NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2016, 04:03 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default the national...wheres the good stuff

everyone reports on some pre war and big ticket psa cards
but i havent heard anyone report on regionals,test issues
did any one see
esskays briggs hunters
dice games discs 55 topps stamps 66 punchouts 67 standups
rare postcards...van patrick, gunthers,schumachers
etc etc etc
seems to me no one is buying the rare stuff only the stuff you can find every day in every auction from every dealer
any reports on any of this stuff?
larry
Old 08-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Glyn Parson

Default I had

A showcase full of 1973 pinups and 1973 comics. Not quite as rare as some of the things listed. But not easy either. There was interest in them but no sales. You are correct though the market is soft on that stuff and hot on the easier items.

Last edited by glynparson; 08-06-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Not sure what "the good stuff"!translates to, other than "the stuff I am interested in".
Old 08-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
A showcase full of 1974 pinups and 1974 topps comics. Not quite as rare as some of the things listed. But not easy either. There was interest in them but no sales. You are correct though the market is soft on that stuff and hot on the easier items.
That seem the case in Pre-war nowadays. I setup up at a local show today. It was fun but if I didn't have any 50s and 60s Topps my show sales would have been quite a bit slower. I still love pre-war but for local shows I can't "only" do it if I want to have continual decent shows. That being said there seems to be a whole lot of really nice Pre-War on the market right now and I will be surprised if I don't pick up a bit more for my collection soon. I still have no real interest, today, in collecting anything but Pre-War. It is fun handling the cards I did when I was a kid....but they just seem so pedestrian to me. What can I say?

btw, sorry to go a little off topic but the thread is sort of off topic on our front page anyway.....all in fun...And we'll see if anyone posts about some rare post war issues......or heck, pre-war ones too!!

Last edited by Leon; 08-06-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:52 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default National

Yeah i didnt know where this should go
my only point is really..if i had unlimited money
Like these investors...given a choice of buying a mantle dice game or a 52..id buy the dice game...the 52 i can buy 7 days a week in every grade the dice game shows up. Every 20 years.....so i guess thats almost proof that investors and not collectors are driving the market
Old 08-06-2016, 05:11 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Rare Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
everyone reports on some pre war and big ticket psa cards but i havent heard anyone report on regionals,test issues did any one see esskays briggs huntersdice games discs 55 topps stamps 66 punchouts 67 standups rare postcards...van patrick, gunthers,schumachers etc etc etc
seems to me no one is buying the rare stuff only the stuff you can find every day in every auction from every dealer any reports on any of this stuff?larry
Larry,

Personally I don't think that "no one is buying the rare stuff", I just think that the rare stuff you're talking about is in the hands of collectors currently (or possibly dealers that want way, way too much) and just aren't available. At least that's what I'm seeing for what I personally collect. A friend of mine picked up a 1968 Topps Plak AL checklist, but I believe that's all he found as far as the oddball stuff.

If anyone has any of the rare Brooksie stuff available please let me know I'm in the market...
Old 08-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Brian Dwyer

We graded a complete 58 Bell Brand set with PSA at the show, with all grading between PSA 5 and PSA 8. We also have a complete Lummis Peanut Butter set and a group of approximately 15-20 Briggs, so there's some of it out there. Stay tuned for our October auction.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Val Kehl

Larry, I mostly focus on pre-War cards, so I wasn't looking for scarce post-War regionals, test issues, etc. But I did notice some Briggs Meats. John Rumierz always has some scarce post-War issues - I marveled at his large group of 1954 Blossom Dairy Charleston Senators in superb condition - John had several cards from another scarce issue that caught my eye, but I can't remember what issue it was (I have "CRS" disease real bad!). I didn't see any Gunthers - I don't think I would have missed these! A Net54er had a supply of 1948-50 Safe-T-Cards, and I was able to pick up a Mickey Vernon (an upgrade) and a Clark Griffith (Vic, thanks again!).
Val

Last edited by ValKehl; 08-06-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:53 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default tough stuff

plenty of my money has been spent with REA
lummis is rare...have that set though...always count on rea for some regionals and test issues
obviously AHs are making huge money now selling 100k mantle and getting 20k buyers premium...so cant blame them for catering to psa market
any advance list of briggs?
rumierez is responsible for some of these checklists whose cards i cant find
sometimes i think he has the only 1

Last edited by sflayank; 08-06-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:27 PM

Default Ayup !

..." rumierez is responsible for some of these checklists whose cards I cant find
sometimes I think he has the only 1 "

..so I'm not the only one who suspects a vast Rumirez-Lemke workshop conspiracy''

Old 08-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Al Richter

Default Tough Stuff

You are pigging a lot of the good stuff Larry
Old 08-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
John Rumierz always has some scarce post-War issues
That is who I bought my Lummis Peanut Butter type card example of Puddinhead Jones off of shortly after Leon's Heritage Auction last year. I don't know John Rumirez personally, but I recognized the name as we were exchanging PMs. He wrote that he has been collecting Lummis Peanut Butter cards for 40 years and still only has 9/12 cards in the set.

I was shocked when a Lummis Peanut Butter card showed up on eBay with a reasonable BIN.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I still have no real interest, today, in collecting anything but Pre-War. It is fun handling the cards I did when I was a kid....but they just seem so pedestrian to me. What can I say?
You Nail'd it fir me Leon!
Fir the Longest time...
I just couldn't come up wit Any Kind of Intellectual Explanation
Of "Why" I Could or Wouldn't move even a Lil' bit Away from Pre~War!

Post War,...
Ahhh, "The Bicycle Peddle" Era ... : )
JuST doesn't feed my CraviN fir the History Lessons
THaT Pre~War Still Amaze me wit!

I Do Imagine that Sumday...
The Post War Generation Will Complete my Lessons Learn'd...
Of the Greatest Game Evar Created!!!

Ohhh & JuST the Other DaY...
My Younger Bruddar told me,
He ALoNe Clap'd at Least 10+ Mickey Rookie
& 2nd Year Cards iNTa OblivioN...
All Cause Dat was what meant most ta him back THeN!
His Monkey Handle Barr'd, Banna Seat Schwinn Ride...
Wit the Mick, WackiN One Out of da Park wit Evry Clap!!!

My Apologies Also fir OT da~railment!
And InferriN ta Sum of the MoST Iconic Cards
From da MoST IntriguiN Post War Era...

WHaT'em I TinkiN!?!?
Old 08-07-2016, 06:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
..." rumierez is responsible for some of these checklists whose cards I cant find
sometimes I think he has the only 1 "

..so I'm not the only one who suspects a vast Rumirez-Lemke workshop conspiracy''

John is one of my fave guys to sit down and have a lot of beer with at the Nationals. Ya'll leave him alone.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:27 AM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
You are pigging a lot of the good stuff Larry
My thoughts exactly Al.

I also would love to see the list of the Briggs on the floor and in REA. Val do you remember if they were Washington or New York players?
Old 08-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Phil Garry

Since there was no response to this question posted in the other Atlantic City thread......

Anyone see Negro League material at the show? It seemed that the past several years that I attended, only Ryan C. and maybe the AH's had anything significant, and theirs wasn't for sale, just previews for viewing.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Phil

Not much at all.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Val Kehl

Dan & Larry, I didn't see any Briggs cards of NY players. And, the only Senators cards I saw were the relatively-easy-to-find players. One dealer (707?) had what appeared to be a small stack of them, but I didn't look at them, as I quit collecting this set several years ago and parted ways with all but my favorite players. The only Briggs I am looking for these days is a 2-card panel with Pete Runnels for my Runnels collection.
Val
Old 08-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Paul

The only signed pre-WWI war cards I saw were three signed M101-2 from the Steen Collection at Mill Creek Sports. The same ones they have on ebay at 3x the cost they bought them a year ago. I'd love to say these have appreciated since last year, but when I offer to sell them the ones I bought for 2x the price I bought them last year they decline. I wonder why that could be...

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-08-2016, 05:26 AM
Phil Garry

Thanks, Glyn. Having just moved from NJ last year, figured it wasn't worth the trip from a buying standpoint for me. Still would have liked to be there for the other fun times at the National.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Larry

Quote:
That seem the case in Pre-war nowadays. I setup up at a local show today. It was fun but if I didn't have any 50s and 60s Topps my show sales would have been quite a bit slower. I still love pre-war but for local shows I can't "only" do it if I want to have continual decent shows. That being said there seems to be a whole lot of really nice Pre-War on the market right now and I will be surprised if I don't pick up a bit more for my collection soon. I still have no real interest, today, in collecting anything but Pre-War. It is fun handling the cards I did when I was a kid....but they just seem so pedestrian to me. What can I say?

btw, sorry to go a little off topic but the thread is sort of off topic on our front page anyway.....all in fun...And we'll see if anyone posts about some rare post war issues......or heck, pre-war ones too!!

Very astute re the time for buying prewar, Leon. It is a great time to buy much rarer and significant items than those selling for "magnifico" bucks at the moment, if you can just find them. With the current investor's market focusing in another direction, a lot of seller's of the items I am looking for (primarily 19-teen's and '20's) aren't coming out at the moment. This period will pass, however, and the market will eventually shift back to prewar.

Highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 08-08-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:48 PM

Maybe not so much at a card show but it seems like a really good time to be buying 19th century. Interest seems down lately and I've been able to get some nice deals.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:33 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

It was my first National since 1988, the last time it was in AC. It was run by Ron Durham.
Collecting wise, for the most part, i struck out. I actullay had more signed 1934 goudeys in my bag than in the entire show. I brought 6 with me to sell/trade, but only found 4 there, all of which i already had.
Was a lot of fun to catch up with those i haven't seen in a while and to meet new people.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 08-08-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:29 PM

I was at the show...saw a couple 67 stand ups, 73 candy lids,a couple 67 punchouts singles and full panels, 2 or three 68 action stickers, and no topps disc.
I was the friend Mark spoke of earlier..I picked up a 68 American league plak checklist.
Not many full Bazooka boxes and all the panels I found were cut bad.
The room was Empty of 69 supers and a few high grade 64 stand ups stars were for sale
707 had lots of nice 64 SU commons but too high in price
Old 08-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default here is some good stuff (at least for me) that I saw at the show

Hi Guys:

Here are some good items I saw at the National that you don't often see.

The three high Star Cal's are not listed in any Standard Catalog I have ever seen.

The 1961 Post Cereal Pinwheel supermarket display is one thing I could not resist buying!

I also saw the really rare 1963 Houston Colt 45's Pepsi Bateman though I did not take a photo of it.

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ashburn3HiStarCal.jpg (73.9 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg Dodgers3HiStarCal.jpg (71.6 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg Yanks3HiStarCal.jpg (73.8 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg Pinwheel display.jpg (79.8 KB, 491 views)
Old 08-08-2016, 04:58 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default national

pinwheel is cool
Old 08-08-2016, 06:03 PM
d.ean

The pinwheel is cool. I would have to believe at one time there were additional pieces to the display.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Fred- was the Bateman for sale or an auction house? If a sale any idea the asking price?
Old 08-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
Yeah i didnt know where this should go
my only point is really..if i had unlimited money
Like these investors...given a choice of buying a mantle dice game or a 52..id buy the dice game...the 52 i can buy 7 days a week in every grade the dice game shows up. Every 20 years.....so i guess thats almost proof that investors and not collectors are driving the market
++++1! The investors know just enough to be dangerous.

Happy collecting,

Larry
Old 08-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
A showcase full of 1973 pinups and 1973 comics. Not quite as rare as some of the things listed. But not easy either. There was interest in them but no sales. You are correct though the market is soft on that stuff and hot on the easier items.
From everything I've seen, Glyn, the '73 pinups are pretty damn tough, though I think the asking prices of those I've seen on my continuing ebay search are, shall we say, extremely optimistic. I only have the McCovey, and paid what I consider a very reasonable price for him a few years back.

Best regards,

Larry
Old 08-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Larry

Love the Star Cals Fred, especially the Ashburn and Kiner--two favorite players of mine!

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 08-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Eric Bea.chley

You're right. Tons of T206 in all grades but the rare stuff was a bit harder to find. Although the auction preview booths had some amazing stuff.

Did see a Sporting Life Bates in a bargain bin that I hadn't seen before. But it was a Cincinnati and my checklist said it should be Philadelphia. So I left it behind.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:40 AM
Jonathan Sterling

I like many on this board appreciate the rare regional cards from the 50's and I cannot believe I was the only guy to notice the Eskay FULL BOXES that Huggins and Scott had in their auction display. (Since John Scott is one of my favorite people in this hobby I hope they do well) There were a number of rare and obscure cards at the national but certainly not displayed as prominently or in the numbers as they would have been when they were a focus of many collectors including myself. As for John Ramirez when I was a kid 13-14 John was one of the guys who would take his time to educate me about this hobby and I am forever in his debt and I am happy that I ran into him at this years national and told him so. Because many of the collectors I met in the mid 70's are not here to thank. I was fortunate to find a full Bazooka box (1968 with Clemente ) on my want list that was in my budget so for me the national was a huge success first for the people I saw and met and second because I came home with a great card. I hope everybody else who attended had a great time as well.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Ryan Christoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Anyone see Negro League material at the show? It seemed that the past several years that I attended, only Ryan C. and maybe the AH's had anything significant, and theirs wasn't for sale, just previews for viewing.
Saw a ton of Negro League material in some cases near where Love Of The Game Auctions was set up. Great stuff, all of it for sale. There were original photographs of Josh Gibson, Biz Mackey, Jud Wilson and other HOFers. Cards of Pop Lloyd, Cristobal Torriente, Jose Mendez, Buck O'Neil, etc. Real photo postcards of Alejandro Oms, Ray Dandridge, Spot Poles and others. Seems like it was exactly your kind of stuff, Phil.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post

Did see a Sporting Life Bates in a bargain bin that I hadn't seen before. But it was a Cincinnati and my checklist said it should be Philadelphia. So I left it behind.
Good call!!
Old 08-11-2016, 10:29 AM
Mac Wubben

Quote:
Good call!!
I'll second that ;-)