NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Default The Beauty of the Ungraded Card

I have a confession to make: I silently judged the old-timers that refuse to get their cards slabbed. I viewed them as fogies who refuse to change with the times. I mean, why not use something at your disposal that can protect your card and verify authenticity or if it has been altered???
And then I got this guy in the mail. I held it in my hand. I smelled it. I enjoyed the card in a way you simply cannot with the platic "tombs" as the old-timers refer to slabs. There really is something to holding history in your hands and feeling a 100 year old card. Fogies...you have a point. I am sorry that i judged you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.3 KB, 461 views)
Old 08-12-2016, 12:50 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Gorgeous card there! Some cards really do just need to be held!

Last edited by yanksfan09; 08-12-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:33 PM
David M.

I saw your pick-up and remembered one that appeared in the pick-ups from the National and I was struck by how different they appear. I know nothing about the Turkey Reds, but I thought it could just be the scanner settings or different printings since this is a checklist back and the other may not be. I just thought the difference was rather striking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turkey Red Cobb.jpg (48.9 KB, 413 views)
Old 08-12-2016, 02:56 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

The Card Gods punished me. I got it slabbed for safety purposes. And these idiots gave it a 1.5 for minor paper loss. Not very different than the one above in mu opinion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.6 KB, 404 views)
Old 08-12-2016, 02:59 PM
David M.

Ouch! Minor paper loss will usually do that to you. That's unfortunate.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:00 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

The back with "eggregious paper loss."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.6 KB, 401 views)
Old 08-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Beautiful card I would love to have.

With that said, I don't know if I would call that "minor". With all four corners torn, I would say that psa and BVG would have gone with a 1. I think the 1.5 on both examples was generous imho.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-12-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:05 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yeah, four quarter sized chunks out of the back, I would say it's the right grade. Beautiful card front, but technically Poor to Fair.

And yes, the difference to me is the the image of the other Cobb is oversaturated with color by either scanner or camera preferences.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Daryl

The true collector despises grading (especially PSA), until it's time to cash in.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:18 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
The true collector despises grading (especially PSA), until it's time to cash in.
Just because you're a "true" collector, doesn't mean you're an idiot
Old 08-13-2016, 12:33 AM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
+ plenty, regardless of the TPG..
Old 08-13-2016, 05:47 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I have a confession to make: I silently judged the old-timers that refuse to get their cards slabbed. I viewed them as fogies who refuse to change with the times. I mean, why not use something at your disposal that can protect your card and verify authenticity or if it has been altered???
And then I got this guy in the mail. I held it in my hand. I smelled it. I enjoyed the card in a way you simply cannot with the platic "tombs" as the old-timers refer to slabs. There really is something to holding history in your hands and feeling a 100 year old card. Fogies...you have a point. I am sorry that i judged you.
one of the most beautiful cards even made IMO - nice pick up
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:57 AM
Jason Wells

I agree the 1.5 is a generous grade and the best a card with that kind of paper loss could get regardless of front condition. I recently graded 11 T210-7 I picked up very similarly damaged by scrapbooking. 9 got a SGC 10 and only 2 made SGC 20/1.5. Still a very nice Cobb. Great pickup.

Edited to add I guess I can no longer call myself a true collector after admitting to grading my cards

Last edited by Jason; 08-13-2016 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

But the idea that "paper loss is paper loss" is not very logical. Paper loss on Cobb's face or arm, for example, is not the same as paper loss in an innocuous area like on my card. To put a beautiful card in the same grade category as others with pinholes and enormous flaws is just inconsistent and stupid.
Having have said that, i knew is was going to get a 1.5. I slabbed it SOLELY for protection.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:06 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Yeah, four quarter sized chunks out of the back, I would say it's the right grade. Beautiful card front, but technically Poor to Fair.

And yes, the difference to me is the the image of the other Cobb is oversaturated with color by either scanner or camera preferences.
I agree with everything you said. But read above.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:14 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
But the idea that "paper loss is paper loss" is not very logical. Paper loss on Cobb's face or arm, for example, is not the same as paper loss in an innocuous area like on my card. To put a beautiful card in the same grade category as others with pinholes and enormous flaws is just inconsistent and stupid.
Having have said that, i knew is was going to get a 1.5. I slabbed it SOLELY for protection.
When I read this post yesterday, I thought the same as what you wrote above and it got me thinking. I wonder if it would be possible to have grades for the front of a card and also the back?

I personally, and I assume others as well, don't necessarily care as much about the looks of the backs as I do the fronts.

In rare/expensive cards, I can understand someone wanting a pristine card that is as perfect out back as it is on the front, but I think the majority don't really care to be honest?

Last edited by irv; 08-13-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:25 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Yeah Dale, I am with you. My suggestion would be to add a "presentation" subgrade to be incorporated along with corners, edges, surface, and centering. That way, cards that are not "technically" a 5, but present like a 5, would be a 3 instead of a 2. The presentation sub would bump up the grades of beautiful cards that have minor or hidden technical flaws.
Personally, i buy the card and not the holder and love to take advantage of these cards at lower prices. But i think that ultimately, smart collectors that arent hung up on high grades (or arent extremely wealthy), will pay the premium to buy the nicer card. My cobb will hopefully never be sold, but if it is, VCP is not a consideration in my mind. Cards that present THIS well for the grade will not and should not sell for the same price as the 1.5 that looks like a 1.5.

Last edited by orly57; 08-13-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:21 PM
Luke Lyon

That's "minor paper loss" when you're selling, and "significant paper loss" when you're buying

All kidding aside, it's an absolutely beautiful card. I don't mind a little bit of paper loss on the edges of the back at all especially when you can pay fractions of the price of a 4 or 5 for the a card that looks just as nice on the front.

Last edited by Luke; 08-13-2016 at 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-14-2016, 07:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This reminds me of the time I was at a good hobby friends house (Hi John E.). I was perusing his binders as he is an old time collector with great stuff. As I was going through his E92 binder I noticed all kinds of backs, Crofts and Allen, Crofts Cocoa, Dockman etc.... He doesn't care what is on back he only collects those by the fronts. He has the player for the set....check. No need to look at the backs .... (however, I have always been a back collector too so of course looked)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
When I read this post yesterday, I thought the same as what you wrote above and it got me thinking. I wonder if it would be possible to have grades for the front of a card and also the back?

I personally, and I assume others as well, don't necessarily care as much about the looks of the backs as I do the fronts.

In rare/expensive cards, I can understand someone wanting a pristine card that is as perfect out back as it is on the front, but I think the majority don't really care to be honest?
Old 08-14-2016, 08:06 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This reminds me of the time I was at a good hobby friends house (Hi John E.). I was perusing his binders as he is an old time collector with great stuff. As I was going through his E92 binder I noticed all kinds of backs, Crofts and Allen, Crofts Cocoa, Dockman etc.... He doesn't care what is on back he only collects those by the fronts. He has the player for the set....check. No need to look at the backs .... (however, I have always been a back collector too so of course looked)
I understand, for the most part, I think, the rare backs of some of the cards you speak of so I can understand the importance of those being in good shape.

I think of my card, as an example, with the paper loss on the front and if it were on the back instead.

I believe, based on what I have read/seen, that in either case, my card would come back with a PR-1?

I guess, depending on the mindset of the collector, I would have more buyers and likely higher bids if it were on the back instead of the front, but at the same time, I think paper loss on the back should be graded slightly different, or with a qualifier which states that, than what it would be if the paper loss were on the front?

Not likely to happen based on what I said above, but it is something, imo, for the TPG's such as SGC, PSA and BVG to consider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM1.jpg (78.0 KB, 69 views)