NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Posted By: MVSNYC

hi guys, this is my first post on this side of the fence...i'm starting to get into game-used bats. i bought a 2007 A-Rod (PSA/DNA 7) and Tony Gwynn's Hit #2800 bat (PSA/DNA 9)...

before i go crazy buying bats...i have an important question:

why are some bats graded numerically by PSA/DNA and others just authenticated (complete with photos, research, analysis, etc...)?

i am considering purchasing a Jeter bat, looks great, excellent game use, and even the LOA from John Taube says it has "evidence of excellent use" and definitely was used by Jeter during that labeling period...

so, should i be comfortable buying such a bat vs. one that has been numerically graded?

can anyone shed some light on this please?

thanks!
MS

Old 05-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Posted By: Mark

Hi
I'm sure that others can speak with more authority about this, but I have bought a few bats that were accompanied with the PSA/DNA letter of authenticity that does not mention any specific grades. That sort of letter will usually offer to provide a "full authentication upgrade" for an additional fee. Since the letter that you have seen puts the bat in Jeter's hands, I would expect that it would get a fairly high grade were it to get the full treatment from PSA/DNA. As for myself, I would probably be comfortable with a bat accompanied by such a letter, providing that the bat looked good to me. You might want to go to the Game Used Universe forum and ask the experts there about Jeter's (or any other player's) specs prior to making a big purchase. Anyway, you are undertaking what I have found to be a wonderful,risky, expensive, and addictive little hobby. Congratulations. Mark

Old 05-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Mark- very insightful...thanks a lot!

i do actually feel pretty comfortable with this bat & letter from PSA/DNA (John Taube)...it was just a little confusing to me, since the letter used such "praise-worthy" vocabulary...but, i think you made a good point, if you pay more, then they'll do a more thorough report (and give it a number grade)...

if others have additional input/opinions, would love to hear as well, thanks...

Old 05-27-2008, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Buy with confidence, if you have a PSA Letter from Taube. The reason some bats are graded is that the seller/consignor feels they will fetch a higher price by having the numerical grade.

It is very similar to autographed baseballs.... PSA will do a perfectly good LOA without a number grade, or they can do a more expensive LOA which assigns the numerical grade.

In many cases, the non-numerical Authenticated Bats can be nicer than those which are numerically graded. The previous owner may simply not have felt the need to go for a number grade, or they did not want to pay PSA the extra charge for assigning the number grade. Either way, it is not a negative. Hope this helps...

Old 05-27-2008, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

both Marks- thanks so much, this is great info/news...i'll keep you posted, and will let you know if i get the bat.

best-
MS

Old 05-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

i pulled the trigger...i'm getting the bat tomorrow, then i'll take pics for you guys. i think i got it for a good price ($1485)

thanks for your help, i feel comfortable with the PSA/DNA LOA.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Nice Job! Can't go wrong with a Derek Jeter Bat.... a sure first-ballot HOFer who's universally respected. In comparison to cards and other collectibles, I am often surprised these game-used bats don't go for more money.

There is nothing quite like holding a bat that was formerly in the hands of a great player. I cannot imagine a better collectible. The PSA authorization makes it a great investment as well. There will soon be a day when Jeter's Bats won't be as plentiful, and collector's will be reluctant to part with theirs.

Congrats, and please post the pictures when you can!

Old 05-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Posted By: brock

I just bought my first A-rod gamer last week. Its from his texas days but when i get it in the mail ill post some photos also.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Great news on the Jeter bat. I think it would be terrific if people posted more bat pictures on the site. It would be good to see both modern and vintage bats, too. And now that I've finally figured out how to post photos from Adobephoto, I will try to post a bat or two when appropriate.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

as per your request...here are some bat pics (my first 2)

2007 A-Rod bat...Gwynn Hit #2800 Bat

p.s. feel free to make this the offical Bat Pic Thread...

Old 05-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Posted By: Mark L

Excellent. I will add an older model that I thought of posting last week on the card side when Adam Warshaw gave us a link to all those great O'Doul cards.

x

Old 05-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Good idea, Mark...

I will post some photos soon (both modern and vintage). My Bat collection spans about 150 years... from the earliest Town Ball Bat to the most high-tech Maple Sam and Marucci Bats.

Here is my earliest Louisville Slugger. They used a cool Horseshoe logo and the knob is like a Nilla Wafer!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Here are a few modern ones... All Rookie-era Bats...

* Tony Perez
* A-Rod (rare early high gloss rose colored LS)
* Josh Beckett

Now that Beckett is in the AL (with the DH), I felt fortunate to pick up his Rookie Bat. Beckett Bats will become scarce. I usually don't collect Pitchers' Bats, but this one is sweet!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Here is my number 1 bat. in till my A-rod comes in. Its a Robinson Cano game used bat from the 2007 season. Shows great use. Best thing about it is you can tell where Cano put his thumb while putting the pine tar on. Sorry for the big photos.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Posted By: DJ

While I am not a baseball bat collector, I am intrugued and enjoy the scans. I frequent www.gameuseduniverse.com ever so often and am fascinated by the education over there. It also fascinates me that in their last auction, 1930's Hall Of Famers in GU form sold for only a little more than the current stars of today. Blows my mind. You would think Bottomley would be fifty times the price of Manny Ramirez, but that wasn't the case.

DJ

Old 05-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Posted By: Mark L

DJ
I agree. The pre-war bats are rare by almost any measure but are often not too expensive. I think that one thing that keeps down the price of some older bats is that it is easier to determine whether a newer bat has been used by a given player (via photos, complete bat orders, well known personal characteristics) than it is for a vintage bat. On the other hand, vintage collectors have side writing to give at least some of their bats the desired provenance.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

awesome bats guys!

i think mark hit the nail right on the head...it is very tuff (from what i have heard) to place a vintage bat in the hands of the player 100%...provenance and first-hand stories are so important with vintage bats...it is much easier to link a modern bat to the exact player and year, because of various elements that Mark mentioned above. therefore buyers bid higher and with more confidence with newer bats, for the most part.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Just got my A-rod gamer in, it shows good use.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Awesome usage on that one, Brock... Is it graded (assuming it has a letter from PSA or Mears?) I would think it would have to grade at least 9 or 10 with that amount of use! Thanks for posting it.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

Mark
It ain't graded but i think i'll send it out someday. The only problem with it was some paint was cipping and someone went over the spots with a black marker so i hope that dont hurt the grade when i do send it out.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Default Game-Used Bats

great game-use Brock...

i just got my A-Rod gamer the other day as well...it is pictured at the top of this thread, it's great!