner on, you want the pitcher leading off.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:16 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Very few 8 hole hitters are pitched around. You almost universally go aggressive at the 8 hitter. O-1 outs you want the three/four holes batting early next inning so few people are on base. 2 outs or runner on, you want the pitcher leading off.
yet the pitcher makes the third out a ton...no way you allow a real hitter drive in a runner on 2nd with 2 out in a tied game when you can get an almost free out with the pitcher...8th hitters are intentionally walked sometimes..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 05-10-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:15 AM

I don't really understand what you're saying. Pitchers hit 8th, you can pinch hit for a pitcher, you can double switch, and the pitcher is never an automatic out unless he doesn't swing the bat. The NL experiences more no hitters because it has worse hitters. That's why when an NL pitcher goes to the American League, people are wary about how good they will be. It's not because they have to face one extra guy in the line up. Most of the line up is better.

Last edited by packs; 05-11-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:34 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't really understand what you're saying. Pitchers hit 8th, you can pinch hit for a pitcher, you can double switch, and the pitcher is never an automatic out unless he doesn't swing the bat. The NL experiences more no hitters because it has worse hitters. That's why when an NL pitcher goes to the American League, people are wary about how good they will be. It's not because they have to face one extra guy in the line up. Most of the line up is better.
who pinch hits for a pitcher in the 2nd and 4th inning......a pitcher hitting .100 is pretty much an automatic out compared to a DH.... ..not sure why 'most of the lineup' is better in the AL.... Pujols and many AL stars was in the NL before..and theres interleague......there are guys like Lester than go 1-40 etc....good luck finding a DH that can do that and still be in the lineup..you dont have to hit even terribly if you are pitcher....you can go 0-300 (Lester almost ) and still make millions as a pitcher...you cant do that has a DH..

yes everyone that has a bat can be dangerous...but still getting on base at a .170 clip is less dangerous than a .290 clip etc...if you face a 9 pitcher lineup (take the average of all pitchers that hit) ..you are going to get a no hitter faster than facing a 9 DHs. (take the average) no i dont have statistics but will make that big leap....

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 05-11-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:45 AM

Someone already posted the averages of DH hitters around the league. They were not very high. The line ups are clearly better in the American League. Again, I will use the example of the free agent NL powerhouse pitcher who AL teams are reluctant to sign because they aren't sure how good they will be. That's because the AL is a stronger hitting league and it's not because of one additional guy.

Last edited by packs; 05-11-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:02 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Someone already posted the averages of DH hitters around the league. They were not very high. The line ups are clearly better in the American League. Again, I will use the example of the free agent NL powerhouse pitcher who AL teams are reluctant to sign because they aren't sure how good they will be. That's because the AL is a stronger hitting league and it's not because of one additional guy.
Like what example......but the one additional guy probably gets 80 more rbis and 20 more homers than the guy guy in the NL...... where every out is tough for a no hitter , one additional guy is huge.....we arent talking seasons here...we are talking about those one or two of the best starts of a season for a pitcher on a particular night...getting to face a pitcher 2 times at least......plus as long as the NL pitcher goes to the AL and does better than 90% of AL pitchers that are there thats all teams are looking for..i think you are referring to fantasty baseball statistics...i dont care if i am paying a guy 'ace' money and his era is 6.7 as long as the league average is 8.0...for example...

so Kershaw would suck in the NL i guess.....plus its very common guys in the NL that have gotten no-nos like Heston....if the hitting is so weak in the NL...then again, that would support my argument that NL no hitters dont compare to AL no hitters ...so i guess you are supporting my argument in another way....

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 05-11-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:04 AM

What other answer do you expect? The AL is a superior hitting league in general. It's not the DH that makes the difference. The entire team is better in the box because the AL game is geared towards high scoring games whereas the NL game is geared toward small ball. It's not just the pitcher who bunts in the NL. Everyone is counted on for a bunt. Hardly anyone bunts in the AL. It's a different game but it's not one guy who makes the difference.

Last edited by packs; 05-11-2016 at 08:05 AM.