NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-06-2014, 10:54 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Default Theoretical interest question about online hobby courses

I'm starting a new artifacts research center in Seattle for the study of such stuff, and I was curious about what kind of interest there would be for online courses. The courses could cover various topics, short or long, including photo authentication, old card authentication, etc. There would be a cost, but I'd keep it at on the reasonable side. Students could either take it for fun, or, if they wish, earn a certificate of complete for their resumes or whatever.

One of the problems with online courses in the past is the instructors and students are far away from each other and not looking at the same material at the same time. But I discovered an inexpensive digital microscope that makes this much less of a problem, as images can easily be taken, posted and email and two people can be looking at the same thing.

I'm just curious about the potential interest, before I look into it more closely.

Cheers

Last edited by drcy; 09-06-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:58 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I think it depends on how you want to package or structure it. How interactive would you want it to be? Would you partner with a college? I think the desire for the type of information you would provide is high, I'm just curious how to disseminate it most effectively.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:03 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I'm specifically inquiring about how many people here would be interested. I'm not asking about a theoretical wider audience. The courses would be available to all, including people who had never even heard of this board, but the post was specifically about people here.

If someone posts "Yes, I'm interested" I won't hold that as a commitment. I'm just gaging interest.

Set up and general dissemination are important questions. I've contributed lectures for an online university and even once took an online course, so am familiar technical setup and know how the courses were run and structured.

Last edited by drcy; 09-06-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:42 AM
J@son M1ller

yes, I'm interested.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Ron V

I would be interested for sure!
Old 09-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Dan Brown

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but isn't that what this forum is about? Members learning and sharing knowledge together. I really don't want to rain on your parade, and perhaps i am not understanding your intent. I am interested in learning!!
Dan
Old 09-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Bruce Esser

I would be interested in a structured way to learn more about the hobby. Sections on printing processes of the late 1800's and how they were used for cards, printing processes and evolution before WW1. Extend to between the war printing and current card printing processes.

This could segue into a section on determining fakes and forgeries. The use of a black light, the use of a microscope.

Obviously I am just scratching the surface. This board is a great source of information but the information is aleatoric in nature. Having a guide (course/teacher) would be worth it.

I spent a year putting together a course on iTunes U using iBook author. It takes a lot of time to put together text, photos, sound bites and videos into a coherent whole. By the end of the year I felt like I was somewhat competent in the whole e-pub world. Redoing the book, lab manual, problem sets, ancillary material for a Kindle was a real pain.

Good luck with your adventure.

http://www.nebaseballhistory.com/
Old 09-06-2014, 03:27 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Dan,
You are correct about the board's function with regard to dissemination of knowledge. The problem is the information is presented all over the place as items appear as example, rather than in a step wise organized approach to the various topics.

David,
I would be interested in a course like what you are proposing. Whether I could participate would depend on factors like timing. Would I need to be present online with the teacher live or would there be videos for me to watch?

Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-06-2014, 04:16 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I am interested.
John
Old 09-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Steven Finley

I would be really interested in an autograph authentication course especially if it included a library of exemplars for use after the course.

Last edited by sbfinley; 09-06-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:55 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Clearly, Dan's a free thinker. My college won't want his kind. At least not at in-state tuition.

Besides, one of the courses is on spinal surgery and I'm pretty that's not covered on the Net54 or CU chatboards. Maybe on game used universe, I don't check there regularly.

P.s. I hope your dentist took actual courses, rather than learned what he knows by reading WebMD chatboards.

Last edited by drcy; 09-07-2014 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:24 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Thanks for the input. What I'll do is work on the set up of a course and work on the dissemination and particulars later. Will keep me busy and out of trouble.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:56 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

P.s., there wouldn't be a course on autographs, as that's not in my area of knowledge. Identifying and appraising Ming vases would be a perfectly legitimate topic for a course, but not one that I'd conduct as I know almost nothing about Ming vases.

Last edited by drcy; 09-07-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:39 AM
T!M R10rd@n

It definitely sounds interesting.